Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log tables!

Options
  • 26-11-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Did anyone hear that there was mistake made in the log tables??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

There are a number of mistakes all of which will be corrected for the ones which we get in June so don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

The only error I've heard about is that they didn't include 0 as a natural number.

Lawliet wrote: »
    The only error I've heard about is that they didn't include 0 as a natural number.

That's the biggest one I think but there are other too. The unit circle for example is labelled wrong, one of the co-ordinates on it should read (0,1) but reads (1,0).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That's the biggest one I think but there are other too. The unit circle for example is labelled wrong, one of the co-ordinates on it should read (0,1) but reads (1,0).
    Yes, that's one of 'em. There's some formula that's wrong aswell as far as I know. All these mistakes will easily be corrected in time for June (and are probably corrected by now).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 -Aviron-

0 is not actually universally accepted as a natural number. Many mathematicians consider N to be the set of numbers {1, 2, 3,.....,n}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

-Aviron- wrote: »
    0 is not actually universally accepted as a natural number. Many mathematicians consider N to be the set of numbers {1, 2, 3,.....,n}
    True, but we've been working on the convention that 0 is a natural number in Ireland for years. It's mad to just change the convention in one national book like that. The left hand side is not universally accepted as the side of the road on which to drive either.

I don't have my tables with me but I think there might be an issue on some page where they said absolute zero was −273.16 ° instead of −273.15 °.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I think there might be an issue on some page where they said absolute zero was −273.16 ° instead of −273.15 °.

On page 58 it says degree/centigrade = T/K -273.15

On page 64 it says standard temperature is 273.16 K

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Oh that's ok so. Standard temperature is the triple point of water.

Absolute zero, the hypothetical but unattainable temperature at which matter exhibits zero entropy, is defined as being precisely 0 K and −273.15 °C. The temperature value of the triple point of water is defined as being precisely 273.16 K and 0.01 °C.

(the triple point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which three phases (for example, gas, liquid, and solid) of that substance coexist in thermodynamic equilibrium.)

EDIT:

According to the Irish Times, I was right first time about it being wrong.
    The commission said there was also a mistake in the chemistry section on page 64, where a standard temperature is given as 273.16 K but should be 273.15 K.

A bit of googling is revealing a bit of controversy about this convention too, though.

Oh that's ok so. Standard temperature is the triple point of water.

Absolute zero, the hypothetical but unattainable temperature at which matter exhibits zero entropy, is defined as being precisely 0 K and −273.15 °C. The temperature value of the triple point of water is defined as being precisely 273.16 K and 0.01 °C.

(the triple point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which three phases (for example, gas, liquid, and solid) of that substance coexist in thermodynamic equilibrium.)

EDIT:

According to the Irish Times, I was right first time about it being wrong.

A bit of googling is revealing a bit of controversy about this convention too, though.
    Wow, they only realised today? Abit crazy. It's nice they're adding in the angle between the line formula in co-ordinate geometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

What are the odds of the unit circle on the back cover being fixed?

• Advertisement

The times article says an error was discovered last week by a 4th year student.

Boards were highlighting the error over 2 months ago. Don't we get any credit? :(

I suppose we'll have to fork out another 4 euro for the new tables or will they tell us all the errors and we can adjust ourselves.

I'd say nearly every HL maths class in the country discovered it when they started trigonometry...it was just one student who told the SEC.

EDIT:
    The book replaced the Log Tables that had been used for about 40 years, and included many new formulae, tables and other information.
    Wow, 40 years. No wonder they were crap and barely legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'd say nearly every HL maths class in the country discovered it when they started trigonometry...it was just one student who told the SEC.

EDIT: Wow, 40 years. No wonder they were crap and barely legible.

While the print on the back pages showing the applied maths and stats formulas wasn't great, the tables themselves weren't crap. I did my junior cert in 94 and calculators were not allowed for maths. We learned how to calculate squares/square roots/logs/sin/cos/tan using those tables. While some would see those skills as outdated with the retort 'sure a calculator does that for you' I notice many students coming into 5th year chemistry to me have problems with basic mathematical computation simply because they've been using calculators to do everything since primary school and are unable to do the calculations themselves if the need arises.

I'm not saying the new tables are a bad thing, but they can lead to a loss of skill and laziness. having to learn how to do something and acquiring a skill in doing so keeps the mind active rather than just punching a series of buttons on the calculator, getting an answer and not knowing where it comes from. Or not being able to do it when there is no calculator to hand.

Seems though that the new tables weren't proof read particularly well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I'm not saying the new tables are a bad thing, but they can lead to a loss of skill and laziness. having to learn how to do something and acquiring a skill in doing so keeps the mind active rather than just punching a series of buttons on the calculator, getting an answer and not knowing where it comes from. Or not being able to do it when there is no calculator to hand.

We are taught where these come from, it's just quicker to do them on a calculator. In any situation where these skills are required, you will reach for a calculator, not log tables, so why not just use a calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jesus!tony

I dont think the log tables will be of any help. You still have to know the formula's to use them. Thses log tables are actually making me worse because I feel that I dont have to learn the formula's and then I forget how to do the question. :)

The anyone who's interested the list of mistakes is up on examinations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jamser89

anyone think the new log tables including all the symbols, units and formulae are a step on in the dumbing down of exam papers?:P

Advertisement