Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurospar "More Price Cuts" - Classic

Options
  • 26-11-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

eurosparpricecut.jpg

Took this an hour ago at the local Eurospar.
    Yes, the price tag on the right is the older of the two by a couple of months too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Hahaha. Amazing. That violates all sorts of rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I don't think it breaks any rules as such. ( open to correction )

I see these in tesco all the time ... price cut , was 1.45 now 1.56 or such like

Buyer beware ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I don't think it breaks any rules as such. ( open to correction )

I see these in tesco all the time ... price cut , was 1.45 now 1.56 or such like

Buyer beware ..........

You could be right but if this is legal then the law needs to be changed. It's at the very least an attempt to defraud by implying that the price of the item for sale has been reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,954 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You could be right but if this is legal then the law needs to be changed. It's at the very least an attempt to defraud by implying that the price of the item for sale has been reduced.

i thought an item had to be on sale at a higher price for a month or so, before a reduction could be called a reduction. This being to stop shops from increasing the price for one day, then bringing it back down the following day saying it is 20% off.

It's probably the terminology they used "price cuts" instead of price reductions.
    Lots of nice little legal loop holes for shops like this to take advantage of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Retailer in attempt of defraud consumer in Ireland shocker.:eek:

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Retailer in attempt of defraud consumer in Ireland shocker.:eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭uaobrien

Actually I found the loophole in the picture.

The small print states the offer is valid from September 09 although I can vouch the offer was only placed on the shelf at the time of the pic (look at the crispness/cleanliness of the display).

They could point to that if any questions are raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I was buying tiles for the house at €35 per sq. yard.

I decided to wait unti the sale started the following week and the price read "50% off, were €59.99, now €29.99" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

uaobrien wrote: »
    Actually I found the loophole in the picture.

The small print states the offer is valid from September 09 although I can vouch the offer was only placed on the shelf at the time of the pic (look at the crispness/cleanliness of the display).

They could point to that if any questions are raised.

So because the POS was nice and clean it definitely was only placed on the shelf just before you got there ? Some stores do clean their shelf talkers :D

Assuming that you are right though then it's fairly obvious from the date that this has been put out in error - might have been lying there for a while and someone found it and put it up. Most eurospar sites were charging €2.29, then dropped it to €1.99 and now have dropped it further.

Does the 1.79 SEL have a date on it from 2 months ago ?

And last pedantic point of the evening - they have not advertised a price cut as there is no was / now referred to. I know it says more price cuts on the shelf talker but technically they have to specify a previous price to have advertised a price reduction too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

You see these stickers everywhere in my local euro spar. mind you in tescos last week there a sticker saying was €1.99 now €1.99 :rolleyes:
    the mind boggles.

Also was buying Cheerios ceral in Tescos last week, and seeing as I am trying to save pennys, I thought I would go with the Tescos own brand, and turns out the Tesco own brand was €0.40 cent more expensive, not much but just goes to show.

Is it a case of Tesco thinking people will pick up their own brand and think ah sure this will be cheaper?!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭uaobrien

So because the POS was nice and clean it definitely was only placed on the shelf just before you got there ? Some stores do clean their shelf talkers :D

Yeah, but you missed the part about it being my local... I'm there every other day almost, usually for Diet Coke, which is why I noticed it. If it had been a product I rarely get I probably wouldn't have thought twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cute_cow wrote: »
    You see these stickers everywhere in my local euro spar. mind you in tescos last week there a sticker saying was €1.99 now €1.99 :rolleyes:
    the mind boggles.

Also was buying Cheerios ceral in Tescos last week, and seeing as I am trying to save pennys, I thought I would go with the Tescos own brand, and turns out the Tesco own brand was €0.40 cent more expensive, not much but just goes to show.

Is it a case of Tesco thinking people will pick up their own brand and think ah sure this will be cheaper?!
    That cheerios box was probably smaller than the tesco one. I have never seen any of their own brand stuff being more expensive than similar brand name stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Eurospar annoy me. On the TV advert and on the flyers that come through the letter box they have those fire logs for €2 so I picked up a few at my local and they were €3.99 so double what they were advertised as. I questioned this and they didn't have a clue so I put them back. Don't advertise something on TV as one price all over the country if you're going to charge your own prices :rolleyes:

That cheerios box was probably smaller than the tesco one. I have never seen any of their own brand stuff being more expensive than similar brand name stuff.

Well thats what I thought too, but turns out both were the same size, either 360g or 375g, can't remember which.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

cute_cow wrote: »
    Well thats what I thought too, but turns out both were the same size, either 360g or 375g, can't remember which.

its also possible that the cheerios was on a promo at the time? might not have been advertised etc

its also possible that the cheerios was on a promo at the time? might not have been advertised etc

Not that I was aware of, usually look for special offers on cereals expecially! But just had a quick look on Tesco online and Cheerios 375g are 2.25 and Tesco Hoops are 2.35.
    Now obviously 10 cent is not a lot at all, but worth checking regular prices against own brand instead of just pciking them up presuming they woul dbe less expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

uaobrien wrote: »
    eurosparpricecut.jpg

Took this an hour ago at the local Eurospar.
    Yes, the price tag on the right is the older of the two by a couple of months too.

does any one out there ever come across this kind of poster, but then when it come to paying they take the origional price of item from you without telling you, which mean it was all a lie in the first place, too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

One problem with this - nowhere on the label does it actually say the price has been reduced! i.e. 'WAS X, NOW Y'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Bad pricing irrtates me. I used to be in charge of Eurospar pricing in a local supermarket. I hated that job I have to say, it is tedious but it does make me notice the mistakes made more and more. Shelf talkers for me would rarely last more than a couple of days, they would always be knocked off or damged which meant that I wouod have to replace them almost weekly. I had a routine which meant this situation pictured was highly unlikely and it was a simple routine, I dont understand how so many stores can have so many mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

There's a classic in Tesco at the moment (seen it in Jervis St and Parnell St so its probably in them all). Sadly didn't have a camera phone to take a pic.

Their own brand Diet Cola. On the barcode it says 'Was 49c, Now 59c'.
    (In the Jervis St shop they have tried to cover up the 'Was 49c' with blue markerpen, though this just has the effect of making it stand out more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

[/quote]it is not nice to fool customers, that kind of practice is offputting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Wow, epic false advertising fail.

If they can't even advertise falsely properly, they may as well shut up shop.

Advertisement