Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeks covered in snow...

Options
  • 26-11-2009 3:42pm

...for any of you planning on making it down this weekend. Not sure if it'll last, but looks real good at the moment. Cold and sunny here, think weekend forecast okay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

snow falling on Keeper Hill in Silvermines today too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Just spent an amazing day in the reeks today! Absolutely spectacular views, clear from the top of carrauntoohil.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

heading out to the 12 bens tomorrow, so hoping tonite will bring a sprinkling of that magical white stuff to the hilltops:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

K2 wrote: »
    heading out to the 12 bens tomorrow, so hoping tonite will bring a sprinkling of that magical white stuff to the hilltops:)

Well for some! Heavy rain and strong winds on the East Coast this morning - No Mourne Mountains for me today. Can't wait for a decent spell of frosty weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

paulocon wrote: »
    Well for some! Heavy rain and strong winds on the East Coast this morning - No Mourne Mountains for me today. Can't wait for a decent spell of frosty weather!!
    Yes, I'm pretty hacked off too .. I was planning on going out yesterday to do a recce for a walk I'm leading soon and it appeared to be a glorious cold winters day for most of the day at least, but had to put it off due to having to do some work on the car. The initial forecast for Sunday wasn't too bad, so I changed my plans to do it today instead, but after last night's howling winds and lashing rain I just turned over and switched the alarm off this morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, I'm pretty hacked off too .. I was planning on going out yesterday to do a recce for a walk I'm leading soon and it appeared to be a glorious cold winters day for most of the day at least, but had to put it off due to having to do some work on the car. The initial forecast for Sunday wasn't too bad, so I changed my plans to do it today instead, but after last night's howling winds and lashing rain I just turned over and switched the alarm off this morning :)

Snap! Exactly the same as myself - had planned on doing a circuit of Kilbride yesterday morning but my wifes car is in the garage for a service and wasn't finished so I decided to do a walk in the Mournes this morning instead. Out of bed at 7 but quickly cancelled my plans on seeing the kids toys scattered across the garden due to the wind!

As they say, the mountains will still be there next week!

Made it up to Cnoc na Peasta and eastern Reeks yesterday. Great out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeh there still looked to be a fair bit of snow left up high today, not as much as saturday though, and Brandon once again was coated with sneachta back in dingle..

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

No snow in the Bens yesterday but plenty of Blue Sky and Sunshine (some frost and ice on the north facing slopes), Mweelrea hat a bit of white stuff on the very top but Kylemore Abbey looked fantastic from Knockbrack.

Plan to go up a few more times.

When does one start thinking of using crampons? Think I might have to invest - it was very tiring on Sunday. When I took my first walk over a hill last year I never thought I would get to the stage when I would plan on using crampons. How much are they and is there anything I must consider when buying them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement