Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it Now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

^From the horse's mouth, as they say. I think about you a lot when I'm running (Oh, Krusty ;)), about how disiplined you were when you were injured this Summer. I know it killed you having to pull out of our WW relay team, but your training is great now, and you're reaping the benefits of a slow comeback. Every time I want to go faster, I remind myself that it's a slow process, that a moments stupidity could set me back months.

So tonight I got out for a great "after the rain" muckfest around the local forest. Fresh air, soft mud underfoot, the evening at an end: best 5k I've ran in a while. I even threw in a few easy hills, climbing with my good leg. Slow as you like coming down them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

nothing much has changed there then :D

Even after yesterdays' mapreading walk, I still managed to get myself lost in todays' Nav Challenge! I'm pretty embaressed about that tbh.
    Cycled about 25k out to the start, figuring I'd gain Enduro-like superpowers and win the race. Sadly, things don't work that way! Managed to get lost on top of the Aughnavannagh/Lybach ridge, and ran way too far, overshooting by a peak and almost a valley. In my defence, it was a thick rainy cloud up there, and there was no "features" as such to go by. However, this didn't seem to bother anyone else, so I'm just confused by my inability. On the plus side, I used compass and map to successfully navigate my way back, and was a lot more confident in mapreading after yesterdays course. The NC challenge today was (for me) an exercise in practice, so I'm happy enough to have salvaged something. Saw dunebuggy and slogger there, SJ had a good run to finish 3rd I think. He had time to go home, shower, devour a fish'n'chip supper, and still drove back out to give me and my bike a lift home. Is there no end to his infernal decency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Were you thumbing the map? Did you count your strides? :D
    I would have failed to find the start, and would've arrived in my slippers.

Were you thumbing the map? Did you count your strides? :D
    On the strides point, it would have been useful. I grossly underestimated the distance I had covered, and wasn't wearing a Garmin that might have underlined the distance. On the plus side, once I knew I was lost for sure, I used yesterday's course pointers to successfully get back on track, and moving from A to B in a thick cloud was good practice.
    I would have failed to find the start, and would've arrived in my slippers.
    ...and you still would have beat me! I was out there for over four and a half hours!:eek:

• Advertisement

nearly at the damned 1,000 miles though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats DP, about time in fairness :D if like me the last 100 were the worst and you think you'll never get there and your wondering why you care so much about finishing :D
    Now that it's out of the way you can concentrate on the real training without the worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Congrates on reaching the Big G. One race I just couldn't match you for.

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats DP, about time in fairness :D if like me the last 100 were the worst and you think you'll never get there and your wondering why you care so much about finishing :D
    Now that it's out of the way you can concentrate on the real training without the worry.

Yeah, considering I was at one point a few good weeks away from a top 10 spot, just shows how backwards my training has gone. I had a great 3 miler to finish, down by the river trail I first started using three years ago, when I first got back into running. It was a glorious late summers day, my five year old daughter was clearing the path ahead of me on her bike, all was well with the world as I hit 1000!:D

Thankfully, this injury seems to be at an end, in that its less and less sore as the days go by. I'll start a proper block of training once I'm back on my feet proper.
    Congrates on reaching the Big G. One race I just couldn't match you for.

Cheers! You'd have been there long ago but for your own injury. You're flying now though, best of luck in Berlin.

And I fully intend this to be the start of a long sequence of victories;)

Nice one. Touch wood thats the back of that injury and you can get back to enjoying this running lark. Meet up with you for a run soon hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done on the 1000miler....daddy tough love!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the big 1k. How's the leg? What's next on the agenda - back to the hills?

Decided to start a new training log, with a goal of the Wicklow Way Ultra in late March, followed by the Limerick Marathon about a month later. I should be able for some of the IMRA races scattered through the year, although the focus would be on the longer, weekend runs of the LC. This log will be less verbose and less cocky than my previous one (ie. no self-motivational "sub-3 I'm gonna DO IT!" stuff that comes back to bite me in the ass:))

Since Mount Leinster way back in August, I've been unable to run much, and any time I did, my heel would get sore again very quick. Mountain Biking has seen me through these lean times, and I have been biking about 60-70miles a week, over some hilly offroad stuff, so the endurance fitness is still there. I can run now, and it seems for as long as I like, but at the sacrifice of pace. The plan is to build up to about 35miles a week running at Xmas, and hit into a proper marathon plan then.

Thurs 26 Nov 09

Cycled three miles to the start of a trail on Annagh Hill, then hit the ground running. Some hilly climbs from the start, and I took them very handy, as I was tentative about my heel area (it's still sore: I wake up limping every morning, but stretching seems to loosen it early on in the day). Went up higher, and was rewarded with some stunning views NorthWest across Wicklow. Came down (very slowly) through trees along a trail that was now a stream, and finished off the loop to make about 8miles. No idea of pace, but it was easy all around, and I could have gone on at that pace all day. 3mile cycle home, and the ankle feels better than it has in ages. Expecting some soreness tomorrow though, if so, no run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

best of luck with the training and the new log

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Welcome back DNHOP, looking forward to following the trills & spills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Good man. Hope it works out for you.

Good man. Hope it works out for you.

PositiveNegativ...? Lives in Wicklow...? Gotcha!;)
    Welcome to boards, might bump into you out there.

..Limerick Marathon ...
    ??

Nice to have you back! Looking forward to hitting the trails. Figuring on doing some Wicklow way sections over the Christmas break. Might work as a good foundation for both our training plans come the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck donothoponpop...

??

http://greatlimerickrun.com/ May 2nd 2010. Ya know ya want ta, amadeus has a great big balloon that he'll lend you for the day, you can pace me.
    Nice to have you back! Looking forward to hitting the trails. Figuring on doing some Wicklow way sections over the Christmas break. Might work as a good foundation for both our training plans come the new year.

That nice, Kiwi chappie is organizing a WW run Glendalough-Marlay Park (circa 52k I think) on Sat 19 Dec, leaving at 1 pm. Drinks after. I intend either running some, or biking all of it, there should be a few other IMRA heads doing it too, if you're interested.

• Advertisement

http://greatlimerickrun.com/ May 2nd 2010. Ya know ya want ta, amadeus has a great big balloon that he'll lend you for the day, you can pace me.

Cool! Its hard to keep up with all these new races emerging.

That nice, Kiwi chappie is organizing a WW run Glendalough-Marlay Park (circa 52k I think) on Sat 19 Dec, leaving at 1 pm. Drinks after. I intend either running some, or biking all of it, there should be a few other IMRA heads doing it too, if you're interested.

:D. Some of those guys would probably race it just for the craic.
    Hmmm. Now if it was Marlay to Glendalough I'd definitely be interested in doing about 25k of it. That, or start 'souther' and finish at Glenmalure, for a priceless pint.

Aware 10k the previous Saturday for a warm up...

Woot! The other mountain man is back! More verboseness and cockiness wanted though!

More verboseness and cockiness wanted though!

Believe me, that's not something you should wish for;)

27 Nov

Recovery, 2 miles cycle, 2.5 mile run, 2 mile cycle. (Additional 7 miles bike during the day)
    No big deal distance wise, but a huge deal for training. 2 days running in a row. I woke up with an (expected) painful limp, but through some stretching and bike work, the pain went, which meant I felt great on this run. The temptation is to go for broke in my schedule, but I'll give it at least 3 weeks before deciding I'm back in business. Starting to believe I'm a runner again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Really enjoyed your last log, looking forward to more of the same donothoponpop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

best of luck with your log

Sun 29 Nov

7 Miles, deacentish pace.

Lashing raining and windy here, so I took off for the nearby Tomnafinnogue forest, and splashed along the puddles beside the swollen river. This run felt great, very cold at first, but I felt really alive as it went on. Kept at a decent pace, nothing crazy, just testing the ankle. Saw a couple of other runners out there, we were alone otherwise, and nodded in smiling comprehension as we passed. Brilliant to get a run like this in at an early stage in my recovery, it took twenty years off me.

Nice one. We were virtual running partners today in those conditions. Elemental stuff.

Mon 30th Nov

Lets go for a four mile run, sha-wadda-wa, un-der the moon of love, sha-wadda-wa.

Can't beat headtorch running with a full moon. I'm starting to believe this injury lark is behind me. Just as well. I'm a cranky fecker at the best of times, never mind four months no running. Will keep the recovery easy for another couple of weeks before moving the training up a notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Mon 30th Nov

Lets go for a four mile run, sha-wadda-wa, un-der the moon of love, sha-wadda-wa.

Showing your age a bit there!

Good to see you back and running again, fingers crossed it goes as well as it should

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Welcome back Donothoponpop, ye ole mountain rothair is handy alright when those niggles knock. Have fun with the new log and I may meet you and --amadeus-- for a pint on May 2nd

Deffo be on for a post-marathon pint MCOS- Limerick always had a great selection of pubs. Is the White House on O'Connell St still open?

2 Dec 2009 6 mile run

Two mile cycle to the forest, six mile run, two mile cycle back. 9 miles additional bike in the day. Felt the knees at me a bit towards the end of this run, to be expected I suppose at this stage of the game. Muscles which felt great a few days ago are starting to complain a bit. I'll keep this in mind, and stay easy for the next couple of weeks. Last thing I want now is an ITB or somesuch.

Dec 3, 6 mile hill run

Wasn't too sure if I was going to run this proposed night time excursion up Djouce or not, but at the last minute, I gave up gazing out the window at the magnificent full moon, and headed off in my car to meet SJ, Beepbeep, and 10 others, who set off up the freezing track. The headlit group soon paired into bunches depending on ability, and I decided against keeping up with the leading group, as I was don't want to stress my ankle at this early stage. Fog was thick and blinding from an early stage, and we would remain thus enveloped throughout the run, more's the pity. In retrospect i would have had a clearer view from the top of one of my local mountains, but these are the breaks, and in any case I need all the practice running in cloud as I can get!

Nothing much to do except play "follow-my-leader" on the boardwalk, and head up the frozen ground toward the summit. At the turn-around, I stayed last and turned off my torch for a few seconds, to savour the experience on the top. There was a surprising amount of moonlight softly illuminating the thick cloud. Took it easy all the way back down, and we were rewarded on the final stretch with no cloud, a view across the valley, so I turned off the lights and enjoyed this mootlit stretch for home.

Driving back, I left the carpark just before SJ's vehicle, and so managed to stay ahead of him most of the route home. When I signalled him to overtake me just before Aughrim, he did so, and took off with all the speed of a hardened commuter. I noticed however, that this blocking tactic had served me well, and is one I intend to employ during races in next years M40 battles:)

Wed 9 Dec 3.5 mile tempo

A couple of my old army buddies came to stay over the past few days- first was Major Hangover, who was here three days, but no sooner had he left than General Sloth took his place.

Thankfully he's gone now too, so this morning I geared myself up for an attempt at the long-standing Tinahely Railway Walk bridge-to-bridge record. It's about 3.5 miles there and back, and I set off at a pace that, while certainly faster than I've gone recently, would have been embarrassingly slow this time last year. No matter, that's all relative, and soon I was panting along at a velocity that felt hard. Nice and mucky, and flat as you like, I hit the turn in 11:40, and kept up that pace to return for a total of 23:17. I've a feeling this "record" will soon be under 20 mins, but it won't be me doing it for a while. For the moment its enough to finish a "fast" run with no significant aches or pains.

Thurs 10 Dec 4 miles 7:30 pace

I got a pair of Inov8 Mudclaws passed onto me, they didn't fit the owner well. Having had a couple of the most experienced hillrunners try them out before they came to me, I figured I could at least bottle the distilled sweat from the uppers, and sell it at IMRA races. In the event, I gave them a shot on the local muddy trail.

From the get go they were uncomfortable around the heel area, as if they are too low beneath the tendon, and I doubt they'd last too long without being sucked into a bog, but the traction is amazing. Running up a very muddy trail, I didn't slip once. As anyone who has run a race in regular runners knows, you lose a huge percentage of performance when your footfalls are slipping, so these shoes would be great to counter that. I'll give them a few more goes across country, to see if they will somehow "bed in" more with my feet, but unfortunately they just seem to be a dud pair on the uppers.

Run itself was good though, stretching muscles tired after yesterday's fast-ish run. Brought the Garmin to check pace, as I was curious as to where I stand after the layoff. In the event, I figured I was running about 8:30 mile/min pace, so was happy to find out it was actually 7:30.

Sat 12 Dec 6 miles easy

There's a few reasons why I run. Much as I'd like to say it's for PB's, or Olympic glory, or such, in all honesty, its for the sheer madness of the act. It somehow seemed very "normal" for me to spend most of my twenties and thirties in the sweet embrace of booze and ciggies, so that any weekend effort that got me off the sofa was strange in itself. The upshot is that every single run is a rebirth, and a slap in the face to the "old me".

Which is why I appreciated Woddle's run today , it has all the elements of slapstick insanity that keeps these logs ticking over, well done that man!

I was lucky enough to get 6 miles in myself, running with the kids as they cycled the forest paths. The race for the finish was epic in itself, a pink Barbie bike with go-faster tassles on the handlebars came first, and a laughing seven-year-old just pipped his dad by splashing him with muddy water on the line.

• Advertisement

Sun 13 Dec 3 miles easy

Tue 15 Dec 9 miles hilly

Cycled three miles to start of Annagh Hill trail, and set of for a seven mile run. Rain was falling from the start, but the views were still there to be seen, and made for a very pleasant run. No real aches or pains, so I decided to test the pace a little, and towards the end added in an extra two mile hilly loop, to give the leg a first taste of real hard climbing in ages. Three miles cycle home.

No ill effects at all now, so it seems this base/recovery training is working out well. I had hoped to be fit enough to join some friends on a long Wicklow Way run this weekend, but I'll err on the side of caution, and wait another couple of weeks before seeing trying out any long hilly stuff. So far so good though.

Wed 16 Dec 3.5 mile tempo.

Cycled up to the Tinahely Railway Walk for another bash at lowering the record. Legs felt heavy after yesterdays climbs, but a good heavy, like I was having aches where they should be instead of the ankle. Hit the turn in 11:43, and must have picked up the pace unbeknownst, to finish under the bridge in 23:06. Faster than last week, but still slower than 40min 10k pace, for a 5.5k run. Early days.:)

Fri 18 Dec 8 miles hilly

Three mile cycle to Annagh hill, then onto the trails, which were covered with a light dusting of snow, for the first time this winter. It reminded me of all the long training runs I did last winter on these hills, through thicker and heavier snow, great days! Put a fair bit of climbing into todays run, which meant I had brilliant views over to Lucnacoille, which was covered in snow, and reflecting the low winter sun off its hulk. Lots of snare-drum crunches from my footsteps, mixed with bass cracks when breaking freshly iced puddles. Legs felt good at the end, another week of this base training and I'll hit into a proper schedule. Three mile slipppping on the bike coming back.

Sat 19 Dec

Had I been fit, I'd have joined a few guys who were running their annual 54k from Glendalough to Marlay park today, across lots of hilly snowy trails. I can only imagine the views... next year hopefully.

That I should have been experiencing that run, instead of dragging tired and cranky kids around town Xmas shopping, played heavily on my mind, and I just managed to grab the last of the day's light by getting in a frozen 4 mile forest run, which the legs were crying out for, and the spirit needed even more. Nice steady pace, everything seemed to motor along as it should, and was one of those runs that you felt could go on and on.

(If not quite for 54k!)

Sun 20 Dec 3 miles easy

Nice and easy 3 mile run along by the local river trail, chasing my kids on their bikes. I'm really happy with the way this week has gone, over 30 miles done (along with about 30 on the bike), no real pains or anything, and the muscles feel good and ready to bump things up a bit.

Came back from the run to find out my cherished "Bridge-to-bridge and back" record has been lowered, to 22:04, and a new ladies mark set at 27:10. A late objection that they had run the course in an illegal reverse fashion, was dismissed by the judges. Rules say the start can be either Tinahely or Tomnafinnogue bridge, so, pending results of the mandatory doping tests, I say "well done those runners".:D

• Advertisement

Sounds like you're right back up there, after a good'n'proper recovery. Look forward to seeing you on those IMRA hills in the new year. Your next target should be snatch the Tinahely Railway ashes back asap!

Tue 22 Dec4 miles steady

^The "ashes" will have to wait another week or so, I'm taking things handy this one. I'm under no illusions, the guy who took them from me is also coming back from injury, but in his case he fell from a far higher cliff than I. Still, no harm in a bit of healthy competition, and if I can get by kicking a chap when he's down, then bring it on!

Todays run was preceded by a bout in a Santa suit, handing out prezzies at the local kids school. Which was preceded in turn by a couple of 10am G'n'T's, all to help put me in the Xmas spirit. So I was wondering how I'd fare for my afternoon run :). In fact, it went quite well, a swift four miles along the frozen forest tundra, I had to keep the brakes on all the way, and didn't want this one to stop. However, after a couple of good weeks back from injury, the muscles are a little tight, and I'm going to have a bit of a "step-back" week, just to be sure to be sure.

Thurs Dec 2412 miles easy

Crisis is the household today, stores closing for Xmas, wifey realizes we've no Baileys in the house, roads far too icy to risk driving on... what to do? Gallantly, I stepped up and offered to run four miles into the nearest town to pick up said supplies. "But darling" she suggested, "I know you'd prefer to stay here and help me tidy the house and watch the two kids who are bouncing off the ceiling waiting for Santa...". However, I always put my wife's drinking preference first, so bravely falling upon my sword, I took off with backpack on, and hit the frozen paths and trails to the offy.

Nearly went over loads of times, but managed to get into town and pick up the supplies. Running back was difficult with the extra load, but I persevered; indeed, persevering so much that I added a few extra miles onto the way back, over hills and vale, and saw a spectacular lobster pink sunset over Coolattin estate. No speed records were threatened on this run, owing to the ice, and I arrived home safe and sound, after twelve good miles, to a hunter-gatherer embrace from my thirsty partner.

What a hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Baileys in the house
    No speed records were threatened on this run, owing to the ice

At least if you got waylaid you had the makings of a good party!

You sir, are a hero among men. A gallant tale that will be recounted throughout the land, every time a Bailey's glass runs dry of it's creamy nectar. I've heard rumour of an annual race, called the offey-closey-racey. Great to see you hitting the big miles again.

Sat 26 Dec 8 miles steady

That's the first Stephen's Day since 1985 I haven't woke up with a raging hangover, good for me. Got out for 2 mile slippy roads, 4 miles frosty trail, 2 miles slippy roads. I brought my Ipod, and listened to Depeche Mode for the first time in 20 years. Boy, was I innocent in my teens, all their songs are about S&M, never quite understood what they were going on about at the time. Between wearing my new Nike crossdressing tights for this run, and an hour of "Master and Servant" etc., the missus may be in for an surprising evening later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Thurs Dec 2412 miles easy

Crisis is the household today, stores closing for Xmas, wifey realizes we've no Baileys in the house... so bravely falling upon my sword, I took off with backpack on, and hit the frozen paths and trails to the offy.
    ..arrived home safe and sound, after twelve good miles, to a hunter-gatherer embrace from my thirsty partner.

What a hero!

As a youngster I was always told by my coach that every run should have a purpose. You have demonstrated both understanding and mastery of this training theory. Bravo.

28 Dec 5 miles steady

Got out for the last of the evening light, intended doing 3 miles, wound up with a nice 5 miler with a few hills. I must be getting stronger if 5 miles feels as easy as this. Another week or so until a proper training plan starts.

29 Dec 7 mile hill run

Cycled 8 miles against lashing rain to Annacurra, for a recce of the new and improved race route, with a couple of Boardies and a couple of others. Great to have company and chat throughout, the pace wasn't too hard, it was pretty icy underfoot in places, and a snow flurry at the top. The route has been improved from last years course, and has less trail, more Coillte obstacle course. Took it nice and handy whenever the gradient went crazy, and the heel didn't complain too much. Couple of swift ales beside a roaring pub fire after, more good chat, and I almost took up the offer of a lift home... but instead put on a hat and went out again for the cycle home, drenched by the time I got back, but a nice feeling from a good days training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Jealous. Sounds like a good afternoon. Maybe I should have made the effort to get up the hills...although, would have been driving so couldn't have participated in the swift ales element.

• Advertisement
Advertisement