Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bump old thread, post new thread or neither?

Options
  • 26-11-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

So I'm not exactly a newbie but there are still elements of boards etiquette that i'm not sure of. If there's a topic you want to discuss and after doing a search for said topic you find that the last thread on it is a couple of years old what is the correct procedure? Create new thread, bump old thread? Or is neither acceptable?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It varies between forums and it would also depend on topic of discussion. I don't mind threads getting bumped in any forums I mod once the topic is relevant and the bump contributes to the original discussion. Different mods have different opinions too so if you're in any doubt you'd be best advised dopping them a quick PM to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm exactly the same as Mr Magnolia but other mods really don't like bumped threads. It does depend on the circumstances and relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It does depend on the topic and the forum. If you want to ask a question, sometimes it is better to start a new thread, as you can somewhat control the topic to suit your need. Whereas bumping an old one, you may get people replying to information that is no longer relevant.

What can be irritating for the forum though is if a thread on the same topic is posted within a week of each other. Sometimes on the same day, so it may be a good idea to read the first couple of pages before starting a new topic.

Advertisement