Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Question B/W or Colour ( help pick)

• 26-11-2009 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Looking for some quick feed back before 1.15. Please.

I'm getting a photo printed which I'm hoping to sell next week.
    My mind is telling me to go with the b/w but i have a feeling that it would sell better in colour. The majority of the city shots are in B/W.

1 022D8B05D6084E66B7684BA958564F53.jpg

2 E8AFE813F44F4D31B2B833BF810312F0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd go with B/W version but would increase contrast to bring out the lights in the building and dramatise the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I prefer the colour version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Both. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

both work well. colour by a nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

bullpost wrote: »
    I'd go with B/W version but would increase contrast to bring out the lights in the building and dramatise the sky.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I prefer the colour one as well.

How did you get up on the bridge? Is there public access or were you bold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

Ah. I'll check the costs and get both printed then run it by the guys doing the frames.
    Thanks guys.

Ballyman - There is a walkway across the bridge. I managed to rest my camera on one of the steal beams or i might have used my tripod. Not 100 % sure as it was taken about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

For me the B&W stands out, it 'pops' that little bit more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Both work, just depends on the setting and use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I like both as well but the colour one just wins.

I do however find the photographer (at least i think it is one on the far right) in the shot a little distracting and the bright light just beside him/her also kinda takes my eye form the main composition. Maybe clone him out and darken the light a little?

The blown out sky on the left also could do with some work. But overall I think it is a great shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I too like them both, but it'd be colour by a fraction imo. As others have said, pity about yer wan there in the right, she's not obvious enough to look like a part of the composition and not discrete enough to fade into the background.

The colour would definitely sell better too. The lights and the sky are more immediately impressive, and draw they eye more, so I can imagine people going for that over the subtlety of the B&W. An interesting experiment would be to print them both, put them side by side and see which gets snapped up first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

B/W:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

B/W.....I think

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Snap Happy

i think both look good - can't pick
    Really like them

I’m so indecisive at times.
    So i got them printed and then brought them to get framed. After going through a good few styles i have decided to get both of them framed.
    The framing for the colour one picks up on the tint of the car lights and looked pretty good (hopefully). I should have them done by next week so i’ll post them up in this thread.

ttcomet and Captain Flaps - i would agree with you. I think it’s a pity he’s blocking a part of the arch on the bridge but thats how it was when it was taken and my photoshop skills aren’t that great.

Thanks for the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

b/w but then I'm a massive sucker for b/w photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Colour - just by a whisker. They both look great.

I’m so annoyed. I got my frames collected today and when i got home from work i was shocked when i seen what had happened.
    Somehow, they managed to mess up the order. They managed to put all the colored prints in the sliver frames and the black and whites in the brushed brown frames.
    The panoramic one has bubbles in it and it looks terrible. For the amount i paid it seems that they weren't even checked before they were let go. And surely the guy framing them should have clicked with the styles of the frames.
    Cant get over this mistake. The exhibition is tomorrow night and i just hope i can get this sorted before the show. If not it could be a very costly mistake.

E1E4C84D63994544B919680645AFE745.jpg

3CE97D80F1EE4034AC4914ACA0DC3369.jpg

3FBA6266E35A44B39DB2B227BE50F5DA.jpg

A88A56B7DC444BE397D90BA1A50A10D5.jpg

66D458A9E90948D7B65E434B63BDBDFF.jpg

3754724A2053494A803493DD6B838014.jpg

97317979BC9F4B349DB07CB669E397FC.jpg

25FA21F1F5A0471BB46CEA6290010F08.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Wow, so sorry to hear :(

My only advice would be to keep as calm as possible, try to get it sorted (it should just be a case of taking the back off the frames and swapping the mounts, shouldn't it?) and once it's taken care of, freak out at the framer.

• Advertisement

It will have to be done over the phone first thing in the morning. I'd never raise my voice, but hopefully we'll come to some agreement and they can fix the errors before 5 tomorrow.
    Due to the distance i wont be able to bring the frames in personally to them due to work etc, which is a bit annoying as i'd like to see their reaction for this mess up (as i think they didn't check the finished pieces) and to recap on the last visit in which i spent 30 mins talking to them about what i wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Are the silver & brown frames the same size? Like RB suggests, would it not be less trouble to swap them over yourself?

Either way, it's a monumental cock up on their behalf though and I do hope you are able to get it sorted in time. The images look great btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

mobileblog wrote: »
    It will have to be done over the phone first thing in the morning. I'd never raise my voice, but hopefully we'll come to some agreement and they can fix the errors before 5 tomorrow.
    Due to the distance i wont be able to bring the frames in personally to them due to work etc, which is a bit annoying as i'd like to see their reaction for this mess up (as i think they didn't check the finished pieces) and to recap on the last visit in which i spent 30 mins talking to them about what i wanted.

How did you get on ?

The last 24 hour have been a disaster.
    I awoke, drank a cup of coffee to fix my voice and sat beside the phone. I outlined all the problems on paper so i could tick them off.
    I lifted the phone and called, explained the problem and was told to bring them back, without raising my voice.
    I had to go to work so i got my sister to drop off the frames. During the move the frames got damaged somehow. I called the shop and we had words over the phone in which i raised my voice. ( i felt bad but i felt that i was being taken for a ride) I explained the problems in simple terms and the photos that needed to be changed.
    I chased mid day.
    We then spoke at 4 and closed the matter. I thanked them and didn't say anything else.
    I got my prints at 6. I unwrapped them. They still managed to mess up, but they did replace the silver frames that were apparently damaged by me!! I’ll never use them again. Which is a shame, because when they are good they are good.....but when they are bad... well.
    I was surprised by the crowd, honestly i was expecting a small few, but it looked liked a steady flow of people, between 3 hours. Unfortunately i didn't sell any, but i feel i out priced myself, but thats down to the frames.
    I found it a bit strange, standing there and having people talk about your work. It was a great feeling, and thats the biggest thing that i’ll take away from it. The NY photo went down a treat but no red stickers.

6 day left..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Glad they fixed most of the frames for you, 6 days is plenty time to sell some. Towards the end you could always lower the price a bit if you wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

It's a shame about the mess-up and the lack of sales, but those are great photos. Well done.

Advertisement