Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Fitness sandford problem page

Options
  • 26-11-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

I have been a member of total fitness sandyford since june,so its now 6 months, was wondering if any one else had the same problems. The main problem area being the pool and sauna area.

p,s the reason could be because they might be about to be sold to ben dunne - saw him up there the other day in a suit with one of the managers and a couple of other business man walking through the whole gym. could be a buy out happening or else he is advising them to cut costs

if ther problems continue i would be interested in sorting out a petition of members - and there problems - and present it to management. we pay enough and want a proper service

1- the staff are rude (i'am actually friends of one staff member before i joined) and clueless.

2- the hydro pool and pool always close earlier then the stated times

3- The hydro pool, over the last few weeks, has been cold. The sauna was also cold and wouldnt work (23.11.09)

4- people are more and more bringing kids with them late at nite training and running around while they take no care to look after them

5- people do not use locks (in the males) when putting there clothes away

evidence

1- upon joining i had to remind the staff member of there advertising prices i.e €795 for 18 mts. I know they get a commision of €5 for every person who joins regardless of fee's they pay. so this was very careless and unprofessional. Also the girl (curly black hair mid 20's) in pool area is very rude and always closes the hydro pool as soon as she can sometimes half an hour before closing.

2-the girl (curly black hair mid 20's) in pool area is very rude and always closes the hydro pool as soon as she can sometimes half an hour before closing. once one of the male attendants (small blondie gut) tried
    closing it while i was actually in the pool and it had 25 left to open.

3- i have noticed that the hydro pool has got increasingly cold and on monday 23 november it was actually freezing. the week before was the same

4- a eastern european women (i know from the language she was speaking) always turns up at around 730 pm and goes on the thread mill upstairs while her child - a your girl no more than 7 - is running around the thread mill area looking at other people and gernerally making a nuisance while her mother pays no attention. a french man and his daughter do the same in the pool. he generally lets his child get talking to another female then leaves leaving the child bothering another female in the adult pool while he goes off to the sauna. p.s in no way is this an anti-foreigner remark but its two that i have noticed constantly

5- everytime i go to get changed at least 5 or 6 lockers are in use without locks. its just annoying

if these problems are universal or if you have any other grievance i would be interested.

i previously worked in property management and would advocate forming a group - similar to a residents commitee in apartment complexs. just so all member can get value for money.

we deserve better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Maybe you could start a facebook group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭sunnydelight

Just spotted this thread, now i have no problems with staff being rude in fact i find them friendly and helpful. but i have my concerns about the financial situation, as they are offering such cheap deals, in my mind that mean they are in trouble, if Ben Dunne does buy T/F the world and its mother will join as he offers such good value, which means the palce will be jam packed 24/7.

ya was in the steam room last week, except there was NO steam :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Trishis

Hi Folks,

This is slightly off topic ( so feel free to move me!) but you know the beauticians in total fitness called total wellbeing, well apparently they have gone into liquidation...but they owe me money....anyone know how i get it?!! help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Contact the appointed liquidator. Not listed on www.insolvencyjournal.ie so they may not have been liquidated/wound up. Although wellbeing may be a trading name and not a company name (although the site usually lists both).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SUE27

red barron wrote: »
    Hi all,

HMM SOMEONE NEEDS TO CHILL OUT!!
    Dear red barron i disagreed with your statement! As with many satemetns on Boards.ie people tend to always talk about a negative experience they have encountered, and think for once im going talk about a good customer service experience!!!

I have been a member of Total Fitness Sandyford the last two years and I have actually noticed massive changes over the last year. I feel I have got value for money The staff are really friendly classes are great generally a good atmostphere. You never wait on a piece of gym equipment.

The gym facilities are quite unique in Dublin its so huge with running track four studios, have been a member of a few gyms in Dubllin never seen anything quite like this!

As for Ben Dunne hes a member seen him up training a few times

• Advertisement

Says a lot really.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carolwarol

I joined up with Total Fitness last week and had my consultation with an instructor 2 days ago. I've been a member of a gym before (but is been well over a year) , so I was expecting the trainer to go through a series of health/injury checks, weight me, etc....

Basically none of this happened, she had a card done out before she had actually met me and she brought me straight over to the weights and proceeded to go through the machines. I recently had an elbow injury so when she was demonstrating one of the machines that i thought would aggravate it, I brought it up.... She replied 'i never heard of tennis elbow', but this won't be a problem.

Anyway after about 20 mins, she had shown me most machines, and I was really surprised that she had me using really heavy weights and i was really struggling with them, I thought they were too heavy for me and she simply said 'you need to shock your muscles', but only do this every second day. I enquired about the treadmills etc as really I was most interested in this part of the gym and she was really offhand but did bring me over to a treadmill suggesting 6 mins interval training at the start of the programme (although she didn't do this with me at the start)

She also suggested trying her own class which has an additional cost and mentioned she would do personal training as well for an extra fee.

I left the gym feeling really disillusioned with a programme that doesn't suit me and also one that i'm not sure is risk free considering she didn't ask me any questions. Is this normal practice??/

Anyway, I'm raging that I've paid up for the year and am considering looking for a refund. Does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Also says a lot that this hasn't seen any action in 8 months....

Carol this is not a Total Fitness problem.
    Unfortunately its a large commercial gym problem.

If you can source your own information on programming, or talk to someone who actually has a clue what they are on about, the equipment available is probably adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm a member there and there are plus and minus points about it.

It annoyed me a bit that there was no stat recording (height, weight, resting heart rate, lung capacity, BMI) while doing programmes up. That said the guys are very good if you mention any kind of injury/strain. I've had a programme set to avoid my injuries and it things have come up from doing an exercise they'll happily work to find an exercise that works the same/similar areas without causing an issue, rather than just dropping the weights for that area

The pool area is generally grand but the plunge pool is frequently closed and sauna sometimes does not work (though not that often)

most of the issues are member caused, not putting back weights, not wiping down machines and just general inconsideration.

Overall I like the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Lots of negative comments so far - I have this to say in its favour:

It's got some excellent equipment (e.g. Hammer Strength) and there is lots of floor space - if you know what you're doing and don't need any assistance from the staff, then it can be a great gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 AlanFurl

its an ok gym, gets very busy at peak times which becomes an issue the weights area upstairs (way too small), not enough benches, needs more area for deadlifting and more squat racks. Way too many treadmills, alot of which seem to be out of order. Not enough excercise bikes and those that are there are not in the best condition - clicking pedals, mismatched pedals and even missing pedals sometimes.

No complaints about the pool or hydro-pool. All good.

Have never talked to a member of staff, I just do my thing. Membership is up in october, not too many options in the Sandyford area - Jackie Skelly in Rathfarnham but I've heard a lot of bad stuff about that place...

I wonder do Crossfit do annual memberships? Can you come and go as you please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

AlanFurl wrote: »
    Not too many options in the Sandyford are

If you haven't already, check out Body Health & Fitness (http://www.bhaf.ie/).

It's located in Sandyford, opposite the Beacon Hotel. The 2 guys who run the place, Robert and Ivan, are lovely guys. I've taken a few Muay Thai lessons from Ivan - great teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

It could be a great gym....if those that ran it really got some decent staff and ran the place properly. I left 6 months ago as I had forgotten my members card and they wouldn't let me in. I had been a member 6 years going regularly 2-3 times per week, so they knew my face well.

I cancelled my membership there and then, asked the manager to call me to discuss...no call. I wrote 3 separate emails directly to her with no response and phoned 3 times asking to speak to her, absolutely disgraceful customer service. I know of 3 others who left due to a similar problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

cmyk wrote: »
    It could be a great gym....if those that ran it really got some decent staff and ran the place properly. I left 6 months ago as I had forgotten my members card and they wouldn't let me in. I had been a member 6 years going regularly 2-3 times per week, so they knew my face well.

I cancelled my membership there and then, asked the manager to call me to discuss...no call. I wrote 3 separate emails directly to her with no response and phoned 3 times asking to speak to her, absolutely disgraceful customer service. I know of 3 others who left due to a similar problem.

That board they put up is a real two fingers to members. I havrnt forgot my card ever but if i did and they refused me when all the need to do is type it into the computer i'd leave too. They are useless- staff are not a nice bunch unless your real buddy buddy with them. I forgot my lock a few times and when i said i dont want to buy a new one as it might be at home they wouldnt give me a lend of one- (the have a box full of used ones beside the counter) Although last week the girl did give me a lend of one for the first time. I think the staff are brutal though- i dont want them to go around kissing my feet- but if you went into a shop to buy something and got the same treatment you'd walk out the door.

The Saunarium is cold one day and skin burning the next.

The walkway to the pool from the Gents smells of piss.

they dont know how to clean the floor. cold water and a dirty mop.

weights area is a total mess- but thats the members fault.

The policy on forgetting your card is a total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

oh, they also threaten you with penalty points for driving around the roundabout the wrong way :pac:

oh, they also threaten you with penalty points for driving around the roundabout the wrong way :pac:

I've continued (on purpose) to go the wrong way round it. Their "iron fist" mentality is most unbecoming.

It is by far one of the unfriendliest places I frequent, and my workplace is pretty bad! Staff in the gym are just stone cold. No wonder I don't want to renew.....(but its just so damn handy for me!!! D'oh!!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

I know what your saying the staff are just unreal in their attitude.

I sometimes think they musnt be getting paid to have attitudes the way they do. WTF is that roundabout so big for? no wonder people drive around the the wrong way. Although i have seen the Gardai once hidning trying to catch people.

There is a smal guy who deals with memberships mostly- you swear he was a slave the way he goes on- no manners.

I was in a gym before and the staff would say hello and smile when you came in the door. I dont think i ever got a smile.

And as for the pool area- they are gonna start executing people soon out there. they throw the doors open on the steam rooms at 9:30 when there is clearly a sign saying 15 mins before closing time. if a new gym opened up near by i'd be gone- but its just too handy for me- untill then i'm going to be as rude with them as they are with me.:)

as i said earlier, my membership is up in October, I got it for 445 last year, so if I don't get it for at least that, I think i'll be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

mine is up in October as well, i got the same deal €445 last year but even if they can give me the same this year which i doubt, i'll prob still go down to crossfit, maybe i'll keep the total fitness membership too, depends on the financial situation at the end of october!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

As per my previous thread I am a member of Total Sh*tness in Clarehall. I thought the other 2 centres were supposed to be better then Clarehall (which can't be hard considering the dire equipment and management - amazed mr.rude Des Daly still is manager) My membership is up next week and I can't wait to be rid of the place. I honestly think the place will close down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ceelo

how exactly do the gym issue penalty points......? ive gone past loads of times and seen the guards parked hidden away, very sly. agree there is a good few problems that need sorted but things like weights been a mess is just as much a problem caused by members who dont know what they're doing in a gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Maybe it's just the times that I've been there, but it seems much quieter recently. Are they having problems recruiting new members/renewing existing memberships?

To answer your question re losing membership I will give you a example of how inept the management is in Total Sh*tness. I got a call from the manager Des Daly (God only knows how he got the job) in Clarehall on why I was not renewing and my general complaint. He rung me during my work day and asked was it in a good time to call. He sounded very disinterested as if it was a cosmetic exercise to tick a few boxes. Anyway I said it was not a good time and to call back at 2:15 which is my lunch. He agreed to this.

At 2:15 I got no call. Instead I got another "sheepish voice" call at 5:07 if I could talk. I told Daly that he had agreed to call me at 2:30 and it was no point calling me much later on the day. He asked me what was a good time to call and I said 6pm on Friday. He agreed again. Well 6pm Friday came and passed. So later on I took over the initiative and told Daly in no uncertain fashion where he can stick his telephone conversation. Totally unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

SUE27 wrote: »
    red barron wrote: »

training for what ?
    is he an athlete ?

go to your own gym Ben .

Kinda funny and insulting at the same time, I received a renewal letter in the mail during the week, asking for 595, and that this is a discounted membership rate. LOL

So, so I took a trip to the auld website and hoopla, ya can renew for 550 (sandyford - my club), Malahide 525 and Castleknock for 475.

Anyway, I believe the Carlisle gym is 290 quid, so case closed really.

595???? GTFO of my face, stupid pr*cks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OttoMann

Glad I found a forum on this place as ive just joined boards to rant about how sh*t this Gym is. No card no entry! What? I have to say in total agreement with everone who has said how bad the service is in this place. Also heard from a good friend a while back that they had debited her account two times after losing her job. She had rang in and requested a cancellation and was over the 12 month period of contract. Guess what? They debit her account a month later.. Ring Ring.. "oh you need to give us a months notice if you wish to cancel membership it says so in your contract" fair enough so she uses the gym for this month while cancelling. Next month account debited..Ring ring "oh yea just had a look at the details that'll be sorted" What? You just took 62 euro and I want it back! "Oh that'll have to go through head office" FFS Email to head office long winded load of bullsh*t back from some pr*ck in England. Claiming that on the dates of joining had caused her to run into another month.. Down 124euro and no intention of a refund.. Hapless spineless manager.. Changing rooms stink, staff miserable an uninterested probably due to having a miserable w*nker as a CEO... Was recommended this place dread setting foot in it now soulless..AAAAGH..hope somebody agrees with me

I've just been back in the country a few weeks and was training for 3 1/2 years in total fitness until around october 2009, had no problems ever with the place, found it in good order mostly and staff were always friendly to deal with.

however since i came back and rejoined i'm fairly disgusted with the place, the new staff there now just seem completely in their own world chatting away all the time, and the last thing on their agenda is helping members with things, the weights area is a complete mess, whatever about this being a members issue this is unacceptable, they must have previously had someone to rerack weights because i neevr seen the place as bad as it was the last 2 weeks i've gone up there, (one dumbbell on the rack for a weight, the other nowhere to be seen) then a huge pile of dumbbells over by the squatracks its a disaster!!

the salesman was a complete pr*ck when i was joining too, basically telling me i had to pay the price he said or could shove it!!

Hopefully more and more members will leave Total Sh*tness. They don't care anymore so the only thing that may teach them to get some respect back to the gym and its members is if enough people leave. Then again with inept management that may be a dream too far I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

the weights area is a complete mess, whatever about this being a members issue this is unacceptable, they must have previously had someone to rerack weights because i neevr seen the place as bad as it was the last 2 weeks i've gone up there, (one dumbbell on the rack for a weight, the other nowhere to be seen) then a huge pile of dumbbells over by the squatracks its a disaster!!

the salesman was a complete pr*ck when i was joining too, basically telling me i had to pay the price he said or could shove it!!

While I totally agree with the weights room being in a state all the time I feel ignorant members should be to blame for that. Sometimes when I go to the squat rack theres a bench in there and what feel like 60 kilo dumbells all over the floor. Have you seen the lads who are told to pick up the weights? Most of them wouldnt weight that! Yes the staff dont clean up properly but I wish the members would as well.

I know the salesman you are talking about, complete tosser, always in the mirror sorting his hair for a good half hour at a time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

OttoMann wrote: »
    Was recommended this place dread setting foot in it now soulless..
    Soulless pretty much sums the place up. I love training but Total Sh*tness takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it. I just keep my head down, train and try to get out of the place as quickly as I can.
    mrpink6789 wrote: »
    While I totally agree with the weights room being in a state all the time I feel ignorant members should be to blame for that. Sometimes when I go to the squat rack theres a bench in there and what feel like 60 kilo dumbells all over the floor.
    This is something that has just been let get out of control, as far as I can see. If they had kept on top of this and constantly reminded members to replace weights, then it might not be the ignorant spectacle it always is. It's almost gone beyond fixing at this stage...anyway, it's suits some to be able to drop and throw their weights around just to demonstrate how hardcore they are.:rolleyes: You can see the lack of respect for other members when you drive into the carpark and look at the abuse of the disabled spaces....by Total Sh*tness's standards, this is ok behaviour but God forbid you might forget your membership card, then it's time to penalise people.
    janullrich wrote: »
    Hopefully more and more members will leave Total Sh*tness. They don't care anymore so the only thing that may teach them to get some respect back to the gym and its members is if enough people leave. Then again with inept management that may be a dream too far I guess.
    Totally agree. I only joined earlier this year and absolutely nothing will persuade me to renew my membership, not even a dramatic price reduction....nothing.
    In fairness, there are a couple of sound staff members who seem to try their best, but ultimately the complete lack of interest or respect shown by the management, and a lot of fellow members, makes the place unbearable. It's beyond me how anyone would rejoin. This is my last complaint of this place, I will just take my money elsewhere.

Advertisement