Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton may ground-share

• 26-11-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭

Everton chief executive Robert Elstone has revealed the club would consider sharing a ground with city rivals Liverpool after plans for a new stadium at Kirkby were rejected.

The club and Tesco had hoped to build a new stadium and a shopping complex, in a move which would have seen Everton leave Goodison Park.

However, the idea was turned down by Communities and Local Government Secretary John Denham.

The news has raised the possibility of Everton and Liverpool coming to an agreement to share a ground, with Liverpool's plans to build a new stadium at Stanley Park being hit by financial problems.

The fierce rivals have previously expressed a reluctance about sharing a ground, but in the wake of the failed Kirkby project, Elstone has revealed Everton are not against the idea if it makes financial sense for both clubs.

Option
    Asked about the idea of ground-sharing, Elstone told Sky Sports News. "It's certainly one of the options that we will need to cover.

"A shared stadium is perhaps an option if it's affordable.

"We have to look at where we can raise money, because potentially Liverpool will have to obviously contribute to that, and Liverpool City Council perhaps might need to find some money.

"Our history is one of creativity and innovation and if we are the first major English club to look at sharing then we're not scared of making those decisions."

Unlikely
    But Liverpool's deputy executive director Peter Shaw played down the possibility of the city's two clubs sharing a stadium.

"It's not on our agenda at the moment," said Shaw.

"Liverpool are progressing forward with our own stadium. That is the position we are still in.

"The LFC stadium is quite far progressed and once the financial markets reopen for business the LFC stadium will progress further."

When asked whether the idea of a groundshare with Everton could be a possibility, he said: "That's not for me to answer."

makes sense to me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    makes sense to me

it does.

but liverpool will resist it.

Peter Shaw, executive director, came out and said it's not on our agenda at the moment, and sounded very cagey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not a fan of ground shares.

I especially think these 2 teams should have seperate homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

We'll share the same ground, when we're buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Boggles wrote: »
    I especially think these 2 teams should have seperate homes.

of course we should.

but if it's a case of choosing financial security, then swallowing our pride might be worth it.

as has been said on numerous occasions, Milan and Inter do just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

As much as opposing fans will resist this does it not make compelling sense for both of them from a business perspective now?

Everton are at a complete impasse due to their stadium getting rejected whilst Liverpool need financial input to start building theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Paleface wrote: »
    As much as opposing fans will resist this does it not make compelling sense for both of them from a business perspective now?

Everton are at a complete impasse due to their stadium getting rejected whilst Liverpool need financial input to start building theirs.

While i agree with others saying it makes financial sense, i just don't see it happening.

In a similar situation, I would not want United sharing with City (i know it happened previously, with United playing at Maine Road but that was cause OT had been bombed, so it was a different situation)

A shared stadium would never be the same as Anfield or Goodison, it would always lack the soul of a true 'home', imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Have you ever been to the San Siro for a match? I was there for the United AC Milan match a couple of years ago, and to suggest it doesn't have the feel of a home is just silly. Every single supporter in the stadium was at home and it was an atmosphere I've never seen re-created anywhere. Amazing stadium.

Beyond that, it just makes business sense. Liverpool can't get the financing for their new stadium. Everton can't get it either. Together they could build a 70,000 seater easily, which would drastically increase their gate reciepts, drastically, since both of them would come close to filling it. I guess its not the perfect situation, but that situation isn't available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It shouldnt happen.

Liverpool fans don't want it to. That should be reason enough.

People mentioning the Inter/AC thing is funny, their fans hate the situation & Inter are trying to get a new stadium for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The always enlightening Phil Thompson was interviewed on SSN earlier. His reasons against it amounted to nothing more then 'it just wouldn't work'. Gotcha Phil, Thanks for teasing it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

LFC are going ahead with their new stadium, so ummm I expect to see this new 'stadium' in 2054 the way things are going at the moment.

a ground share is not what anyone wants but in the current situation it might be the only viable option for both clubs.

I would prefer EFC to redevelop goodison, even it it meant a 45,000 all seater. It is possible for sure, but the logistics and cost would be immense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    People mentioning the Inter/AC thing is funny, their fans hate the situation & Inter are trying to get a new stadium for themselves.

+ they have had a history of problems with the pitch due to the over use

Id be quite happy with a ground share if the pitch could be figured out

I'd prefer to stay in Anfield with less money to compete than move to a groundshare with Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Groundshare would tarnish both clubs future history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

PHB wrote: »
    Have you ever been to the San Siro for a match? I was there for the United AC Milan match a couple of years ago, and to suggest it doesn't have the feel of a home is just silly. Every single supporter in the stadium was at home and it was an atmosphere I've never seen re-created anywhere. Amazing stadium.

thats a champions league game with everything on the line, i was there for the roma/AC game last month and i have to say i was less than impressed, nice stadium but felt like something was missing, fans for one lol. wasn't a patch on the camp nou or the bernabeau for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't groundshare if no-one wants to share with you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thats nice of them,they are considering a groundshare with us,.Let them consider all they want and when they decide what they want to do we will tell them what we think.

I hope this never happens tbh.

It's far from the friendly rivalry Sky will have you believe, very much bitter these days.

Liverpool fans in Liverpool don't want it ffs.

Again, I hope this never fcuking happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Liverpool fans in Liverpool don't want it ffs.
    Well I know a number from Liverpool who would be in favour of it. There goes that theory.

I wish people would stop speaking collectively for every Liverpool/Everton fan, fair enough have your own opinions but please don't use sweeping statements.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Well I know a number from Liverpool who would be in favour of it. There goes that theory.

I wish people would stop speaking collectively for every Liverpool/Everton fan, fair enough have your own opinions but please don't use sweeping statements.

ok sorry, the majority of Liverpool fans do not want a ground share.

ok sorry, the majority of Liverpool fans do not want a ground share.
    The fact of the matter is they have never been polled on it so again thats hearsay. I'm not denying they may not be in favor, or be in favor for that matter, but there is nothing to be gained from throwing a statement out there as fact.

• Advertisement

The fact of the matter is they have never been polled on it so again thats hearsay. I'm not denying they may not be in favor, or be in favor for that matter, but there is nothing to be gained from throwing a statement out there as fact.

I apologised already. All I'm saying is I'd be shocked if the vast majority of Liverpool fans didn't want to ground share.

I apologised already. All I'm saying is I'd be shocked if the vast majority of Liverpool fans didn't want to ground share.
    I agree with you but thats because they have been shown plans for a brilliant stadium of their own, why on earth would anyone want something which deemed to be lesser.

However the likelihood is that stadium is not achievable anymore.

I find it hard to believe that Liverpool fans would be as shortsighted as to rather stay in Anfield and fall further behind Man Utd/Arsenal and whoever else is raking in extra revenue, than share a 70,000 stadium with the club that are embedded in their history if it was the only option available.

I realise now we'll get a few loons saying yes they'd rather stay in Anfield under those circumstances, fair play to you all.

I agree with you but thats because they have been shown plans for a brilliant stadium of their own, why on earth would anyone want something which deemed to be lesser.

However the likelihood is that stadium is not achievable anymore.

I find it hard to believe that Liverpool fans would be as shortsighted as to rather stay in Anfield and fall further behind Man Utd/Arsenal and whoever else is raking in extra revenue, than share a 70,000 stadium with the club that are embedded in their history if it was the only option available.

I realise now we'll get a few loons saying yes they'd rather stay in Anfield under those circumstances, fair play to you all.

It's not gonna happen with G&H at the club I'd imagine but how long will they be at the club? Until they get what they consider a good offer.

Liverpool are a bigger draw than Everton for any potential investor as a worldwide brand name and sooner rather than later an investor will come knocking.

It's not gonna happen with G&H at the club I'd imagine but how long will they be at the club? Until they get what they consider a good offer.

Liverpool are a bigger draw than Everton for any potential investor as a worldwide brand name and sooner rather than later an investor will come knocking.
    I don't doubt that but how long can Liverpool play the waiting game? Things are looking too rosey in Dubai at the moment. In fact the country is in financial turmoil.

Aside from identity tell me what are the negatives from a Liverpool fans (you) point of view about a shared stadium?

Im not saying I hope a ground share happens, but Liverpool fans should remember Everton conceived Anfield in the first place and later left it to Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Economically speaking it makes much more sense for both clubs. If they pool their resources they get a bigger stadium for less.

Town planning wise it makes much more sense for the citizens of liverpool, it'd be much easier and cost effective to provide adequate transport and parking facilities for a single stadium.

Footballing wise it's entirely down to the fans. Overuse of the pitch shouldn't be an issue if the place has a good grounds man (the San Siro thing is just fans making excuses imo, i've never seen it in that bad a condition except in high heat). With proper design considerations it should be possible to build a stadium that maintains both fans sense of history, however all that's entirely useless if they fans aren't open to it.

Imo, it's up to the clubs to turn the fans around to it. Otherwise it's a waste of time and you'll end up with a shambles of a stadium no one wants to go to (similar to the Del Allpi).

Economically speaking it makes much more sense for both clubs. If they pool their resources they get a bigger stadium for less.

Town planning wise it makes much more sense for the citizens of liverpool, it'd be much easier and cost effective to provide adequate transport and parking facilities for a single stadium.

Footballing wise it's entirely down to the fans. Overuse of the pitch shouldn't be an issue if the place has a good grounds man (the San Siro thing is just fans making excuses imo, i've never seen it in that bad a condition except in high heat). With proper design considerations it should be possible to build a stadium that maintains both fans sense of history, however all that's entirely useless if they fans aren't open to it.

Imo, it's up to the clubs to turn the fans around to it. Otherwise it's a waste of time and you'll end up with a shambles of a stadium no one wants to go to (similar to the Del Allpi).

I look at stadiums in Germany and my blood boils :mad::mad::mad:

The Commerz Bank Arena, home of the less than illustrious Eintracht Frankfurt for instance.

seems a distant dream for Everton or Livepool also at the moment in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

its the logical thing to do...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

but Liverpool fans should remember Everton conceived Anfield in the first place and later left it to Liverpool.

Does not have much relevance over 100 years later.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Does not have much relevance over 100 years later.
    Maybe you too can answer the question I poised in #25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Hopefully this never happens. If it does i'll be disgusted.

I don't doubt that but how long can Liverpool play the waiting game? Things are looking too rosey in Dubai at the moment. In fact the country is in financial turmoil.

Aside from identity tell me what are the negatives from a Liverpool fans (you) point of view about a shared stadium?

Going to Anfield to watch Liverpool match for me is not just about watching Liverpool play, it's about the stadium, the Kop, the statue of the great man, the Shankley and Paisley gates, knowing that there's 5 european cups sitting below the stand, along with all the other haul.

Basically all things LFC.

Sharing a stadium means a lot of that will be lost.

Just my view.

Whilst I value your opinion but a load of sentimental drivel isn't going to progress your club. Your options unfortunately are few and far between.

Surely there comes a time when all this means nothing in favour of the better good, e.g progressing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thread needs a poll to guage the proportion of Livepool fans who think this is a good idea.

No-brainer to me. Has to be done if Liverpool amd Everton don't want to become afterthoughts in the Premiership. Liverpool are already falling badly behind the big boys: in two-three years time City will be regularly taking their place in the Champions' League. With the loss of that revenue, it'd be suicide to turn down the consistent long-term income a new ground would bring, when the only real reason not to do so is the small mindedness of a few fans towards their local rivals.

And Everton have the genius of Moyes to thank for how unbelievably well they've done in managing to compete for the top 6 on a small budget. He won't stop around for too long if they don't match his ambition.

Going to Anfield to watch Liverpool match for me is not just about watching Liverpool play, it's about the stadium, the Kop, the statue of the great man, the Shankley and Paisley gates, knowing that there's 5 european cups sitting below the stand, along with all the other haul.

Basically all things LFC.

Sharing a stadium means a lot of that will be lost.

Just my view.

Not sharing a stadium means the prospect of adding to that haul will get slimmer and slimmer.

Which is it lads, wallow in the past for another 20 years, or get back in the game and start competing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

flahavaj wrote: »
    Not sharing a stadium means the prospect of adding to that haul will get slimmer and slimmer.

Which is it lads, wallow in the past for another 20 years, or get back in the game and start competing?
    Yeah because it's that black and white is'nt it.:rolleyes:

progressing at the cost of what?

moving ground is bad enough, but moving to share a ground with a bitter rival is beyond contemplation for me. i'd prefer to fall behind than do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Liverpool fans may not want it, but is it a matter of wanting it?
    Fans of clubs havent wanted things before, including fans of Liverpool, but the owners did it anyway, and guess what the fans still went to watch them.....

