Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Guards Exercise Tropical Storm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Wait for it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

I've only heard one Irish accent there, a bloke form the north. The rest of them had northern English accents and one Scotsman. Why don't they just call them the Liverpool or Yorkshire Guards or something as most of them seem to be from that region of England ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Because they mostly have irish blood somewhere in the bloodline. Pikey usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

iceage wrote: »
    Wait for it..

heh heh now I know what you were waiting for...:D

There's always some armchair republican spewing sh*te. They are called the Irish Guards as in the 1900s the powers that be recognised the prowess of the Irish on the battlefield and decided to capitalize on that b grouping them together.

They have been recruiting Irish men into their ranks for over 100 years which is a longer standing Irish fighting unit than our very own proud DF.

I had the pleasure of going over to aldershot and spending a weekend with the lads over there. Their mess has all the recipients of awards (sporting marvelous moustaches) proudly displayed on the walls and the majority of them are 1st gen Irish.

When I was there there were lads from Down, Donegal and Donnycarney and beyond (one sgt. who was given the honour to carry the queens coffin)...they chose the to join the Brits and see some action. They are not and cannot be considered traitors.

There is orangemen, freemen and Irish men all in the same billet. Yes you get friendly banter, to the same level as you would between a Dub and a bog trotter ;)

All of them proudly nod to the notable traditions of the Irish regiment and English Irish or feckin French to a man they proudly all brand themselves Drunken Micks.

The war is over despite what provo scum try to do.

There is lads from Liverpool in that video odds are he's 2nd / 3rd Gen Irish so whats your point?

If your going to spew empty rhetoric then do the forum a favour and save it for the next Gary óg gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

McArmalite wrote: »
    I've only heard one Irish accent there, a bloke form the north. The rest of them had northern English accents and one Scotsman. Why don't they just call them the Liverpool or Yorkshire Guards or something as most of them seem to be from that region of England ?

See the RTE nationwide show on the IG from this or last year - there seem to be a fair few from the entire Island, north and south. The ensign (2lt) that carried the Irish Guards colour at this years trooping of the colour came from tipperary.

The reason why I think they survive is so that each of the component parts of the UK

(and I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about the rights and wrongs of N.I/Uladh/Our wee country/Ulster/Occupied Six Counties/Festering pot of sectarian hatred and backwards followers of Abrahamic Faiths/call it what you will - belongs to)

have a foot guards unit and thus a link to the monarch. The fact that the Irish Guards date to before partition probably accounts for why they are the Irish Guard and not the Northern Irish Guards. The Irish Guards are also well connected (most off their officers come from well to do catholic fee paying schools in England) may also have something to do with the matter of their continued survival (and in general) as well as the survival of the other four footguards regiment, as well as Guards Division in General.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

BigDuffman wrote: »

There's always some armchair republican spewing sh*te. They are called the Irish Guards as in the 1900s the powers that be recognised the prowess of the Irish on the battlefield and decided to capitalize on that b grouping them together.

They have been recruiting Irish men into their ranks for over 100 years which is a longer standing Irish fighting unit than our very own proud DF.

I had the pleasure of going over to aldershot and spending a weekend with the lads over there. Their mess has all the recipients of awards (sporting marvelous moustaches) proudly displayed on the walls and the majority of them are 1st gen Irish.

When I was there there were lads from Down, Donegal and Donnycarney and beyond (one sgt. who was given the honour to carry the queens coffin)...they chose the to join the Brits and see some action. They are not and cannot be considered traitors.

There is orangemen, freemen and Irish men all in the same billet. Yes you get friendly banter, to the same level as you would between a Dub and a bog trotter ;)

All of them proudly nod to the notable traditions of the Irish regiment and English Irish or feckin French to a man they proudly all brand themselves Drunken Micks.

There is lads from Liverpool in that video odds are he's 2nd / 3rd Gen Irish so whats your point?

If your going to spew empty rhetoric then do the forum a favour and save it for the next Gary óg gig.

Amen to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i take it you dont know why a reg now dont take people from one area ?even in the merchant navy they stopped taking in large numbers if a reg or merchant seamen are from one area, if the ship was sunk or many soldiers died in battle,for cities in the UK or ireland it would be davastating,as the many regiments in the WW1 and the merchant men in WW11 found out

:eek:

BTW, what were you doing in Aldershot, that's the home of the Parachute Regiment ? And " Gary óg ", who the hell is that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Whilst no-one has any grá for the Paras, Aldershot is also home to the Irish Guards....Gary óg aka Eire Og plays scum holes and Provo dens like Fraisers and the sidewalk.

• Advertisement

Why are people of Irish ancestory in England not entitled to be proud of their Irish ancestory would you say the same thing to Irish Americans on St Pats day in New York ?

Whilst no-one has any grá for the Paras, Aldershot is also home to the Irish Guards....
    According to the interweb, it's Victoria Barracks, Windsor.
    Gary óg aka Eire Og plays scum holes and Provo dens like Fraisers and the sidewalk.
    Frazers is no more a Provo bar than the Dail bar is. Never been in this Sidewalk bar, but if people think just because young Celtic supporters gather in a certain pub that it must be a Provo pub, well that's laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

:eek:

BTW, what were you doing in Aldershot, that's the home of the Parachute Regiment ? And " Gary óg ", who the hell is that ?

Aldershot (Browning Barracks) used to be but now it's Colchester. Airborne Museum has also moved and is now at Duxford.

Why are people of Irish ancestory in England not entitled to be proud of their Irish ancestory would you say the same thing to Irish Americans on St Pats day in New York ?
    People waving flags and drinking green beer on Paddy's day in New York is about having a bit of a laugh, but trying to pretend that Ireland is an integral part of britain and the british army by having 5/6 or whatever of its members in a ' Irish ' regiment from England and the odd token fella from Ireland is another thing. It's just silly, pompous clinging on to a dead symbol of a dead empire.

Anyway, another thing about the lack of fellas from Ireland in the youtube clip, if a person were to go by some of the fellas who post here you'd think blokes from Ireland were joining daily the british army by the bus load :rolleyes:. I'd say the French Foreign Legion have as many trying out for it over a year, though how many actually make it through is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

That same Sgt. was also Mentioned in Dispatches not so long ago for his actions in Iraq. His father is a well known Sgt in the Brugha.

He joined the Brits because the PDF wouldn't take him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Carried the Queen Mothers Coffin. I know, forgive me for being pedantic.

iceage wrote: »
    Carried the Queen Mothers Coffin. I know, forgive me for being pedantic.

on the subject of being pedantic ... Queen Mother's coffin....

People waving flags and drinking green beer on Paddy's day in New York is about having a bit of a laugh, but trying to pretend that Ireland is an integral part of britain and the british army by having 5/6 or whatever of its members in a ' Irish ' regiment from England and the odd token fella from Ireland is another thing. It's just silly, pompous clinging on to a dead symbol of a dead empire.

Anyway, another thing about the lack of fellas from Ireland in the youtube clip, if a person were to go by some of the fellas who post here you'd think blokes from Ireland were joining daily the british army by the bus load :rolleyes:. I'd say the French Foreign Legion have as many trying out for it over a year, though how many actually make it through is another thing.

Your ignorance is astounding, 20% of the Irish Guards were born in Ireland, many of the rest have Irish ancstory.

Irish recrutment to the BA has increased. Ive even head of two lads recently signing up for the Parachute Regiment.

What do you base you French foreign legion comment on ?

small article in An Cosantoir re an IG soldier from WW1 who later served in the National Army etc....

http://fileserver.4pm.ie/Upload/15/15282-bjl.pdf

Your ignorance is astounding, 20% of the Irish Guards were born in Ireland, many of the rest have Irish ancstory.

Irish recrutment to the BA has increased. Ive even head of two lads recently signing up for the Parachute Regiment.

What do you base you French foreign legion comment on ?
    Well I said 5/6's of them were English and that's 16.6% so I wasn't too far off the mark you have given :)

Anyway, where do you get that figure of 20% of the Irish Guards were born in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

A few minutes of video hosted on Youtube is hardly enough to infer the % of Irish born in the Royal Irish.

Well I said 5/6's of them were English and that's 16.6% so I wasn't too far off the mark you have given :)

Anyway, where do you get that figure of 20% of the Irish Guards were born in Ireland ?

Ireland does inc N Ireland, (it ignores the fact bigots like yourself dont recognise N Irish unionists as Irish) saw the stat on a documentry.

How do you know they dont have Irish ancestory in the documentry ? and who the f*** are you to tell people what there heritage is ?

If we went by you bigotry the republic would struggle to put out a soccer team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Ireland does inc N Ireland, (it ignores the fact bigots like yourself dont recognise N Irish unionists as Irish) saw the stat on a documentry.

How do you know they dont have Irish ancestory in the documentry ? and who the f*** are you to tell people what there heritage is ?

there has been a big rise of young irishmen from the republic joining the british army,since the pease process the number has gone up by 16%,[fig on thursday 4th september 2008] also indicators say that since the recession it now may be even higher

Well, I won't say I was a bigot, though I have to admit than when I'm going abroad on a few days holidays I make sure I bring a good supply of Tayto crisps, Bolands biscuits and my favourite CD Faith of Our Fathers, just in case those infidel continentals might dilute the charcter of a good Catholic Irish boy like myself.
    getz wrote: »
    there has been a big rise of young irishmen from the republic joining the british army,since the pease process the number has gone up by 16%,[fig on thursday 4th september 2008] also indicators say that since the recession it now may be even higher
    So Getz, if their's 25 fellas from Ireland in the Irish guards and 4 join in a year, that's an increase of 16%. Hardly the numbers to make the Taliban shake in their boots is it Getz ?

Well, I won't say I was a bigot, though I have to admit than when I'm going abroad on a few days holidays I make sure I bring a good supply of Tayto crisps, Bolands biscuits and my favourite CD Faith of Our Fathers, just in case those infidel continentals might dilute the charcter of a good Catholic Irish boy like myself.

So Getz, if their's 25 fellas from Ireland in the Irish guards and 4 join in a year, that's an increase of 16%. Hardly the numbers to make the Taliban shake in their boots is it Getz ?

Where did anyone claim (apart from yourself), there were only 25 Irish guardsman from Ireland, why do you keep posting BS.

Where did anyone claim (apart from yourself), there were only 25 Irish guardsman from Ireland, why do you keep posting BS.
    " saw the stat on a documentry. " ;) Lighten up a bit will ya.

Advertisement