Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poorly Puppy

Options
  • 26-11-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I collected my 8 week old cocker spaniel puppy on Sunday and she is now in the vets with Parvo.

I am absolutely devastated.

She started to go downhill from Monday night and I took her to the vets last night and she was dehydrated so they said they would keep her in overnight on a drip.
    When they came in this morning she had gone downhill and thats when they tested for Parvo and it came back positive.

She is on antibiotics now and I am going to see her this afternoon. I hope she perks up a little bit otherwise the vet said we will have to make a decision on her welfare in the next 24hrs.

Fingers crossed for my little Lexi x x x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

all the best for her - i know this is a trying time for you, but may i ask where you got her from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry to hear about your puppy and hope it pulls through.

Was the pup vaccinated when you got it? just wondering if you got it from a good breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Oh my god that is an awful thing to happen ,,said a little prayer for her and fingers crossed it was caught in time,..
    Just to note parvo is highley contagious so if you have any other dogs that haven't been vacsinated please get them checked out.
    so sorry fr you and your pup ,,hope everything works out..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

Parvo is an awful thing for dogs.... and yep, a complete killer :(

We got a 10 wk old Basset pup - brought her home & within 48 hours, she was dead with parvo.
    OK, we had puppy insurance, but it was still heartbreaking.
    So... got some F&M disinfectant to clean down the house & yard.... was told by the vet that all should have been ok - was about 4 weeks after... and went to collect a 6 month old Basset bitch - we thought an older pup who had been jabbed would be ok.....

Anyway, 8 days later, we finally picked her up from the vets after a 6 day stay :eek:
    She'd lost half her bodyweight & very nearly died on us as well..... she went on to become a fantastic dog.

The galling thing was that we had got the dogs from good breeders.... except the vet thought our 2 yr old boy had picked up the parvo virus on one of his many walks out at some point & infected the house :(

Please be careful & good luck for the pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Beckyb

Don't shoot me down now! I got her from a breeder who was advertising on Donedeal. I have been looking for a black roan cocker spaniel for ages and saw these and she was too cute to say no to!

• Advertisement

She had her 1st injections but not her 2nd ones yet, due in 2 weeks.

She is on antibiotics and the vet has not rung yet so no changes.

Going to disinfect the floors and all the bedding she was on at home when I get in.
    I have 2 other adult dogs which are due their boosters in a month or so, but I might just get them done early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well as said parvo is very contagious so do make sure to clean everything and ask your vet about getting your other two dogs done early.
    It may or may not have been the breeders fault regarding parvo, if they had their first vaccs. They can pick it up very easily.
    I do hope she can recover I really do

edit - also did you contact the breeder to let them know?

Beckyb wrote: »
    She had her 1st injections but not her 2nd ones yet, due in 2 weeks.

She is on antibiotics and the vet has not rung yet so no changes.

Going to disinfect the floors and all the bedding she was on at home when I get in.
    I have 2 other adult dogs which are due their boosters in a month or so, but I might just get them done early.

hey BeckyB - all the best, i don't think anyone would be hearltess enough to shoot you down, trully an awfull thing - did the Vet suggest getting the older dogs boosters early>?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Beckyb wrote: »
    Don't shoot me down now! I got her from a breeder who was advertising on Donedeal. I have been looking for a black roan cocker spaniel for ages and saw these and she was too cute to say no to!

While there are some bad breeders on donedeal, there are some fantasic ones.

I got my wheaten terrier on there and I've never met a more caring breeder, she still emails me to see how the little guy is getting on. She cried when we took the pup away and was so helpful at all times. She gave me a free puppy pack, with training tips she had done out herself.

The mother was her pet of four years and was the second litter.

So just because its on donedeal does not mean you'll get a sick dog. Our guy was and still is perfect. Didn't even have the runs when he came home first.

However you do have to be carful.

Good luck with the pup, my fingers are crossed for you and the little guy.

PS. Not that wikipedia is a great place for reliable info, but apparently bleach is the only household product that will get rid of the infection and the virus can hang around for up to one year in poo and soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Firstly, please inform the breeder. Parvo is very contagious and they will need to on the look out for any other pups they might have.

Use Jayes Fluid - it now comes in a spray bottle - use it on concrete, floors, grass, souls of shoes etc. to kill off the virus. Or a very strong chlorine bleach solution will do too. You'll need to apply it to any area your pup has been. Keep your other two dogs away from it and wear protective clothing while using it, wash off the area you use it on really well (give it at least 2 rinses) and leave to dry. It will bleach clothes and furnishings so keep it away from these, it will also do quite a job on the grass too (expect patches!). There is no guarantee that you will get the Parvo out of your house, but doing your best is all that you can do. Chuck out bedding, you'll destroy it trying to fully disinfect it - it's handier (and a better guarantee against the virus) to buy more.

Even with using harsh chemicals you have no real guarantee that you will eradicate Parvo fully from your home. It can live for up to 9 months/1year in an environment and is very infectious. If you could get your other two dogs their booster before the pup comes home, this would be great. Giving them a wash wouldn't be a bad idea either - try to make sure they are not walking around with traces on their feet/coat etc. Good luck with the disinfecting - it's a real pain and a lot of effort. Hope your pup is feeling better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I had a GS pup years ago who contracted Parvo before vet medicine was as good as it is now and he pulled through and grew to be a 'horse' of a dog!!:) No reason to think your little guy can't do the same. Just be sure to follow the guidelines of previous posters and clean everywhere the pup has been cos if he does pull through his immune system with be v.depleted and will be more prone to getting re-infected or picking up other bugs. Best Wishes

Went to see baby Lexi last night and she was curled up but sat up when I walked in and was biting my finger! We started to try and think positive (even though there was a lab x in the cage under her with Parvo at lunchtime but by the time we went back in the evening he had been pts.)

But I rang at 9.01am this morning when they opened and the vet nurse said she had been sick again in the night and lots of bloody diarrhea so now I am back to square one and am worried sick about her. I have a horrible feeling that we will be forced to make the hardest decision before the day is out.

Breeder has taken the other 2 pups to the vet and they are on antibiotics and he has withdrawn the advert for them now until they get the all clear.

keep us posted - prayers are with you

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

ah beckyb my heart goes out to you. I really hope she pulls through. Good wishes for lil lexi. Am praying she pulls through. Stay positive you'd be surprised at what lil fighters they are. x Keep us posted please.

Lexi went to rainbow bridge last night.

We are both devastated but know in our hearts it was the right decision for the little angel.

R.I.P Lexi xx

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

You poor thing, I am so sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

So sorry to hear this, at least she's out of pain now. RIP x

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

im so sorry to hear that :( have you contacted the breeder?

meisha wrote: »
    im so sorry to hear that :( have you contacted the breeder?

I am about to let him know the outcome now. He knew she was poorly but not that she was pts yet.

Couldnt talk to anyone yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, it's terrible when pets die. Hope you are ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

That's so sad. Sorry to hear that. X

RIP Lexi - my thoughts are with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shona2

first of all am very sorry for your loss
    but what you must do is ask the breeder for your money back and any money you spent in the vets, he sold you a sick pup, it was sick when he had it. breeders like that are just breeding for money, thay dont care about the dogs at all.
    small clames court.... people like that should not be let breed dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

Shona, I have to disagree there... we got our pup from a really good breeder who was devastated to hear that our pup had Parvo - the rest of the litter was fine, so it must have been brought to our house by our big lad.

Not ALL breeders are bad - we just tend to hear more horror stories about the bad ones :(

Becky - when you got the pup, did you get the standard 6 week puppy insurance with her? Although it's little consolation, at least you would have the financial side taken care of.

Chin up - and please make sure you are clear amd disinfected before getting another dog, else you'll be going down the same road again, sadly.

Breeder has offered us her litter sister but no talk of money.

Vet bill was paid last night €300!! Dont stand a chance of getting it back from him. Do you really think he is liable? Can I ask him for it?

We got the insurance with her, but it doesn't cover them for the first 14 days from when its taken out so not covered anyway.

Well he's only liable if it's proven the pup had parvo before you took it.
    You said you'd another dog yes? As said, your other dog may have brought it in.
    Have any of the rest of the litter been checked/have parvo?

Obviously I'm sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking and it's a financial loss but at the same time it may or may not be the breeders fault. Had you it checked by a vet before you took it? Also is the breeder offering the sister as replacement or would you have to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Parvo symptoms typically show up within 5 - 10 days.

I'd be checking to see what your vets opinion on all this is to see if you have any case against the breeder.

Vet 'thinks' she had it when she came to us as was ill so quick after us getting her.
    My other 2 are fine, but just gave them their boosters to be on the safe side.

He had 2 puppies left when we took Lexi and he had them both tested and they were clear.
    We are going to contact his vet just to verify this.

The sister would be given to us in replacement.

Well I guess best contact his vet and ask your own vets advice and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shona2

that pup deff had parvo when you got it.... do not get litter sister,get your money back and vets bill. he sold you a sick pup,parvo does not happen over night,thay have it for days befor it looks sick. your rights is to get a total refund and the 300e.

Advertisement