Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bokeh

• 26-11-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Ultimate Cheese fest.

4135181237_cc3f5af24b_b.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i love bokeh

especially when its used in the correct sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

What's the incorrect way?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

some believe bokeh is basically the oof blur. i however am adiment that is not bokeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

some believe bokeh is basically the oof blur. i however am adiment that is not bokeh

Thats ok, I often make up completely wrongheaded private meanings for otherwise well understood words aswell :)

Not time to digest these replies as I'm out but I love background blur/bokeh and really miss this on my f4 24-105L....I far prefer this lens to the 24-70L cept for the bokeh.
    I hate the way Canon take so long to release good quality L lens replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Were you intending for the bokeh to look like hearts or was that just a happy coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

What is bokeh?

charybdis wrote: »
    What is bokeh?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml

the dots of out of focus light... in a nutshell

imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Now i want a 50mm f/1.4 even ore :pac:

• Advertisement

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml

the dots of out of focus light... in a nutshell

imo

I'm confused as to why you link to an article that, if anything, actually CONTRADICTS your opinion ?

Anyhow, the general understanding of the word 'bokeh' is the 'quality' of the OOF areas. Its a qualititive term. So it's not actually accurate to describe an image as having 'bokeh' as such. It might have smooth bokeh, or harsh bokeh, or (worst of all) nisen-bokeh :rolleyes: and other pixel peepery terminology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

charybdis wrote: »
    What is bokeh?

Bokeh is a Japanese word that doesn't translate easily into our western cultural experience, and is not easy to explain in a simple phrase but the closest equivalent is 'when two or more otherwise vaguely rational individuals cannot come to an agreement about what a Japanese word means'.

:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

dakar wrote: »
    Bokeh is a Japanese word that doesn't translate easily into our western cultural experience, and is not easy to explain in a simple phrase but the closest equivalent is 'when two or more otherwise vaguely rational individuals cannot come to an agreement about what a Japanese word means'.

:P

Clear as crystal now...if a bit (controlled) blurry in the background.

It could do with a Haiku to explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Not time to digest these replies as I'm out but I love background blur/bokeh and really miss this on my f4 24-105L....I far prefer this lens to the 24-70L cept for the bokeh.
    I hate the way Canon take so long to release good quality L lens replacements.

Prime lenses... way to go :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

humberklog wrote: »
    It could do with a Haiku to explain it.

I love a challenge!:) No strictly in the classical style, but the best I can come up with at short notice:

In light rays scatter

Softly blurred or circle bright

Seeds of discord sown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I looked into this. The word boke used in Nippon to describe blur or haze actually derives from the Manchurian concatenation of bo-kai which meant 'confusing outlook'. This was recorded in clay tablets dated to ~5,500BC in a dig but these were being carried by obsidian traders returning to mesopotamia, so according to scholars it's most likely original derivation is therefore from the Babylonian phrase 'pok-ai' or in middle english 'poke eye' which as Baldrick will testify yields the optical condition beautifully illustrated by the OP. OP means Original Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

yeah, love bukkake . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

An argument on Bokeh could go on for aaaages! But the best description I've heard for bokeh is anything with backround blur in the oof places... BUT, there's a difference between good bokeh and bad bokeh. If it just looks out of focus or jaggy, it's usually not good bokeh. It's very subjective all the same so I won't even try pretend it's black & white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

In some parts of the country (northern predominently) if some one mentioned they were looking for a good bokeh you'd stand back to mind your shoes (or hold their hair back if they were a girl)

(something about the onamatopoeia of the word/action)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Nisio wrote: »
    In some parts of the country (northern predominently) if some one mentioned they were looking for a good bokeh you'd stand back to mind your shoes (or hold their hair back if they were a girl)

(something about the onamatopoeia of the word/action)

no, that would be bukkake not bokeh (both are 'Japanese' words)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Barname wrote: »
    yeah, love bukkake . . .
    double_trek_facepalm.jpg

Brief note to the curious. While in work do NOT ...
    1. Google for 'bukkake'
    2. Click on 'images'
    3. Turn safesearch 'off'

Goggles, real acid, they do nothing, blah blah blah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Brief note to the curious. While in work do NOT ...
    Damn, now you tell me. Too late I'm afraid, my supervisor just happened to be standing behind me ! and then Alanis Morrissetteeee (no relation:D) comes on the radio singing........"Isn't it ironic" :eek:

Bring back DOF Friday I say !!!!!!
    Anyone remember that ? eeek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

C'mon guys, just enjoy the pretty heart shaped lights while you can.

I'll get the girl in the photo and see if she wants to do a bukkake series......I just asked her she's up for it!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I can +1 that the girl in the photo is well up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

pete4130 wrote: »
    C'mon guys, just enjoy the pretty heart shaped lights while you can.

I'll get the girl in the photo and see if she wants to do a bukkake series......I just asked her she's up for it!!! :D

Great shot Pete

and everybody else, shut the f**k up about bleedin bokeh. Every thread on the forum becomes a shouting match about pure sh**e

Thanks Keith. I was hoping for other people to jump on the cheesy shaped bokeh buzz for this time of year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Very cool Pete

Bonus points for Christmas tree shaped bokeh.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »

Voila!

Excuse the poor Xmas tree shape!

Xmasbokehsmall.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

pete4130 wrote: »
    Voila!

Excuse the poor Xmas tree shape!

Fix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

bokeh is not just the quality of the OOF areas, its how the IF mets the OOF, how they blend together. the shape of the aperture/amount of blades(circular anyway at widest) doesnt effect the smoothness, it only effects the shape of the bokeh rings which are just 1 part of bokeh

And its more than just harsh or smooth, theres different qualities in smoothness particularly in the mid tones I believe

Fajitas! wrote: »

Doubleplusgood bonus points for christmas tree shaped bokeh ... on a picture of a christmas tree ...
    Oooooo
    Probably have to wait a bit for that one, though, depressingly, not too long.

sineadw wrote: »
    Fix!

Nevar!

Lemon shaped bokeh to the left of the picture. :p

CE89F2D82698447BA723403CA06A0A98-800.jpg

I've never seen Keith cuss b4, shocked tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement