Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Day Trip - What to do?

Options
  • 26-11-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

Right, my gf and myself are randomly taking a day trip to Cork via train on Friday week and was just wondering if there's anything good to do there for a few hours?

Coffee places, restaurants, museums.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello

Well i hope ye get a dryish day if ye are walking around..

The City Gaol is nice to visit

Scozzis is a lovery little restaurant kinda off Oliver plunkett street or if you find BThomes ( i still call it cash'es) head toward the mcdonalds and it is just passed that down the side street on your left.

mm where else i shall think

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hello

Well i hope ye get a dryish day if ye are walking around..

The City Gaol is nice to visit

Scozzis is a lovery little restaurant kinda off Oliver plunkett street or if you find BThomes ( i still call it cash'es) head toward the mcdonalds and it is just passed that down the side street on your left.

mm where else i shall think

Appreciate that milly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

That_Guy wrote: »
    Right, my gf and myself are randomly taking a day trip to Cork via train on Friday week and was just wondering if there's anything good to do there for a few hours?

Coffee places, restaurants, museums.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Crawford Museum is right in town and worth a visit.
    Cork Coffee Roasters on Bridge street is a nice place for a coffee - right beside the origional vibes and scribes bookstore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Go down to Leisure Plex with the bois, the mangla is also a clas place to visit...NOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

shnaek wrote: »
    Crawford Museum is right in town and worth a visit.
    Cork Coffee Roasters on Bridge street is a nice place for a coffee - right beside the origional vibes and scribes bookstore.

Beat me to it! Definitely go to Cork Coffee Roasters for your coffee. You could spend the day there to be honest. I do it often enough.

But if you'd rather see a little more of Cork, it depends what you want to do. If the whole touristy thing appeals to you then go to the Gaol/Blarney castle/Shandon etc..

If you're looking for a few music purchases, try Plugd Records on Washington Street for all your alternative needs. Cute gallery above it too.

The English Market is worth a stroll around.

The museum in Fitzgerald's Park ain't bad and entry is free! If the weather is good you could go for a stroll around the park too. Place is feckin' savage in the summer for sitting out on the grass by the river bank..

Restaurant recommendations would depend on whether you're going for lunch or dinner? Casual or something fancier?

I love walking around Cork in the evening when it's dark and the street lights are on and there's a really good atmosphere.

The new Topshop/Topman will also be open! Worth a look I would reckon...

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. Will definitely have a look at that museum and try that coffee place.

Just out of curiosity. As we're getting the train down are these places in the vicinity of the train station or will it require a little bit of travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Fota?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Cheers for that. Will definitely have a look at that museum and try that coffee place.

Just out of curiosity. As we're getting the train down are these places in the vicinity of the train station or will it require a little bit of travelling?
    easy 10minute stroll to Bridge Street from Train Station along McCurtain Street, turn left leaving train station, heading against the traffic on the one way street. Most other places mentioned are 10 minutes strolling, or more if u stop and shop on Patricks street, from Bridge Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Most are in town. The gaol is a busride though.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Here, the Bishop Lucy Park with the christmas lights turned on is a magical place to be once it gets dark. It's down near the library on grand parade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Apparently the Gondola trips are very popular at the min

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/440602025_beee112b64_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

O'Connels Choclate shop off Paul street has the nicest hot choclate I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Do Shandon, it's well worth it and not to far from the city centre. Great view of the city, its normally not that busy. (only a 5euro)
    The Crawford Art Museum is pretty good, just next to the Opera house.(free as well)
    Both are close to each other and the train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

St Finnbarrs Cathedral is well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Scoozies food is so so nice! they make absoultely gorgeous burgers but all the food is nice! and its actually really reasonable.. lovely little place..:)

Thanks a lot guys for the replies.

We'll probably do Shandon, Bishop Lucy Park, The chocolate shop place and the gondola ride..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

nursemar88 wrote: »
    Scoozies food is so so nice! they make absoultely gorgeous burgers but all the food is nice! and its actually really reasonable.. lovely little place..:)

+ 1

As a Dub who pop's down to Cork every couple of months, I'd strongly recommend Scoozies too - best call round during the day and making a booking, it gets very popular (a good sign), Fota might be a bit cold this time of the year, limited day light! But try and get the English Market in - you won't be disapointed

Ah we'll have to spend the weekend there now to have a look at all these things.

quick question... what THAT GUY are you?? if you dont understand this question then just ignore me!! :)

nursemar88 wrote: »
    quick question... what THAT GUY are you?? if you dont understand this question then just ignore me!! :)

Don't you mean which That Guy am I? Well..... em I'm That Guy? Make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

I think it's a case of what That_Guy said!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

The art gallery in UCC has better exhibitions than Crawford, tbh. Plus the college is very pretty.

Damn.

Don't you mean which That Guy am I? Well..... em I'm That Guy? Make sense?
    Nevermind.... there is a morning breakfast radio show in Pheonix, Arizona where they do a segment called 'that guy' where it basically takes the piss out of different kind of that guys, whom everyone can relate to coz they have met that type of that guy in their life at some stage or another...eg that guy whos gay but refuses to admit it or that guy who wears jeans to a wedding...Anyway its very funny! just thought that might have been how you got your name...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

Fota is great but you would have to go early. You can get a train right to the gate from Cork train station. Might be a bit tiring if you are only doing a dy trip though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Try this website
    > Click me....

Advertisement