Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acknowledgement of Firearm Licence Application

Options
  • 26-11-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Is it the norm under the new system that an applicant receives aknowledgement from Guards for a firearm application FCA1 once submitted, or do you just hold out for 3 months and wait for licence as before?

I know they are very busy at the moment but I was wondering! Whats the average waiting period in the Gorey area at present, has anyone recently experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You're meant to get an acknowlegement that you applied.
    "You're meant to", however, does not necessarily mean "You definitely will"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I got an acknowledgement for my C/F pistol license application this morning.

7 weeks after I handed it in.

B'Man

Did it have the date it was handed in on it, or did it have today's date on it?

Yesterdays date.

That's a bit sneaky. Maybe folks should be asking for a receipt at the desk if they're not going to be calling back to check on progress.

• Advertisement

Sparks,

Believe me, as an owner of a CF Handgun, I am in no rush to hear anything.
    There has been nothing but bad news for most people.

I compete a lot - in any discipline or range that there is a match that my firearm is allowed I will try to be there - I know most, if not all, the competitive CF handgun shooters in the country - I am also a member of one of the largest clubs in the country where there are plenty of people who have as yet, not competed outside of the club.
    At a conservative guess I would say I would know something like half the people in the country who shoot CF pistol with any regularity.

I have personally seen four (4) licenses to date and that was two (2) people.

I spoke to a lot of people who have been given promises but they do not have a licenses in their hand.

I have seen too many refusals to keep count.

I hope - and it is simply a hope - that my ChSuper has been waiting to see what happens with those refused elsewhere before he starts processing.

He will have seen that people who do use their firearms will not simply let them go and will challenge the decision through the courts.

If refused, I will, of course, explore all avenues open to me to attain a license for my firearm.

I would prefer not to have to do the court thing, with Christmas around the Corner and a budget that will sting, but if I must, I will.

Of course - I own a Glock Pistol - in the eyes of the Gardai that like being a bloke on his own in a playground with a bag of sweets - warrants further investigation.

I have attended the range, minimum, twice a week for the last three years.
    I have been in a competition at least once a month for the last three years and have represented Ireland on eight(8) occasions - three (3) times this year alone. I've won my fair share.

I have not been able to practice for almost two months now so will be like a newborn babe on the range if I ever do get a license - or maybe not - I could be like Steve Austen, with my own soundtrack and kicking ass wherever I go.

We wait with baited breath.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

nip102 wrote: »
    Is it the norm under the new system that an applicant receives aknowledgement from Guards for a firearm application FCA1 once submitted, or do you just hold out for 3 months and wait for licence as before?

I know they are very busy at the moment but I was wondering! Whats the average waiting period in the Gorey area at present, has anyone recently experienced this?
    got my acknowledgement letter today not bad going i first applied back at the end off july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Bananaman wrote: »
    We wait with baited breath.

B'Man
    Does that mean smelly? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

i am over 3 months waiting :mad:...but was told all was ok and had being sent up for super to sign
    never got a acknowledgement/receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

i got my acknowledgment letters in the same post as my grant notices today ,dated the 25 nov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I have'nt recieved an acknowledgment yet for a new application with was sent off almost 2 months ago. I've enquired at the local station to no avail. I tried getting in contact with the CPO but am getting the run around. At this point in time i startin to get really pissed off and i won't be very happy if i get a letter at some point informing me that i'll get a decision in three months from that date.

All off my extenstions are up next May and i'm starting to think that they won't give me a decision till then just to make their work load abit lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hezz700 wrote: »
    All off my extenstions are up next May and i'm starting to think that they won't give me a decision till then just to make their work load abit lighter.
    In that case, aren't you supposed to make your re-applications in the three month period beginning on March 1st?
    The whole intention of staggering the extensions was exactly to spread out the workload.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Its not a re-application Rovi. I think Hezz is on about the new application he put in :
    I have'nt recieved an acknowledgment yet for a new application with was sent off almost 2 months ago

Now if he is calling all his applications new applications i apologise but i think he is on about a brand new application for a new firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ah, my apologies; I missed the bit about it being a 'new' application.

In that case, a two month game of hide-and-seek does appear to be excessive all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

ezridax wrote: »
    Its not a re-application Rovi. I think Hezz is on about the new application he put in :

Now if he is calling all his applications new applications i apologise but i think he is on about a brand new application for a new firearm.

You got it right. Thanks

Sorry guys, should have made that clear.

Advertisement