Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New World Snooker Tour Annoucement

• 26-11-2009 4:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Great news for the game of snooker came today with the announcement from the world governing body (WSA) of a new world snooker tour. This new tour will come into effect from next season and will include at least 15 ranking tournaments along with several invitation events.As there is the annual AGM next week and the current chairmman Sir Rodney Walker is under severe pressure of losing his position this could be some sort of a political move to garner him much needed votes, this idea was actually sounded out by IMG who are currently one of the worlds biggest sports media companies.Barry Hearn who i believe is ready to step into the chairmans position is the one person i believe can realistically achieve this.You only have to look at how Hearn reinvented darts to see the possibilities that can be achieved, and he is also responsible for snookers premier league and championship league which have also proved very successful . I feel if the two can come together this could hearld a new dawn for snooker.I just hope it does'nt all boil down to politics again like it has done before and is just an empty promise by the current board to stay in power. Being involved in the game as long as i have i personnally believe that if this tour comes to fruitition this will once again propel the sport to the popularity and heights it enjoyed from the mid eighties to early nineties. Great Great News.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Great news indeed, any mention given of perspective venues, I would be thinking if there are 15 ranking events Ireland could be in line to hold one, possibly even two - one in say Belfast and one in Killarney??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

No mention of venues yet and i would'nt expect to hear of any until next year or until this tour is actually confirmed. I would expect the WSA to release further statements soon and no doubt we will hear quite a bit of the new tour over the duration of the UK C'ships which takes place in Dec and will be televised by both the BBC and Eurosport. Regarding a tournament in Ireland, well we certainly have the venues and the following but attracting sponsors always seemed to be a stumbling block, hopefully this can change and a ranking event or two can again be held in Ireland. It's no secret that the players like coming over to play here and enjoy the support of the Irish public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

I really hope that we get a ranking event back here. On the BBC and RTÉ websites various locations are mentioned, but no sign of little old Ireland. Sponsorship will be the big issue, maybe the government can sponsor it again, like a few years ago, sure they'll have loads of money once this NAMA comes in!!!

Advertisement