Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacobs to take retailers to court for importing from UK

Options
  • 26-11-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

The biscuit manufacturer Jacobs is to take unnamed Irish retailers to court in order to stop them from importing their products from cheaper UK rivals.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/1126/jacob.html

Apparently McVities in the UK owns the rights to manufacture and distribute the likes of Fig Rolls in the UK but Irish retailers are bypassing Jacobs in Ireland and importing them from McVities at lower prices.

The woman from RGDATA does have a point about the free flow of goods within the EU. I presume Tesco is one of the main offenders, but it does say a number of Irish retailers.

Can they stop them? It says they stopped a Donegal retailer from doing the same thing. Now they are taking on the larger chains I presume.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Let's hope Jacobs lose this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Wouldn't that be grossly illegal? (the trying to stop them, not the importing from outside Ireland?)

Free market and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I hope they lose, what a load of crap if you ask me. If they do win, what next, customs coming in and checking deliveries to all retailers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Let's hope Jacobs lose this.

As a matter of interest why is that? You do know they still create, directly and indirectly a lot of employment in an area of Dublin that has a huge amount of unemployed people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i would have thought that under EU law the distributor has no right to do this, but as they hav already won a case in donegal, my guess is theres something i dont know about in eu law (suprise, suprise seeing as i know nothing about EU law) just thought we hada free market - obviousley not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Unfortunately, I suspect that they'll win it. The retailers in question will likely be found to be in breach of Jacobs' trade marks for these products. It's got nothing to do with the import of the item which is legal, but instead the rights that are in place for those trade marks in this jurisdiction.

It just gets more stupid by the day in this country, are we part of the EU, did we really vote yes to Lisbon :confused:

Will I be taken to court next week as I do my grocery shopping in the north :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You can import the product but not label it as Jacobs. The same would apply to the likes of Tayto, the superior northern Tayto could probably not be sold in the 26 counties as Tayto, although if they called it something else there would probably not be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

This take the biscuit.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It just gets more stupid by the day in this country, are we part of the EU, did we really vote yes to Lisbon :confused:
    It's got nothing to do with Lisbon. It's a trademark dispute. Any business that has the rights to a trademark in Ireland can take legal action to protect it against any business that violates it within Ireland. I can't just turn around tomorrow and start selling my own 'Jaffa Cakes' here. If the name on the packet was different it wouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

schween wrote: »
    The woman from RGDATA ....

Was the same women who was on the Radio last Tuesday giving out about shoppers travelling to the North when they could stay in the Republic and 'support local retailers'.

So basicallly it okay from them to import product from the UK and sell it on to us but it immoral for us to go to the UK ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Far as I am aware Jacobs don't produce in ireland any more. Think their Tallaght plant is long closed and looked that way last time I passed it.
    So this is hypocrisy and protectionism if true.

I can't just turn around tomorrow and start selling my own 'Jaffa Cakes' here. If the name on the packet was different it wouldn't be an issue.

You can actually 'Jaffa Cake' isn't a protected name :D

There are Cadburys, McVitties, Dunnes, Tesco etc etc Jaffa Cakes

It's got nothing to do with Lisbon. It's a trademark dispute. Any business that has the rights to a trademark in Ireland can take legal action to protect it against any business that violates it within Ireland.
    Well when they're done with them they may take all the other retailers here to court for going up north, buying stock and splitting "not for resale" multi-packs and selling it here.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Far as I am aware Jacobs don't produce in ireland any more. Think their Tallaght plant is long closed and looked that way last time I passed it.
    So this is hypocrisy and protectionism if true.

They are still producing in Ireland. And have a Sales team, marketing team, distribution network etc etc

Onkle wrote: »
    You can actually 'Jaffa Cake' isn't a protected name :D
    Arse. It's inevitable that I'd end up picking an unprotected name as an example. I hate bloody Jaffa Cakes too...
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    Well when they're done with them they may take all the other retailers here to court for going up north, buying stock and splitting "not for resale" multi-packs and selling it here.
    I'd suspect that the northern wholesalers and UK manufacturers would need to become involved for that to go work, and they know what side their bread is buttered on at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

As a matter of interest why is that? You do know they still create, directly and indirectly a lot of employment in an area of Dublin that has a huge amount of unemployed people

Lets Face it.Jacobs/Fruitfield decided to save money by taking their manufacturing side of the business out of Ireland for the purpose of saving on costs.What is happening at the moment is a similar cost saving exercise,the only difference being that the consumer is saving.Where lies the problem?

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Where lies the problem?

The loss of even more jobs. I'd happily pay a few cents more for my fig rolls if it means saving Irish jobs

The loss of even more jobs. I'd happily pay a few cents more for my fig rolls if it means saving Irish jobs
    Considering Ireland exports a lot more than it imports, we can be thankful that our foreign trade partners don't have the same attitude as you. Otherwise say goodbye to a lot more Irish jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

schween wrote: »
    The biscuit manufacturer Jacobs is to take unnamed Irish retailers to court in order to stop them from importing their products from cheaper UK rivals.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/1126/jacob.html

Apparently McVities in the UK owns the rights to manufacture and distribute the likes of Fig Rolls in the UK but Irish retailers are bypassing Jacobs in Ireland and importing them from McVities at lower prices.

The woman from RGDATA does have a point about the free flow of goods within the EU. I presume Tesco is one of the main offenders, but it does say a number of Irish retailers.

Can they stop them? It says they stopped a Donegal retailer from doing the same thing. Now they are taking on the larger chains I presume.

i refuse to shop in tesco, its one certain way to undermine irish producers & employment of irish workers in irish companies trying to sell to supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

bamboozle wrote: »
    i refuse to shop in tesco, its one certain way to undermine irish producers & employment of irish workers in irish companies trying to sell to supermarkets.
    i wonder what would happen if people in other countries refused to buy irish ,because cheap goods effects their jobs,ireland is in the EU and has been taking money from other EU taxpayers from day one,get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

Thsi has been happening for years. I remember, in the 1980's, a distributor in Dublin sending a VAN to a cash and carry in Newry to buy Jacobs Cream crackers there, as it was cheaper to do that than to buy direct from Jacobs in Dublin. From memory, I think the cream crackers in Newry were made in Dublin. He then sold the cream crackers to Irish Supermarkets and voluntary chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

getz wrote: »
    i wonder what would happen if people in other countries refused to buy irish ,because cheap goods effects their jobs,ireland is in the EU and has been taking money from other EU taxpayers from day one,get over it

i have no problem with cheap goods from other countries, my problem is with large supermarket chains such as Tesco taking advantage of weak laws here that see them presenting goods as being irish - a prime example is the 'irish produce' sticker they put on the thousands of chicken breasts they import from Thailand and have packaged here, they do this with many goods trying to pass them off as being irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jacobs may have rights here. There was a case a few years ago when a supermarket was selling designer clothes at a discount. The trademark / patent holder felt this was derogatory to their prodcut and won against the retailer.

Of course, I can but Jacobs Fig Rolls 200g + 100% free, i.e. 400g for €1 sometimes. Other times the 200g is more than €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

bamboozle wrote: »
    i have no problem with cheap goods from other countries, my problem is with large supermarket chains such as Tesco taking advantage of weak laws here that see them presenting goods as being irish - a prime example is the 'irish produce' sticker they put on the thousands of chicken breasts they import from Thailand and have packaged here, they do this with many goods trying to pass them off as being irish.
    i think that is because they may have been packaged in ireland,all supermarkets do this kind of thing,look a little closer,all within the law,buy your stuff from aldi,whops thats no good either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Is this the same reason we have Mighty Munch and Monster Munch here?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

They are still producing in Ireland.

What are they still producing in Ireland?
    And in which plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

If I recall Coke had an issue like this in japan back in the 1980s where the wholesale supply chain had about 7 different levels taking a bite from the cherry with all goods - hence the very expensive cost of retail goods. some retailers foudn it cheaper to bring a 40 foot container of coke in from US West coast than buy Coke through the domestic supply chain. Coke Japan tried to fight it and i think they lost.

All the manufacturer Jacobs is doing is once again highlighting the way irish consumers are ripped off at every level - by retailers taking much higher margins than they do the in the UK by manufacturers trying the same and of course the biggest whores of the lot in Leinster house.

It all adds up to RIP OFF IRELAND.

getz wrote: »
    i wonder what would happen if people in other countries refused to buy irish ,because cheap goods effects their jobs,t
    we would be absolutely and totally fcuked. We currently import €57bn but export €86bn. How would all our "patriotic" Irish around here like €30bn to disappear from the Irish economy next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Samson wrote: »
    What are they still producing in Ireland?
    And in which plant?

+1

Advertisement