Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help stop unsolicited mail from NTL / UPC

Options
  • 26-11-2009 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy chaps, hope it's ok to put this here.

I'm trying to get as many people as possible to hang on to any of those mails you get from NTL / UPC addressed to "The Resident" @ your address.

I've tried A LOT to get off their mailing list, with no luck. I'd say I get one letter a week, which normally goes into the green bin, unopened.

If, like me, you'd like to send two fingers to UPC, I would ask you to hold onto any of these letters, unopened, in the back of a drawer for the time being.

I'm then going to get as many people as possible to return them on the 1st of May next year.

To return them, all you have to do is write "not known at this address" on the letter and stick it back in the postbox.

It's very important that you do not pay for postage

I'd appreciate it if you think of it, and if you hear any of your mates or whatever complaining in the next six months, maybe you'd point them at this thread.

keep yourselves nice,
    tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

tbh wrote: »
    If, like me, you'd like to send two fingers to UPC, I would ask you to hold onto any of these letters, unopened, in the back of a drawer for the time being.

I'm then going to get as many people as possible to return them on the 1st of May next year.

To return them, all you have to do is write "not known at this address" on the letter and stick it back in the postbox.

It's very important that you do not pay for postage
    Thats a great idea tbh! Now i wish i did recieve their spam!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I mailed them about 18 months ago to complain, and ask them to take me off their database. They told me I had to go and deal with An Post!

They started sending cards instead of letters for a while, think too many people were using their envelopes and sending back rubbish.

Another option: slit the envelope at the side, remove NTL rubbish, replace with your own stuff, make sure address is visible in window, post to your destination at NTLs expense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if you are returning to ntl/chorus be sure to blank out your address with marker or a sticker or it may arrive back through your door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Well, if they want to pay for postage :) That's the reason I want to send all the letters on the one day - I think they have to pay for return postage. In dribs and drabs it's not that much, but if we could get 1000 letters, at ~50c per letter...it's a €500 FU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Brill idea, I have 4 saved all ready.

• Advertisement

great :) If people don't want to hang on to them, I work in Dublin 2 and would hook up with you one day during lunch to collect them if you like. I just really want to get as many as possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sound, I get these too. Will start collecting now. They usually go in the fire.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've already got 18 of them stored up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What a brilliant idea, I never thought of hording them and then sending back in a blitz. I used to write profanities on the envelope, and "return to sender", but they kept sending more.

I don't get them anymore though, as I'm now a customer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm up for this, as an ntl customer it annoys me to bejeazuz when my house gets "the resident" letters for services I'm already subscribed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

jor el wrote: »
    What a brilliant idea, I never thought of hording them and then sending back in a blitz. I used to write profanities on the envelope, and "return to sender", but they kept sending more.

I don't get them anymore though, as I'm now a customer.

They ground you down, you finally replied - So they worked!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm a UPC customer and I've never got a single piece of junk mail from them. Sky, now, that's a different matter .. practically one a week :D

maybe we should broaden the scope? just a general "junkmail payback" day? dare we dream....?:D

Would it be cheeky to ask for this to be a 'sticky'?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heh I like this idea, I also get these on a regular basis. Will start saving.

+ 1 on the stickying.

Mactard wrote: »
    I'm up for this, as an ntl customer it annoys me to bejeazuz when my house gets "the resident" letters for services I'm already subscribed to.

You still get them? Bloody hell, that is bad.
    mcaul wrote: »
    They ground you down, you finally replied - So they worked!:D

Damn it!

If I get any more, I'll definitely keep them this time.

This could quite possibly be the best thing that anyone has ever thought of anywhere in the world for all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That flipping credit card compnay MBNA is another that could do with the treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

And the b******s who keep sending me fax spam every day of the week and apparently can't be stopped. Those, unfortunately, can't be returned to sender:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

if only i had read this yesterday, i returned to sender about 15 yesterday:mad:

will start collecting again

How about a national day of 'Junk Mail - Return to Sender Day'????

Who do we ask about a stickey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

got some crap off them this morning so im in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm also a customer, doesn't matter atleast 1 per week, 4 in the hall already prob 3 in the green bin. I'll start collecting.

Have to make this a sticky I won't remember to post them next MAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mmcs

Remember those of us who work for NTL that have to send out mail in marketing to keep us in jobs!!!

don't take it away from us!

anyone who doesn't want these mails can go to the post office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

mmcs wrote: »
    Remember those of us who work for NTL that have to send out mail in marketing to keep us in jobs!!!

Are you saying the post office is responsible for sending out letters addressed to "The resident" and personalise it with the house number?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

Cool shoudnt take me long so cos I get 2 a week without fail even after calling into them and handing a written request asking them to stop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I shouldn't have to go to the post office. I've been returning letters addressed to "The Resident" for over 3 years now. I have no sympathy.

And do what exactly? An Post are legally obliged to deliver the mail, once it's been paid for by a sender. All you could do is get them to either hold or forward all your mail to a different location. This will cost you money, and it won't actually stop the spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kwyjibot

bedlam wrote: »
    As a subscriber all you should have to do is phone them up and tell them to stop sending them and it will be noted on your account.

We've got our TV with NTL but get regular mail and phonecalls asking us to move our broadband also. Couple of weeks back I told the guy that I wasn't interested, wasn't going to be interested and that a lot of time & effort on both sides could be saved if they stopped sending us junk/cold-calling us. Apparently it wasn't possible for him to remove us from this list.
    bedlam wrote: »
    I went the other route spoke to a "manager" who got me off the list, a year on and no junk mail from NTL.
    Thanks for the tip - next time I'll demand to talk to a manager, should save NTL a small fortune in printing & call-centre costs over the next year!

In the mean time I'll save the junk mail for May 1st :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Are you saying the post office is responsible for sending out letters addressed to "The resident" and personalise it with the house number?

That's what their (NTLs) "customer service" claimed when I mailed them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

just chuck them in the bin. Thats costs the sender money saves you storing them and then going to a post box wheres the hassle.
    If worried about your bin charges then drop one per day in a litter bin.
    No great problem!

Advertisement