Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky last night

Options
  • 26-11-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Last night was wonderful, despite being windy.
    Did anyone else see the ISS and shuttle pass (3s behind ISS)? Saw it from work ~17:10 rose in the west and passed over south Dublin appearing to pass between the Moon and Jupiter. First time I've seen both in orbit at the same time.
    About 18:30 saw a fast and long track of a meteor, pass through Cassiopia Cygnus and Lyra.
    Then snaped a pic of the quarter moon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_beaney/4133997501/in/photostream/

All the best and clear skies
    Calchas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

calchas wrote: »
    Last night was wonderful, despite being windy.
    Did anyone else see the ISS and shuttle pass (3s behind ISS)? Saw it from work ~17:10 rose in the west and passed over south Dublin appearing to pass between the Moon and Jupiter. First time I've seen both in orbit at the same time.
    About 18:30 saw a fast and long track of a meteor, pass through Cassiopia Cygnus and Lyra.
    Then snaped a pic of the quarter moon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_beaney/4133997501/in/photostream/

All the best and clear skies
    Calchas

Dammit. I'm so mad I missed it. Sky clear here last night but no meteorites in the twenty seconds I managed to stand out there for.

PS Calchas-the reason I posted in the first place was to say I loved your photo. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Missed it last night but looking good for this evening at about 17:34 from Waterford. Lovely clear sky to the southwest, from when I work I have a clear view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just got enough of a clear sky to see half of Atlantis'/ISS transition across the sky.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

lord lucan wrote: »
    Just got enough of a clear sky to see half of Atlantis'/ISS transition across the sky.:)
    Yeah just passed here, lovely clear sky!

• Advertisement

Totally agree about last nights sky. I live in Lucan, near Weston and the view of the ISS and SS was fantastic. Tonight wasnt bad either.

I stayed up till about 2 last night skywatching. it was like looking at Stellarium in my back garden.
    Magical.
    Tonight isnt too shabby either.Slight Halo around the moon, very soft clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I missed it. :( I nearly preferred when the ISS passed later in the evening in the summer. I'm usually busy that early to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Beeker wrote: »
    Missed it last night but looking good for this evening at about 17:34 from Waterford. Lovely clear sky to the southwest, from when I work I have a clear view.

Tnx Beeker , havent had much time recently , just copped a view of your time posted here , went out and saw thm both , didnt think i would as i havent the greatest of views to the south , ISS was easy , but SS was harder , but still saw it , one more pass about now , going to have a look :p

lashing rain here in the west as usual and not a sign of anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭calchas

fifilarue~: manythanks.
    Stacks of about 200 from 1000 frames to make a 5 shot mosaic. The wind and horrid seeing was less limiting than I though it might but wasn't easy.

I had most of the desk watching the sky over central Dublin last night, was fun.

SS de-orbit burn and touch-down is before it can show here tomorrow.

BTW I use calsky it gives more info than heavens-above and I find it more accurate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement