Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YOUR England Squad for the WC

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

SlickRic wrote: »
    not really.

if you did support and english League team, support its players as well, i'd find it ludicrous to want those same players to fail on the world stage. players representing in all essence, a league you'd be supporting on a weekly basis.

also they're our closest team, and supported us quite vehemently in the last world cup we were in.

ergo you support all your club's players after they leave your club or is it just the club you support? Do you support all the National teams of all the players that play and have played for your club as well... or do you just support the club?

Players, club and country - all different, you might argue their linked but not in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

not really.

if you did support and english League team, support its players as well, i'd find it ludicrous to want those same players to fail on the world stage. players representing in all essence, a league you'd be supporting on a weekly basis.

also they're our closest team, and supported us quite vehemently in the last world cup we were in.

So SlicRic, if I remember correctly you are a Liverpool supporter?? So you will be supporting England, Spain, Holland, Brazil, Argentina ...... am I forgetting anyone! Oh lucky you you will have such fun watching the world cup :rolleyes:

I also will be cheering for the opposition in every game England play at the world cup and make no apologies for it, watch a few of the build up programmes on BBC or read a few of their papers in the build up and you might see why ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So then why do you hope they lose every game?

Why would I want them to do well?

To keep it just to do with soccer...

Their fans are possibly the worst behaved in international football. (A generalisation I know and unfair to the many decent folks that support them).

The last time they played Ireland their fans rioted thus causing the game to be called off - why would any Irish fan support them as a result???

They accord no respect to visiting team's anthems.

They sing xenophobic songs at the Germans the whole time.

They have a hardcore of fans who absolutely despise blacks/Jews/Irish etc...

Their soccer media are abhorrent.

I could go on...

I just don't understand why Irish people feel the need to fawn over something which hates us, it is a typical Irish trait though.

I'll bow out of this thread now and leave you guys be in your fawning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Their fans are possibly the worst behaved in international football. (A generalisation I know and unfair to the many decent folks that support them).

The last time they were here they rioted thus causing the game to be called off.

I could go on...

I just don't understand why Irish people feel the need to fawn over something which hates us, it is a typical Irish trait though.

Ah yes, because the jolly good green army would never, ever involve themselves in anything remotely like the above. They certainly wouldn't jeer a player, the wrong player in fact, because he once turned out for a Scottish team that plays in blue for example.

It's a mighty fine horse you're up on there. Best you do bow out before there's a nasty fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Don't care what their team is just hope they're beaten in every game.

:D:D:D:D:D

Unless of course they are playing the French:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Well this is the English team I'd like to see

Carson

Gary Neville
    Bramble
    Calum Davenport
    Greg Halford

Beckham
    Joey Barton
    Lee Bowyer
    Luke Chadwick

Michael Owen
    John Stead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So SlicRic, if I remember correctly you are a Liverpool supporter?? So you will be supporting England, Spain, Holland, Brazil, Argentina ...... am I forgetting anyone! Oh lucky you you will have such fun watching the world cup :rolleyes:

no i'm supporting england and spain. i don't support every player's individual country.

i'll keep an eye on the countries like Argentina and Holland to see how the likes of Masch and Dirk do, but i won't actively support them.

i'll support england because our close affinities, and Steven Gerrard.

i'll support Spain because of the football they play, and Fernando Torres.
    I also will be cheering for the opposition in every game England play at the world cup and make no apologies for it, watch a few of the build up programmes on BBC or read a few of their papers in the build up and you might see why ;)

yes, because our media would never be insanely biased towards Ireland if we were in the World Cup. :rolleyes:

take a look at the hatred spewed at Henry last week. looking at those were as bad, if not worse, than anything english media could come up with.

when you watch the BBC, you're watching a station that broadcasts to, um, England. they're entitled to talk up their own chances. we would too in their position.

take a look at the hatred spewed at Henry last week. looking at those were as bad, if not worse, than anything english media could come up with.

In fairness, if Henry had handled the ball to deny England a place in the world cup, there would have been deaths in Paris that night.

Rondolfus wrote: »
    In fairness, if Henry had handled the ball to deny England a place in the world cup, there would have been deaths in Paris that night.

true, but that's not my point.

we're all biased.

people can't have a go at the english media for wanting the english football team to do well. it's simply, imo, not a good reason to dislike them.

• Advertisement

true, but that's not my point.

we're all biased.

people can't have a go at the english media for wanting the english football team to do well. it's simply, imo, not a good reason to dislike them.

Yea I know but its a relevant point as to why many, not only in Ireland, but throughout Europe want to see them fail. Their fans have a history of trouble making.

Things have obviously improved in recent years ( Thanks to severe security measures) however the threat of English fans tearing the place up if things don't go their way is ever present. The numerous films glorifying football hoolganism has done nothing to improve the situation.

Unofrtunately for the hooligans, South Africa is not really the place you wanna "kick off" in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

JPA wrote: »
    What a team and bench! No Gerrard, no Rooney and a welshman!

with 4 players out of position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yea I know but its a relevant point as to why many, not only in Ireland, but throughout Europe want to see them fail. Their fans have a history of trouble making.

Things have obviously improved in recent years ( Thanks to severe security measures) however the threat of English fans tearing the place up if things don't go their way is ever present. The numerous films glorifying football hoolganism has done nothing to improve the situation.

Unofrtunately for the hooligans, South Africa is not really the place you wanna "kick off" in.

If the press hype is used as a justification for wanting the English to fail, why do people swallow our own medias hype.

i'll support england because our close affinities, and Steven Gerrard.

i'll support Spain because of the football they play, and Fernando Torres

So basically you will just support the countries of the anyway competent players at the club, pity Aquilani hasnt made more of an impact then you would have three big European teams to support :rolleyes:

By the way what would your advise be to any Arsenal fans from Ireland be?? Wenger, Sagna, Clichy, Nasri, Gallas - all scum from June to July but welcome back with open arms in August??

If you cant seperate club football from International then its you that has the problem not someone like myself or Bobby who will openly cheer England inevitable demise

that's a different story.

not wanting their hooligan fans to taste success is fair enough.

personally i still want the team do well, but still, i take your point.

that's a different story.

not wanting their hooligan fans to taste success is fair enough.

personally i still want the team do well, but still, i take your point.

Surely you cant seperate the two though, its far easier to seperate club football from international football than to seperate international football fans from international football?

• Advertisement

So basically you will just support the countries of the anyway competent players at the club, pity Aquilani hasnt made more of an impact then you would have three big European teams to support :rolleyes:

By the way what would your advise be to any Arsenal fans from Ireland be?? Wenger, Sagna, Clichy, Nasri, Gallas - all scum from June to July but welcome back with open arms in August??

If you cant seperate club football from International then its you that has the problem not someone like myself or Bobby who will openly cheer England inevitable demise

wtf are you on about?

Gerrard and Torres are my two favourite players at the English club i support. plus i like the Spanish style of football. if that's not a good reason to support those two national teams at the WC, then f*ck me.

i don't have advice for Irish Arsenal fans on that. but if someone wants to support France because his favourite player is one of those players, or Henry for that matter, or they like the French style of football, well then, that's their prerogative.

you can seperate club and international football if you want. that's fine. that's your prerogative.

i personally just don't get hating the English since we support their league passionately, they're our neighbours, there's no animosity anymore and they support us. the bias of their media is a sh*t reason too. as i've said any country's media is biased towards their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

anyone wanna get back to discussing the england squad you'd pick and not the pettyness of some people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

wtf are you on about?

Gerrard and Torres are my two favourite players at the English club i support. plus i like the Spanish style of football. if that's not a good reason to support those two national teams at the WC, then f*ck me.

If Ireland had qualified, who would you 'support'?

Kenteach wrote: »
    If Ireland had qualified, who would you 'support'?

who do you think?

do you not have 2nd teams and 3rd teams?

wtf are you on about?

i don't have advice for Irish Arsenal fans on that. but if someone wants to support France because his favourite player is one of those players, or Henry for that matter, or they like the French style of football, well then, that's their prerogative.
    you can seperate club and international football if you want. that's fine. that's your prerogative.

i personally just don't get hating the English since we support their league passionately, they're our neighbours, there's no animosity anymore and they support us. the bias of their media is a sh*t reason too. as i've said any country's media is biased towards their own.

Now see we are finally making progress yes it is our prerogative to celebrate Englands failures and will continue to do so, you dont get why anyone would do this then good for you thats your prerogative I guess :p

• Advertisement

who do you think?

No, Im not 12 anymore you see, I like football I dont need to have a favouritest team in every match :rolleyes:

Now see we are finally making progress yes it is our prerogative to celebrate Englands failures and will continue to do so, you dont get why anyone would do this then good for you thats your prerogative I guess :p

of course it is.

i never claimed it wasn't.

i was just trying to understand the reasons behind hating the English and discussing them. i still don't agree with the reasons, and think they're slightly petty if i'm honest, apart from the hooligan fans reason, but that's fine i guess.

it's a tangent that's probably going off topic at this stage though.

of course it is.

i never claimed it wasn't.

i was just trying to understand the reasons behind hating the English and discussing them. i still don't agree with the reasons, and think they're slightly petty if i'm honest, apart from the hooligan fans reason, but that's fine i guess.

it's a tangent that's probably going off topic at this stage though.

Fair enough we will leave it at that and agree to disagree and accept each others reasons :D

No, Im not 12 anymore you see, I like football I dont need to have a favouritest team in every match :rolleyes:

ha.

good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Never thought I'd see the day when a thread appears on the football forum that I couldn't give a flying fcuk about!

iregk wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see the day when a thread appears on the football forum that I couldn't give a flying fcuk about!

But still felt the need to post on it?? Says more about yourself really dont you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

event wrote: »
    darren bent is not an international striker, never will be
    he can score all he wants at league level, but his first touch is truly shocking. he is an ok finisher and he is quick, which will get you goals in the PL, but he would be shown up at international level. see players like michael ricketts, kevin philips, marcus stewart etc.
    all scored for fun in the PL but not good enough at internation level, bent is the same unfortunately

Defoe is a better finisher and has proven in his displays for england that he can play at that level.

Owen is in mine as i can afford to take 5 strikers, as id only take two keepers.

good post. not sure i would go with two keepers though. especially if James is as crocked as he appears to be.
    Don't care what their team is just hope they're beaten in every game.

:D:D:D:D:D

The last time they played Ireland their fans rioted thus causing the game to be called off - why would any Irish fan support them as a result???

I could go on...

I think there is only one xenophobe around these parts.

what about these scumbag supporters

I think this bunch like a good punch up as well, they certainly know how to piss off the away fans

135231-celtic-greeted-with-no-surrender-banner-in-hamburg-410x230.jpg

good post. not sure i would go with two keepers though. especially if James is as crocked as he appears to be.

yeah he does seem a bit troubled lately

but i think the benefits a 5th striker can give outweighs the risk of only taking 2 keepers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Goalkeepers:

David James
    Robert Green
    Ben Foster

Defenders:

Glen Johnson
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Ashley Cole
    Matthew Upson
    Leighton Baines
    Phil Jagielka
    Wayne Bridge

Midfielders:

Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Owen Hargreaves
    Gareth Barry
    David Beckham
    Aaron Lennon
    Shaun Wright-Philips

Forwards:

Wayne Rooney
    Jermain Defoe
    Darren Bent
    Peter Crouch
    Michael Owen

Looks good to me, though I've probably forgotten someone. I left Lescott out to bring Owen in, purely because I really don't rate Lescott. And I realise there's only 3 out-and-out wingers in that squad, but I feel Hargreaves and Rooney could provide more than adequate cover on the right and left respectively.

Though Heskey will be in the actual squad unfortunately.

EDIT: Added in Bridge when I realised I only had 22

well heskey will be in the squad because he is vital to the way england plays
    capello doesnt care that he doesnt score, thats why he has rooney, lampard ang gerrard alll buzzing around him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

English team that I would love them to put out is:

James
    Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Cole
    Barry

Gerrard
    Lampard
    --Lennon
    Rooney--
    Bent/Defoe

Barry is lacking a bit as a holding midfielder but I think he would do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

English team that I would love them to put out is:

James
    Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Cole
    Barry

Gerrard
    Lampard
    --Lennon
    Rooney--
    Bent/Defoe

Barry is lacking a bit as a holding midfielder but I think he would do the job.

You put 3 in the middle purely to get Gerrard in didn't you?

i doubt it.

since he's at least as good as Lampard in the centre, and probably better than Lennon on the right.

plus plenty of teams (i.e. utd on plenty of occasions), play 3 in the middle.

rooney on the left is the funny one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Haha no. The formation makes sense in my opinion. If England had some one like Masch or Essien, it would be perfect.
    i doubt it.

since he's at least as good as Lampard in the centre, and probably better than Lennon on the right.

plus plenty of teams (i.e. utd on plenty of occasions), play 3 in the middle.

rooney on the left is the funny one imo.

I think that this is stronger than having Rooney playing the role that Gerrard play at Liverpool. I also think that playing Rooney on the left and Gerrard in the centre is stronger than playing Gerrard on the left or right and Rooney in the centre.

To be honest, both players are so good that that can play any position across the front line and render the likes of Lennon, Walcott, Young and Milner redundant in whatever position you put them.

A diamond system similar to what Chelsea play might be useful too:

James
    Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Cole
    Barry

Gerrard
    Lampard

Rooney

Bent/Defoe
    Crouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Sure he did :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

who do you think?

No I don't! I support my team, then I watch the rest with interest!

Anyway, might as well contribute to the thread topic.

3 Keepers are a given. One injured or suspended, you need one to cover the bench. And in a squad of 22, you always have 2 or 3 at least who will never play, so sacrificing a keeper to include another passenger could bite you in the ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JPA wrote: »
    It's hardly inconceivable that a keeper could get sent off, then suspended, the 2nd choice gets injured in the next game and then you're fooked.

Especially when one of you keepers is old and has injured himself in the warm up a couple of times in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Stekelly wrote: »
    Especially when one of you keepers is old and has injured himself in the warm up a couple of times in the last year.

Their real weakness seems to be with their goalkeepers now.

James is getting on and always something of a liability. Foster seems a bit rubbish despite how Ferguson talks him up all the time and Green is simply okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

But still felt the need to post on it?? Says more about yourself really dont you think?

no not especially but thanks for worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

GK. David James (1st Choice)
    GK. Paul Robinson (Sub)
    GK. Joe Hart (For experience for future WC)

DF. Rio Ferdinand (1st Choice)
    DF. John Terry (1st Choice + captain)
    DF. Ashley Cole (1st Choice)
    DF. Glen Johnson (1st Choice)
    DF. Matthew Upson (1st Choice)
    DF. Wayne Bridge (Sub)
    DF. Wes Brown (Sub)
    DF. Joleon Lescott (Sub)

MD. Frank Lampard (1st Choice)
    MD. Steven Gerrard (1st Choice)
    MD. Aaron Lennon (Sub)
    MD. Theo Walcott (Sub)
    MD. Gareth Barry (1st Choice)
    MD. Joe Cole (Sub)
    MD. Jermaine Jenas (Sub)
    MD. Michael Carrick (Sub)

FD. Wayne Rooney (1st Choice)
    FD. Jermaine Defoe (Sub)
    FD. Peter Crouch (1st Choice)
    FD. Darren Bent (Sub)

And my first team lines out as follows,

england_team.png

I'm not saying i'd win the WC, but i'd give it a good go, and if the F.A. are reading this i'm available :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

GK. David James (1st Choice)
    GK. Paul Robinson (Sub)
    GK. Joe Hart (For experience for future WC)

DF. Rio Ferdinand (1st Choice)
    DF. John Terry (1st Choice + captain)
    DF. Ashley Cole (1st Choice)
    DF. Glen Johnson (1st Choice)
    DF. Matthew Upson (1st Choice)
    DF. Wayne Bridge (Sub)
    DF. Wes Brown (Sub)
    DF. Joleon Lescott (Sub)

MD. Frank Lampard (1st Choice)
    MD. Steven Gerrard (1st Choice)
    MD. Aaron Lennon (Sub)
    MD. Theo Walcott (Sub)
    MD. Gareth Barry (1st Choice)
    MD. Joe Cole (Sub)
    MD. Jermaine Jenas (Sub)
    MD. Michael Carrick (Sub)

FD. Wayne Rooney (1st Choice)
    FD. Jermaine Defoe (Sub)
    FD. Peter Crouch (1st Choice)
    FD. Darren Bent (Sub)

And my first team lines out as follows,

england_team.png

I'm not saying i'd win the WC, but i'd give it a good go, and if the F.A. are reading this i'm available :D

Take off Upson and bring on Defoe if England are losing and play 4-3-3.

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

GK. David James
    GK. Paul Robinson
    GK. Robert Green

DF. Rio Ferdinand
    DF. John Terry
    DF. Ashley Cole
    DF. Glen Johnson
    DF. Matthew Upson
    DF. Wayne Bridge
    DF. Wes Brown
    DF. Joleon Lescott

MD. Frank Lampard
    MD. Steven Gerrard
    MD. Aaron Lennon
    MD. Ashley Young
    MD. Gareth Barry
    MD. Joe Cole
    MD. Owen Hargreaves
    MD. Michael Carrick

FD. Wayne Rooney
    FD. Jermaine Defoe
    FD. Peter Crouch
    FD. Darren Bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

aww good for you..and when exactly did you turn 13 big guy?? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Goalkeepers:

David James
    Robert Green
    Ben Foster

Defenders:

Glen Johnson
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Ashley Cole
    Matthew Upson
    Leighton Baines
    Phil Jagielka
    Wayne Bridge

Midfielders:

Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Owen Hargreaves
    Gareth Barry
    David Beckham
    Aaron Lennon
    Shaun Wright-Philips

Forwards:

Wayne Rooney
    Jermain Defoe
    Darren Bent
    Peter Crouch
    Michael Owen

Looks good to me, though I've probably forgotten someone. I left Lescott out to bring Owen in, purely because I really don't rate Lescott. And I realise there's only 3 out-and-out wingers in that squad, but I feel Hargreaves and Rooney could provide more than adequate cover on the right and left respectively.

Though Heskey will be in the actual squad unfortunately.

EDIT: Added in Bridge when I realised I only had 22

too many left backs. this will 100% not be the squad taken

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Well this is the English team I'd like to see

Carson

Gary Neville
    Bramble
    Calum Davenport
    Greg Halford

Beckham
    Joey Barton
    Lee Bowyer
    Luke Chadwick

Michael Owen
    John Stead

Get Jimmy Bullard in there and I'd follow them to the ends of the earth (South Africa)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would go with this (with the first team players in bold):

GK. Rob Green
    GK. David James
    GK. Joe Hart

DF. Rio Ferdinand
    DF. John Terry
    DF. Ashley Cole
    DF. Glen Johnson

DF. Matthew Upson
    DF. Wes Brown