Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering a UK car in Ireland and getting insured help!

• 26-11-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I’m really hoping someone can help me out on something.

I recently got a given a car by a relation in the UK to help me learn to drive. It’s an old car and had lost most of its value with the new UK scrappage scheme.

At the moment it is in my car park (private land). I still have a provisional license. I plan to put my dad on the car and have me as a named driver while he helps me learn to drive. But this is where I have the problem.

To register the car over here, I have to fill in the forms (have all the Irish and UK ones sorted) and bring it to the VRT office. Fair play, can see why they would do that. Is it possible to get insured on a car that is UK plated and neither my Dad or I are on the UK documents as owning it (these documents will be changed to my name when we go to the VRT office)? Trying to do this by the book but no one at these places (VRT, Guards station etc) have a clue.

Kind of hit a wall with this and keen to get it sorted as soon as possible. Would really appreciate any help on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

You seem to have called everyone else, why not ask your insurance company? :D
    Worst case scenario they say no, and you trailer the car to the VRO for inspection.

I've insured cars in the past with no plates at all (JDM import) long enough to get them off the dock and to the VRT office. Should be the same for UK plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If the car is over 4 years old, the VRO doesn't even want to look at your car.

You can get for example Quinn to give you insurance on a car, even though it's on UK reg. Just state, that you are importing it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

You can transfer an existing insurance policy temporarily to the UK Reg-ed car for a period of time (don't know time limit). This will allow you to drive the car to the VRO for inspection. Ask your Dad to use his policy maybe.... just make sure his own car is safe and locked up! :)

Don't know if you can kick off a new policy on UK plates; but can't see why not if you explain the situation to the insurance company. They don't care about reg numbers, VRT or tax etc..

I brought a car in from the UK last year on UK plates and drove it on my insurance policy for a few weeks. Hibernian even issued an insurance cert and disc with the UK reg on it.. when I got the IRL plate they simply re-issued the same with the new reg number...

Let us know how you get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Marlow wrote: »
    If the car is over 4 years old, the VRO doesn't even want to look at your car.

You can get for example Quinn to give you insurance on a car, even though it's on UK reg. Just state, that you are importing it.

/M

yea, if the car is under approx euro20k they don't want to see it..... forgot that...

Advertisement