Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

used car dealer

• 26-11-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

i traded in a opel vectra 2003 against a citron c3 - 04
    i arived at the garage in dublin i ast if i could take a test drive in the c3
    and the garage owner sead he would take my vectra for a spin while i was out with the c3

i came back and told him i was happy with the c3
    he said yea your car is fine lets go to the office and sort out the paperwork

i signed over my vectra my wife signed the paperwork for the c3
    then i paid the agreed €1000 for the c3 by visa.

i drove home and everything was fine until the next morning when the garage owner rang me to tell me he was not happy with the paintwork on the vectra
    and he would have to get it re sprayed.
    so he wants another €1000 from me to pay for the spray job

on his warenty it said all bumps and scratches and interior work will be deemed to be exceptible at time of purchas unless noted to him before sale

the simi document that my wife signed asks the question
    has this vehical had any structural damage
    and also has this vehical had any body work

we ansered no to thies questions.

the thruth is it was never in an accadent
    it never had any dints that had to be brought to a workshop

it only ever had a few scraches touched up
    like most have being im sure

but dose touching up scratches mean bodywork ?
    or dose taking out dints mean bodywork ?

please tell me what to do

ps. the garage owner will not send in the tax book to be regestered in my wifes name until i pay him the €1000

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Tell him that the deal has already been done and that you won't be paying him another cent. Not that I have much faith in them, but i'd give the SIMI a quick call too - he's a member, so he has to abide by the T&C on the SIMI order form. Failing that it's legal action, but i'd imagine he'll back down as it doesn't sound like he has a leg to stand on. Don't be tempted to compromise on price, the deal has already been done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op I had a similar problem a while back.
    Traded in a 01 Brava because it failed the NCT for emissions, got 1700 for it off a 03 Vectra. The guy asked "does it have a NCT?" I said no thats all he rasked (it was burning oil and clogging up the cat and a mate said he'd need to take the engine apart so best to get rid of it) Anyway got a 6 month warranty with the car and about 3 weeks later I get a call from the garage to say my warranty is invalid because the car needs a new engine.

My reply -> I have a warranty in writing you took the car without checking out all the details not my fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This is a very strange case. Dont give him anything. He inspected your car and drove it and said all was well. What kind of a dealer is he if he cannot inspect a car and allow a figure on it.
    If he buys at auction, does he go back crying to them that its not what he thought it was and wants some money back. Tell him to get real.
    To be honest, if there was an issue where you deceived him, he would have a case but in this instance, he has told you that the problem with the car is paintwork so really its was up to him to walk around it, note anything that will require sorting out and allow for it. he was careless, tough luck I say.
    it is unusual for a dealer to try something like this. I small bit of paint work is'nt going to kill him anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I agree. Tough cheddar on the dealer in this case.

The VLC issue can easily be sorted, maybe advise him you aqre in the habit of getting a few parking fines? ;)

Advertisement