The club are severely in debt.
    The club NEED to maximise revenue ASAP.
    The owners CANNOT raise the cash needed for their own stadium.
    Arsenal and United already have bigger stadia with a massive increase in match day revenue as a result.
    Chelsea have a sugar daddy, as have city.
    Teams currenty around Liverpool (league wise) have similiar sized stadia.
    Revenue for the club may be cut severely if they dont make the top 4, leading to further issues down the line.

They simply HAVE to move to a bigger stadium before they fall further behind in the income stakes.
    Theres not a great chance of the club being sold in this climate without a bigger stadium.

I dunno, I think if things dont improve for Liverpool they could find themselves falling further and further being and the thoughts of sharing a stadium in which the costs are nowhere near as high as they would be other wise with almost the same income may be a lot more realistic.

Thread needs a poll to guage the proportion of Livepool fans who think this is a good idea.

No-brainer to me. Has to be done if Liverpool amd Everton don't want to become afterthoughts in the Premiership. Liverpool are already falling badly behind the big boys: in two-three years time City will be regularly taking their place in the Champions' League. With the loss of that revenue, it'd be suicide to turn down the consistent long-term income a new ground would bring, when the only real reason not to do so is the small mindedness of a few fans towards their local rivals.

And Everton have the genius of Moyes to thank for how unbelievably well they've done in managing to compete for the top 6 on a small budget. He won't stop around for too long if they don't match his ambition.

A poll on boards will hardly give a proper reading will it?

If there's a poll, keep it an open poll. We can discard the anti-pool brigades opinions.

Is it reasonable to propose a ground share between two sets of fans who despise each other? Seriously?

• Advertisement

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Yeah because it's that black and white is'nt it.:rolleyes:

You think Liverpool aren't gonna fall behind in the next few years if they don't mkive to a biger ground? How long can they fend off Man City and their millions with their current miserly budget? If they can't afford to build a new ground thekselves, isn't ground sharing with Everton the best option to fight on a more even keel with the big boys?

Dress it up all you like but thats the reality of the dire situation your club is currently in.

Is it reasonable to propose a ground share between two sets of fans who despise each other? Seriously?

Explain why this is a good enough reason not to move ground?

moving ground is bad enough, but moving to share a ground with a bitter rival is beyond contemplation for me. i'd prefer to fall behind than do that.
    Bitter rival is a matter of opinion and something which doesn't interest me to discuss to be honest, that for kids in the playground and lads propping up the bar on a Sunday afternoon.

Your closing comment is so shortsighted it is unbelievable to think someone could be so close minded.

In all fairness, its not like both sets of fans will be there at the same time? Barring the times that the clubs actually meet each other.........

re: the groundshare

isn't the point of a bigger ground that the extra revenue generated from bums on seats would help move the club forward?

is it not true that with Liverpool council being the ones who would build the stadium & supply the land that they would be taking a good chunk of the money taken on matchdays?

this is certainly the case in Italy where there is local groundshares that are funded by local councils.

would Everton honestly even be happy to play in a ground that would be half empty bar 3 or 4 games a season?

i'd have thought that would be a tad demoralising.

would Everton honestly even be happy to play in a ground that would be half empty bar 3 or 4 games a season?

i'd have thought that would be a tad demoralising.
    Are you incapable of holding a discussion without attempting some sort of ignorant side swipe?

re: the groundshare

isn't the point of a bigger ground that the extra revenue generated from bums on seats would help move the club forward?

is it not true that with Liverpool council being the ones who would build the stadium & supply the land that they would be taking a good chunk of the money taken on matchdays?

this is certainly the case in Italy where there is local groundshares that are funded by local councils.

The ground share doesnt HAVE to be funded in that manner.........
    This is a business decision we are talking about here, I am sure the businessmen at the top of both clubs would work out something mutually beneficial.
    Everton would be happier with a bigger stadium, revenue etc and it wouldnt be that empty - would it?
    60k seater was what Liverpool were planning.

Explain why this is a good enough reason not to move ground?

Liverpool fans do not like Everton or anything to do with their club.

Why should we want to share a stadium with them?

Anyway, it's only Everton spouting sh!te regarding this. LFC are not interested.

You an Everton fan I take it?

Are you incapable of holding a discussion without attempting some sort of ignorant side swipe?

my post was 100% serious :confused:

surely in moving to a new stadium, Everton would be doing all they could to enhance the atmosphere in the ground, sharing the ground with Liverpool would kill that almost instantly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement