Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend me a hat for hack/Hunt

Options
  • 26-11-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My old hat is Dublin tradational style velvet with ribbon and the back goes right down to the end of your head where it top of neck - hope it make sense.
    Need to upgrade.
    Some of the new styles hat are shorter at the back of head I just feel safe in these.
    So far I like the Champion Classic and the Charles Owen.
    Prices €120-€150.
    Is it just me but did the price of hat gone up too much.
    My last was about €60.

But if anyone got a new hat recently, let me what you got, why you like it and how much.
    Would you buy online as some seem cheaper than shop and where best?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I got a helmet a few years ago. It's the EN 3184 model, which is recommended for racing. I honestly can't remember what I paid for it. It fits perfectly, and comes down nicely on the back of my head - not too low so as to hinder movement.

If you're going to buy a new hat, make sure that it has an approved safety/kite mark and is permitted for use in competition over here. The above helmet number is approved for x-country, as is PAS 015, so if you're planning to do that in the future I'd recommend either of the above. A tack shop will advise you on the size, hence my recommendation not to purchase online. You won't know until it arrives whether or not it fits properly, plus you may not be sure that is has the approved safety standard (remember, not every country's standards are accepted here).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yup, much better to buy in a tack shop. A helmet is one thing I'd never buy online.

Its important to note that they should be replaced after getting a bang (be that from a fall off a horse or some other way) as the internal foam which does the shock absorption is damaged on an impact. Failing that you should get a new one every two years.

The brain injury ads on television right now have reminded me how important it is to look after your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Don't get one with a fixed peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Oh i was not planning to buy online the idea of the hat rattling around in a box in the post no way!
    just notice the price difference.
    My local stock the Champion and Charles Owen the top stuff, but none was in my size to try on but i did try the size up and size down to get a feel of the champion hat.
    I didnt try on the Charles Owen they were jockey style and Im used to the trad classic style.

Doctor evil :
    [Don't get one with a fixed peak/QUOTE]
    - why is that?
    I thought the fixed peak is there to protect your face/nose/teeth if you fell on your face, the peak block the impact.

Or is the Jockey style helmet better without peak? Why?
    I be using it mostly for hunting and hacking so love feedback on the Champion + Charles Owen.
    Thanks for the replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Doctor evil :
    [Don't get one with a fixed peak/QUOTE]
    - why is that?
    I thought the fixed peak is there to protect your face/nose/teeth if you fell on your face, the peak block the impact.

The peak will more than likely increase any injuries compared to a skull hat. Picture a fall where the fixed peak hits the ground, several possible outcomes including direct force on the forehead, the hat is forced upwards increasing stress on the chin strap, stress on neck muscles/ligaments when the head is forced back.

Jockeys and cross country riders use skull caps because of the increased risk of fixed peaks. Some peaks are flexible and designed to collapse when a significant force is applied, such as a fall.

• Advertisement

A peaked cap is the 'correct' dress for hunting (with the ribbons sewn or tucked up if you're not a member of staff) and is much tidier for showing purposes. If you're planning to do one or both of these and can only afford to buy one hat, then go with the peaked cap (so long as it has the correct number) if you're happy to do so.

A peaked cap, unless it has quite a flexible peak, can cause more damage in a fall, as outlined above, but is better than having a defective/damaged hat.

I've used a 'jockey' style helmet for as long as I can remember because I compete at a lot of cross country events and because I race. When I show, I have to borrow a peaked cap (luckily I know someone who has the same size head!), because a helmet doesn't look the tidiest in a show ring.... When I can afford it, I'm going to invest in a nice new peaked cap.

In the end of the day, it's your decision as to whether you buy a helmet or a peaked cap. Both have their pros and cons, not to mention their uses, so it's up to you to decide which one suits your purposes best.

Maybe have a chat to someone in a tackshop who knows what they're talking about and who can advise you as to what's best for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You can get a hat cover in different colours and materials with a flexible peak

Thanks for all the replies.
    Best thing to do is go to a superstore that stock most brands and try them on and see how i go from there.
    Good point about the peaked hat.
    Gave me second thoughts as I just want a hat its for hunt/charity cross county and hacks.
    Search internet saw that there a hat cover to make a jockey skull look like a peak hat. Hmmm

Where the best superstores? Holmstead?

Holmstead do have quite a large selection of helmets/hats, but I've found them not to be great on the fitting size of things. Berneys would also have a decent range of hats/helmets and are very good at fitting hats and giving advice as to what would suit you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

berney's are great, really friendly and helpfull, holmestead would not impress me with their attitude, the TRI superstore has their good days and bad days, but are very good at fitting helmets!

• Advertisement

I looked at the TRI website but cant find what hats they stock?
    I will email and find out.

Advertisement