Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it Now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

@dpop - are your hard days, pn's rest days ;)

I'd be up for some of dat (tuff training stuff) too, but talk in december is easy :D

See ya in the morning weather permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Strange Loops. Strange Lad more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

@dpop - are your hard days, pn's rest days ;)

I'd be up for some of dat (tuff training stuff) too, but talk in december is easy :D

See ya in the morning weather permitting.

Talk is cheap? I'm the one signed up for the 55k mountain marathon at night, while you still lick your wounds doing 9k loops at 4:22 pace :p:p:p

See you tomorrow early, weather/cloud dependent.:D

Strange Loops. Strange Lad more like.

Its turned back to a log diary. Just spent 5 minutes making robot moves with my daughter to Kraftwerk. Now about to play pool with this as backdrop. Reliving my youth, you see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

This website smacks of one delicious sitcom with multiple hilariously and slightly dysfunctional/tragic/uplifting/inspirational subplots that wind and intermingle with a common goal.

Merry Christmas dpop. Whatever your thread is to you - a diary or training log, please know that there is a gal across the pond who looks forward to each new post...in all it's quirky glory.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    This website smacks of one delicious sitcom with multiple hilariously and slightly dysfunctional/tragic/uplifting/inspirational subplots that wind and intermingle with a common goal.

Merry Christmas dpop. Whatever your thread is to you - a diary or training log, please know that there is a gal across the pond who looks forward to each new post...in all it's quirky glory.

:D You made my day Dory!:eek: (my daughter on my knee told me to put in the eek! she likes emoticons!) And Merry Christmas to you and yours too! :D

Ok, time for a gear check. Lets go up Annagh in the am dark anyway. Meet at 7:20am, forest entrance. The runner formally known as ambulatory has committed, so that should be another joining us, Mick:D

The sitcom continued this morning. A dpop txt to wake me up for a 7.20 run start (not 7.30 as advised the last time we talked, so less time to wake up). Weird to be torchlight running in the morning. Still, a nice way to start the day and I now know where to go and pray if I need to on Annagh hill :p Now.. is it too late to go back to bed for an hour.

Fri 4 mile hill run.

SJ was there at 7:20am, PN had gone on ahead, so we switched on the headtorches, and made for the climb, on a balmy and misty pre-dawn. Its hardly easier in the dark, and I trudged up to the gate in 18:50. I'm including that stat as a marker, I need to bring it down under 15:00. Still dark on the top, we ran to meet PN at the appointed collapsed "church", and waited for the sunrise out over the Irish Sea, more in hope than expectation. The few lights visible down below us, I took for a ferry bringing emigrants home to their families, and small beaming triangles I imagined were sailing vessels, bobbing gently below with nets full of shrimp that would adorn many a Christmas table.

(After the mist lifted a bit I realised we were in fact looking over land, and those lights the newly-awakened putting on their coffee with a yawn and an arse scratch.)

So no real chance to see the dawn, instead just a gloaming that enveloped us. We started running again, along the grassy ridge, very wet and slippy underfoot. Cross the wall, turn back up the hill. I put down the foot a bit towards the top- I can run decent hill repeats if needed, but long slow slogs are not my forte. Back into the forest, and down to the cars. No solstice light, but a good start to the day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Fri 4 mile hill run.

SJ was there at 7:20am, PN had gone on ahead,

Sounds very romantic. Delighted to see bromance blossoming at this festive time of the year. :)

• Advertisement

jeffontour wrote: »
    Sounds very romantic. Delighted to see bromance blossoming at this festive time of the year. :)

Now Jeff, don't be jealous!

These two lads aren't a patch on our special 6 hour bromancing the Wicklow Way;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

, I've been PM'ing another poster and im fat and slow. I'm 41, .
    does ur missus know about this....

ultraman1 wrote: »
    does ur missus know about this....

She knows I'm fat, she knows I'm 41, she tell's me I'm slow whenever we watch Mastermind.

She encourages me PM'ing strangers, on the offchance someone will bite.;)

Xmas Day Goal mile race. 5:31.

This was the first hosting of a Goal mile race within striking distance of my house, a couple of laps around the GAA pitch in Craanford. Its a great facility, they have a hard cinder surface on the perimeter. The organization was excellent, from the measurement, to the wave starts, to the refreshments.

A quick look around the skinny malinky's warming up, told me this would be no Carnew Santa dash type field. The announcer said their would be three runs, the first for anyone looking to finish around 5 or 6 minutes, the second for slower runners, and the third for walkers and joggers. Slieve Buidhe had turned up in force, and its great to see such a decent turn-out for an inaugural local race. I was aiming to get under 6 minutes by a second or two, so went in the first wave. The gun goes, I'm with a group of 8 or 9 at the head. After 400m or so, my Garmin says I'm running 5:00 pace, thats too fast, so I ease of a little. Breathing is increased, legs starting to hurt, the wind is whipping into my face, and all I can think of is a recent PM from a Boardie who was discussing his races. He's much faster than me, but he says he still feels sick from anticipating pain on the starting line, he still fights the urge to drop out of all races. His words have had me questioning my own lack of ambition.

So I start sucking up the pain, and keeping the legs going. There's a big gap ahead to the guy in front, I'm not going to catch him. But I'm going to close the gap. 600m to go, gasping at this stage. I hear footsteps and heavy breathing closing down from a runner behind me. I remind myself that he's hurting too, so I up the pace to interval level. Can't go much faster than this. Watch says I'm looking at a 5:35 finish pace- that's way quicker than I expected. A runner spectating shouts encouragement- "Go on, he's closing, fight the wind, you can get 5:30!". I'm decide its only pain, I'm going to respond. The last bend and straight is into a fierce headwind, and I felt close to puking. Now I'm really fighting, but every stride is a stride closer to the end. I give it everything I've left, and the timekeeper calls 5:31 as I cross the line. (Garmin says 5:34 for the mile)

I'm very happy with that time, I had expected to be a few seconds over or under 6 minutes. What this means, is I have a mark to work from. That mile time is going under 5 minutes in 2012. I could have gone faster today had I been fighting a runner on my shoulder. Certainly could have gone faster had I been a 10 or 15 kg lighter, and with more interval training.

But that's for next year, for today I'm thrilled with my time, and my race. Diets etc can wait until the New Year. Let the feasting begin! Merry fecking Christmas everybody!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running d'pop, and a superb way to get your xmas day off to a solid start. Now drink, eat and be merry. :)

I decide its only pain...

:). Well done on your performance and perspective. Great mental savagery.
    Merry fecking Christmas dpop.

• Advertisement

Now drink, eat and be merry. :)

It was going to be a cup of tea and an early night, but you're the boss. Enjoy the skiing, we'll get out on a run when you get back. Try to fatten up/slow down, when you're out there :)

5:31 Not bad for a fat lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done, we'll have to set up a summer challenge - although there's a vicious rumour circulating on the Interweb saying your official time was 5:41!!!

Could you do me a favour BB? Please spend the rest of your Xmas eve explaining this data to the interweb:p (didn't press stop after line). It's very important.

I'll take the official timekeeper's word over some shiny-domed M40, ta very much. I accept your gauntlet, sir, and look forward to applauding your effort over the finish line this summer.:)

No more Mr. nice guy. Just beat my father-in-law three straight pool games. Usually I toss him a bone. Not any more, fight fight fight gets the win.

Ah now don't open the Garmin debate :D
    There was a great atmosphere this morning in Craanford for there first GOAL Mile! Tom Hogan was in 1st place in 4-44, Paul Gibbons 4-50, Myles Gibbons 5-01, Lahcen Aouissar 5-10, David Leonard 5-12, Bernard Fortune 5-23, Paul Joyce 5-41, Joe Kehoe 6-25. A great turnout for a great cause. Well done lads

Plus I heard it was net downhill and that someone from Clonliffe measured the course ;)

• Advertisement

Your likeness is remarkable - happy christmas, must meet for a trot on the hills.

Mon 26th Dec 4 miles easy/steady

Its amazing how different pace appears after running fast. 4 miles in the forest, at recovery pace. The effort didn't seem too bad, but I knew from my leg turnover that I was running a lot faster than usual. Slowed it down each time I noticed, but in the end gave this up, finishing fast.

I think I can take the pain associated with short, hard, effort, a lot better than I can take the pain from long, endured, effort.

Good run yesterday, well done.

"I think I can take the pain associated with short, hard, effort, a lot better than I can take the pain from long, endured, effort. ". Bad timing for that conclusion just before the AON :D

Good run yesterday, well done.

"I think I can take the pain associated with short, hard, effort, a lot better than I can take the pain from long, endured, effort. ". Bad timing for that conclusion just before the AON :D

The shorter stuff I can "compete" in, as much as that means anything. I've natural speed, don't have natural endurance. The AON will just be an endurance slog, a lot will be walked, the fun part of it is looking at the map and taking 100m off here, 100m off there. It's about keeping going against the conditions, and is more about personal achievement than competition.

To be honest (MASSIVE caveat, I've never done it in one go), it should be achievable in 6-7 hours in decent conditions, for an average runner. That's on paper, and I've huge respect for the record holder... but I reckon it could be ran in 4-5 hours by someone not extraordinary. Its only 55k, the offroad hasn't much climbs, and you can run 50% of the offroad stuff.

Famous last words...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

It takes balls to call a spade a spade.

Thats the attitude all mountain races should be looked at.

Tue 4 miles steady

The best laid plans go awry during these days 'tween the 25th and the 1st...

An intended meetup in Avondale was truncated when I got a better offer of running over Croghanmoira. Alas, this was abandoned at the 11th hour, so I went to the forest at dusk. A steady 4 miles, weaving between the trees. Leg turnover was pretty decent again, and I feel like I have a bit of power to call on these days.

Wed 40 min hill run

Met with PosNeg and SloggerJ, for a varient up around Annagh route. This was an orienteers loop, initially through the forest, then hit the trail again, to hit the summit. A little ridge shimmy, before heading down through forest again, very steep, crashing through branches, jumping down to slide on the angled ground, out onto mud, all the time, fast fast fast down down down. I totally suck at uphill running, but can travel fast downhill with the best of them.

Back contouring across forest, I left the guys here as those pine branches were threatening my €1000000 jacket. Back down along the final downhill for the Annagh race route, which was positively tame in comparison to the earlier forest downhills.

Suck at uphill? Fast at downhill? With all this talk about you being a fat lad, Newton's laws of motion come to mind. ;) Of course, we'd be disproving a few things.... The run sounds like it was a blast.

Suck at uphill? Fast at downhill? With all this talk about you being a fat lad, Newton's laws of motion come to mind. ;) Of course, we'd be disproving a few things.... The run sounds like it was a blast.

That's it in a nutshell- I can run against both these guys for a lot longer on the flat, whereas they break ahead of me much sooner running uphill. Too much blubber (thankfully it's starting to come off). Added momentum on the downhills, and padding for a fall, is the only benefit.

• Advertisement

Less blubber however makes it easier to change direction at speed... Something essential for rapid descending.

Then again, just throwing yourself at the descent on a wing and a prayer can be surprisingly effective! I find hating oneself to be conductive to good descending technique

...which might also explain why track athletes are **** at it

ocnoc wrote: »
    Less blubber however makes it easier to change direction at speed... Something essential for rapid descending.

Very good point. I had a lesson in this tonight, watching PN slalom between the trees as I knocked off a lot more branches.

Weight will be my no.1 priority for Jan, speed for Feb.

Happy New Year dpop. Is it now? Or not? Stay tuned after this commercial break........ ;)

Happy New Year dpop. Is it now? Or not? Stay tuned after this commercial break........ ;)

Happy Noo Yeah to you too Dory Dory! I love this time of year, fresh start, clean slate, and all that. I decided to change my log title, was mulling over possibilities, when from nowhere my daughter asked me "Is it Now"? Not "Is it, now?" (as in, "Get yer hands off ya fecker, that's my pint!". "Is it, now?" **meleé ensues**), but she was asking was it now now. Wow, is it, now? No, I know, it's now now, no? Or is now now now? Now now, I said, no-one knows if now is now or now, you know? Now is now. Or is it now?"

Figuring I had now put that to rest, I decided it would a decent title make. I have a lot of goals for this year. Life-defining, etcetera, and they will be now or never.

Sun 1st Jan 2012 10k steady

Torchlit along the forest, until I doused for the half moon. My feet are used to running in dark now, eyes have adjusted to low light, instinct is sharp and honed. The pace was steady, and I upped it for the return leg, finishing with a nice stride of good length and form.

PS Cheers to all the good folk who voted me Poster of the Year, I should say it means nothing, but I'm really chuffed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PS Cheers to all the good folk who voted me Poster of the Year, I should say it means nothing, but I'm really chuffed! :D

Ray's post really swung the vote for me. You should buy that man a pint. Maybe you could invite him as your partner to the pacers do :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well I still owe him a pint for organising the Boards tops :pac:

Happy Noo Yeah to you too Dory Dory! I love this time of year, fresh start, clean slate, and all that. I decided to change my log title, was mulling over possibilities, when from nowhere my daughter asked me "Is it Now"? Not "Is it, now?" (as in, "Get yer hands off ya fecker, that's my pint!". "Is it, now?" **meleé ensues**), but she was asking was it now now. Wow, is it, now? No, I know, it's now now, no? Or is now now now? Now now, I said, no-one knows if now is now or now, you know? Now is now. Or is it now?"

Wow....there is nothing I can add....

With that being said, my hubby and I are possibly heading to Ireland in July...if so, think we can try to hook up for an orienteering adventure session with you and some of the mountain goats?

With that being said, my hubby and I are possibly heading to Ireland in July...if so, think we can try to hook up for an orienteering adventure session with you and some of the mountain goats?

Absolutely:D Check out the IMRA calendar for races around then, If that doesn't suit, there's loads of trails we can meet up on.

• Advertisement

Absolutely:D Check out the IMRA calendar for races around then, If that doesn't suit, there's loads of trails we can meet up on.

I'm so psyched at the prospect of dusting off my compass and reading some maps with you lads. And, of course, there better be a pub involved at the end of this adventure.

Mon 12k fartlek. The whole family came up for a forest loop, so while they jogged, I did my fartlek bursts, jogging back to them each time. This seemed to work well, after 4k I left them back to the car, and took off myself. The initial bursts were all 30-60 secs long, and pretty fast, for the solo part I attacked long hills, jogging the downs.

Running with the family is a good way of stalling the never-seen marathon dad, which I'm always wary of becoming. At this stage of my life, I have my goals, but the kids have to come first. So much so, that I'm reconsidering doing the Art O'Neill. It will mean a solo weekend, my son will miss his rugby training, all for a race which I'm not prepared for (or very excited about, well, the initial road part, anyway). I'll sleep on it and decide- they have a waiting list a mile long, so it might be preferable to give a place to someone who really wants to do it. My focus at the moment is about running shorter, faster, and the AON is very much a long slow slog.

Bags the krypolitium rain jacket.

Bags the krypolitium rain jacket.

You might have to wait a bit before plundering my wardrobe. I saw something on the AON website yesterday asking doubters to contact them so the waiting list people could be facilitated, but I can't find it now (in fact it states no transfers or refunds). Haven't heard back from them, so I might just have to run the damn thing, to get my moneys worth.

Tue 7k easy

Last light of the day, splashing through the forest, nice'n'easy.

If your wussing out of the art o'neil (and giving yourself a few weeks of quality training instead of sitting on your arse recovering) there was a shout out on the IMRA forum for a race number transfer.

Trust me, you get a bigger buzz out of doing well in a hard hill race over suffering it out for a few hours in a cold jan night.

Ignore PN - he just doesn't want you to beat him ;)

Do more terrain runs - get stronger, get closer to the race leaders...

Or go orienteering http://vimeo.com/23237161
    All the top hill runners orienteer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As you know, all the cool people are doing Art O'Neill in 2013 instead.

Shame if you're dropping out seeing as you've done some recces for it but there's a 50k to think of aswell, people keep mentioning the wicklow way ultra to me as well. That's just crazy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

. My focus at the moment is about running shorter, faster
    i like ur defonition of shorter...welcome to the dark side

ocnoc wrote: »
    If your wussing out of the art o'neil (and giving yourself a few weeks of quality training instead of sitting on your arse recovering) there was a shout out on the IMRA forum for a race number transfer.

Trust me, you get a bigger buzz out of doing well in a hard hill race over suffering it out for a few hours in a cold jan night.

Ignore PN - he just doesn't want you to beat him ;)

Do more terrain runs - get stronger, get closer to the race leaders...

Or go orienteering http://vimeo.com/23237161
    All the top hill runners orienteer

Cheers, I replied to Ken just now. Emailed the organizers yesterday, haven't heard back from them though.

I enjoyed the recce's , looking at the map, planning routes, etc. The initial 30k on roads I had shoved to the back of my mind. Goal is to work harder in the imra races, all right, and thats all terrain work. I'm lucky in that my local hills offer an abundance of variety, all a couple of miles warm-up run from the house.
    As you know, all the cool people are doing Art O'Neill in 2013 instead.

Shame if you're dropping out seeing as you've done some recces for it but there's a 50k to think of aswell, people keep mentioning the wicklow way ultra to me as well. That's just crazy talk.

You should do the WW Ultra, its a decent into to the hills, for road runners. I'll be honest with you though, I've ran that route too often (and turned to such a terrain snob that its a road run for me). Actually, given where you are in training, the 25k Trail race might suit you better?
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    i like ur defonition of shorter...welcome to the dark side

:D No freakin' way! I'm only doing that 50k coz you're the organizer supreme!

Wed 25k hilly LSR (2 hours)

If I am to do an Ultra, I guess I should start doing some distance training:) Headed out along a windy Annagh with the intention of doing 20k, but I felt pretty good on the return, so took a turn up the hill, to bring me the long way home. Not much food on board today, so I was keeping an eye on how I felt towards the end. The pace was easy enough: I can go all day at this rate. Coming towards home, I did a quick NCT and passed. Could have kept on going all right, and with a bit of grub, could have done the loop again.

Legs, knees, all felt fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You should do the WW Ultra, its a decent into to the hills, for road runners. I'll be honest with you though, I've ran that route too often (and turned to such a terrain snob that its a road run for me). Actually, given where you are in training, the 25k Trail race might suit you better?

I'm meant to be doing Donadea next month :eek: Depending on what I decide with the Rotterdam marathon I might give WW trail a shot. I'm hoping to make it to the IMRA opener - would love to do Annagh to see if it's all you guys make it out to be but Enniscorthy 10k will probably be a goal race. Bummer that they're the same day. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement