Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Arcade games that are suprisingly good.

• 26-11-2009 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Anyone come across any xbox arcade games that were surprisingly fun to play? or exceeded expectations?

My list so far is:
    -NHL 3 on 3 ice hockey.
    -Battlefield 1943
    -Bomber Man.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Marble Blast Ultra .... its fairly old at this stage, so newer xbox players may never have come across it. Incredibly addictive (particularly if you have friends who played it on your leaderboard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Braid is the obvious choice. Also, for some retro action, The Secret of Monkey Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

hobochris wrote: »
    Anyone come across and xbox arcade games that were surprisingly fun to play? or exceeded expectations?

My list so far is:
    -NHL 3 on 3 ice hockey.
    -Battlefield 1943
    -Bomber Man.

there's a madden version out aswell, downloaded the trial and it's good. Only had one game so I'll give it another go later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Shadow Complex - A surprisingly full experience for a pittance...
    Geometry Wars Evolved 2 - somehow manages to better the original!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I wouldn't say 'surprisingly' good for most of the games listed, as they almost all got good reviews. But that's being pedantic!

A definite +1 for Shadow Complex, Braid and Monkey Island. I loved Castle Crashers too and one of my favourites is 'Splosion Man. Trials HD is pretty good too. South Park Tower Defense is surprisingly solid, though I haven't played enough of it to judge it fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Bomberman
    Marble Blast Ultra (mega game, incredibly addictive)
    Words Armageddon - love this for 2+ player play
    Castle Crashers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

peggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Trials HD
    Shadow Complex
    SSF2THD
    Worms
    Metal Slug 3
    Castle Crashers
    Small Arms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

peggle3.jpg

FTW!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Fieldog wrote: »
    Trials HD

+1, starts simple, gets very difficult, super addictive the whole way

it's the only arcade game i've purchased, it has opened my eyes to the possibility of a few hidden gems

• Advertisement

Does Smash TV count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

theteal wrote: »
    +1, starts simple, gets very difficult, super addictive the whole way

it's the only arcade game i've purchased, it has opened my eyes to the possibility of a few hidden gems

I've been thinking about buying it, loved the demo. Really worth it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

BF1943 is probably the best value game ever released. You will literally get hundreds of hours out of it once you get into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Another set of votes for Braid, Splosion man and Secret of Monkey Island here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Zuma and Peggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Braid is one of the best little puzzle games in ages. Had a friend playing it for the first time the other day and it was great watching him go through the confusion of a puzzle to the realisation and ingenuity of the solution. Great game

Peggle is an addictive one as well. Seems quite lame initially but when you finish a level the first time and the fireworks go off and Ode to Joy is pumped out you can't help but feel rewarded. I play it mostly now in head to head with the wife which can be hilarious. Some of the expletives we both utter can be shocking. Great stuff.

Splosion man. I really liked this one. It's quite a simple and easy run for at least 50% of it but becomes very challenging at times. You almost have to have things perfect to complete sections which is great. Add to that the enjoyment of multiplayer and the fact that there's 50 different levels for Multi as well and theres value for money there.

Bionic Commando Rearmed is another one I was familiar with from the NES days but never really played in the day. It's another cracking little game. I picked it up on a deal of the week awhile back and it really was the best 400pts I've spent. Challenging to get the controls nailed and rewarding when you pull together some perfect swings and shots to take out the baddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

But are any of these games listed 'surprisingly' good ? They were all expected to be good and the only one that I can think of that came from nowhere was Trials, unless I missed the previews. The likes of Bomberman and Monkey Island have been good since the 90s so it's no surprise they live versions are good and all previews pointed towards Braid being good. Or am I just being a little too pedantic on the title of the thread ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

For me, Switchball is the one that sticks out, as a game I knew little about and wasn't expecting much from. Love it now

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Braid was a surprise hit for me, loved every minute of it. The end is absolutely brilliant too, well worth sticking at it to get to the last level.

Catan (the board game version is called The Settlers Of Catan) is a terrific game and between that and Carcassone my mates and I must have played hundreds of hours of each.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

n+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Braid and Marble Blast Ultra are my 2 tops
    Portal if you don't have the orange box is also fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Geometry Wars 2 is staggeringly addicitive when you get into it. I will be buying it soon.
    http://www.bizarrecreations.com/games/geometry_wars_retro_evolved_2/#trailer

Muppet Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Geometry Wars 2 is brilliant.
    Trials HD also excellent.

Advertisement