Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco price increases

• 26-11-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have noticed A LOT of small price increases in Tesco recently:mad:. Also, my overall shopping bill has crept up again since the summer. Have other shoppers noticed, too? Could you include your recent observations here...maybe they'll stop sneaking up their prices then!
    Last week: MAOAM sweets from 34 to 39 cent per packet.
    houmous from 99c to €1.49

can't think of any more off hand, would have to go through my receipt. Please feel free to add yours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Why are you still shopping there, they will never learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I've been servicing Dunnes again in work and I have to say some of the prices are off the wall. Club 6pk cans 1.79 is one that springs to mind, shopping off the promotional ends in Dunnes is the way to go. The stores are much cleaner and the attitude of the staff is far superior to Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yep prices really creeping up. My local Tesco are getting rid of cheap brands and getting more expensive alternatives instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yup I've noticed this too. Prices have definitely increased. I don't notice it on individual items but once I have a full shop done I find it's considerably more expensive than it was during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Really, another thread on this ?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I've found things have crept up too...

Lemonade has gone from 49c in the summer to 79c last friday.

Vanish powder, €3.49 or thereabouts in the summer, €5.49 or thereabouts last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

snaps wrote: »
    Yep prices really creeping up. My local Tesco are getting rid of cheap brands and getting more expensive alternatives instead.

Someone who works for Tesco told me the cheaper non branded or unknown branded stuff simply did not sell for them and they had to cahnge their strategy somewhat - some of the stuff they brought in was utter muck and maybe ok for Mrs Essex girl but it seems we like our better quality food and mostly we're prepared to pay a little extra to know the food is a better quality.

As for prices changing - inflation on food is 3.4% in the UK, so UK sourced products are increasing in price. Also sterling is now in a 1.12 - 1.16 exchange whereas last summer it was 1.08 - 1.11 range.

All the bits make a difference, and all supermarkets worldwide increase prices in the run up to christmas - Tesco in Ireland aren't the only ones.

At least my 3 moggies are happy - Whiskas has stayed down in price!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

Hey Dunnes did the same about 2 weeks ago too in Galway... Oh and can anyone explain why Dunnes have stopped supplying 1lb bags of suicre sugar?

Advertisement