Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lie you're consoles down flat

• 26-11-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Was trying to find out why my x-box was scratching the games in the console
    and found out thier not getting scrathed but burned.... lazer burned from the disc getting too close to the lazer and its caused when the console is standing upright combined with vibration or the console moving which is perticularly common when jumping around playing Guitar hero.
    the easiest way round this is to lie the console flat resulting in a more stable base resulting in less movement the console.

Repairing lazer burned games can be done in Game or Extra-vision but is not always succesful
    may have been covered here already, just a heads up for those who dont know

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I've had my 360 standing up since 2005, and never had a damaged CD or DVD. They only way for that to happen is to shake it or knock it over, I have seen it done first hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Having the 360 standing up is also the quickest way to get the RROD. See the big vent that it's standing on? Notice that it's also the biggest air vent on the whole console? Hello overheating problem and RRoD.

Never have your 360 in the standing up position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't know why anyone would stand it up, it just makes loading discs tricky, knocking over easy and obviously the above problems of overheating and disc scratching more likely.

Unless you live in a hobbit hole, surely you have enough space to lie it down.

I blame all the promo shots of xboxes showing them standing up, seems to subconsciously make consumers think it is the way to go.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would stand it up, it just makes loading discs tricky, knocking over easy and obviously the above problems of overheating and disc scratching more likely.

Unless you live in a hobbit hole, surely you have enough space to lie it down.

I blame all the promo shots of xboxes showing them standing up, seems to subconsciously make consumers think it is the way to go.

You'd be surprised at the things some people say/do.....

When the PS3 slim launched there were two bizarre statements that kept popping up on these boards.

Firstly '' i'm going to trade in my 40/60/80GB for one'' why oh why would people cough up more dosh when their console was still working:confused:

And secondly in relation to my point(and commonly following the first statement), the smaller size and extra space were also quoted as trade in reasons. The mind boggles, those 3/4 inches of space seemed prime factors in shelling extra money out.

Some people like doing things just for the sake of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

When I got my XBox, everyone was saying that laying it down was a big reason for the RROD, but standing it up could cause disc scratches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Having the 360 standing up is also the quickest way to get the RROD. See the big vent that it's standing on? Notice that it's also the biggest air vent on the whole console? Hello overheating problem and RRoD.

technically correct, but the exhaust vent on the back should be sufficient, also heat rises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

weeder wrote: »
    technically correct, but the exhaust vent on the back should be sufficient, also heat rises.

For the air to get out it has to get in somehow. Exhaust is not enough when there is no intake.
    LD 50 wrote:
    When I got my XBox, everyone was saying that laying it down was a big reason for the RROD, but standing it up could cause disc scratches.

as mentioned above by retrogamer lying console is the safiest i terms of rrod and scratching discs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Sh*t happens, don't worry about it and enjoy the damn thing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Most 360s only scratch discs if you tilt it while the disc is spinning, the disc can tilt at an angle, rubbing off the lens surround and creating nice circular scratches. It's very uncommon for this to happen of it's own accord. As has been said before, lying the 360 flat reduces the risk of tilt during operation so you shouldn't ever have to deal with scratches on the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

docentore wrote: »
    For the air to get out it has to get in somehow. Exhaust is not enough when there is no intake.

as mentioned above by retrogamer lying console is the safiest i terms of rrod and scratching discs
    there is the small vent on top, which is fairly big with the hdd removed.

i keep mine vertical as theres no space near my tv to lie it down, unless its sandwiched inbetween my skybox and ps3 slim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I put my 4 long years and good service of my 1st 360 and launch day 360 at that!!! down to horizontalness, old whitey finally got the the rrod last week and was given a Christian burial as was fitting.

In these dark times , it calls for a dark hero to take up the torch... enter Blackey my new elite :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Always baffled me why anyone would have their console on its side. Its probably due to the fact MS and Sony market them that way but would you ever put a DVD or CD player on its side? Makes no sense having them on their sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

FTR, I've had my Halo 3 disc in the drive since about 5 minutes past midnight on the day it was released. My machine is standing up... I havent the disc for scratches, but it never fails to load.

Yes I know, I need to buy more games. Not even sure if the eject button works anymore....

Muppet Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

There you go again with with your misinformation.

The main "vent" as you call it is on the back where the fans are, so if you're not blocking that off, you're ok. horizontal or vertical, either way is perfectly acceptable. Loads of people have it vertical with no problems, same for horizontal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The main vent with the fan pumps air out. Cool air has to get in through the other vents so having a bigger one on the side is a lot more helpful. Have had no RRoD's after a lot of use so I'm keeping mine that way. Anyone that builds PC's will know that since RRoD is cause by overheating that having better ventilation is a way of counter acting this. So stop spreading your misinformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Mine has been like this since day one 3 or 4 years ago and no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

The main "vent" as you call it is on the back where the fans are, so if you're not blocking that off, you're ok. horizontal or vertical, either way is perfectly acceptable. Loads of people have it vertical with no problems, same for horizontal.

I'll repeat: no intake = no exhaust.

Do small experiment, put a blanket or towel (vide towel trick) on your xbox by covering top and bottom intake vents, leave rear one open (as you said "main vent"). Then do 3-4 hours gaming session. I'm sure you won't get to the end of the first hour.

Misinformation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

But the vents on the back are where air is pushed out by the fans. The side that people stand the console on is where the biggest air intake holes are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The main vent with the fan pumps air out. Cool air has to get in through the other vents so having a bigger one on the side is a lot more helpful. Have had no RRoD's after a lot of use so I'm keeping mine that way. Anyone that builds PC's will know that since RRoD is cause by overheating that having better ventilation is a way of counter acting this. So stop spreading your misinformation.

You're blocking 2, albeit smaller vents when you have it horizontally, so it's not that much different. Saying you're definitely gonna get rrod if you have it vertically is BS frankly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

You're blocking 2, albeit smaller vents when you have it horizontally, so it's not that much different. Saying you're definitely gonna get rrod if you have it vertically is BS frankly.

Nobody said it would definitely cause RROD just that it would make it slightly more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I've always had mine vertical. Took 2 years before I got RROD. So as far as I'm concerned whether it's standing or laying flat is completely down to preference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

lol those vents are there for a reason, if they where not needed they wouldnt be there! I lie mine flat, have it since launch day and have never had the rings. My brother puts his on the side, he got the rings 3 times, the third time they gave him a new 360. He puts it flat now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

my old pro died after 1 year old had 3 rrd laying down with that one sold it to gamestop for 300 euros there 2 years ago
    my 120gb one 2 years old has had it once so thats ok for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

docentore wrote: »
    I'll repeat: no intake = no exhaust.

Do small experiment, put a blanket or towel (vide towel trick) on your xbox by covering top and bottom intake vents, leave rear one open (as you said "main vent"). Then do 3-4 hours gaming session. I'm sure you won't get to the end of the first hour.

Misinformation?

I'm pretty sure that the fan creates negative pressure, sucking in cooler air from outside the case.

Hot air coming out of the case = heat being dissipated through forced convection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Never had a RROD, launch white console and new Elite both standing upright. People seem to forget that heat can also pass through the sides of the console, same as the bonnet on a car ...

Advertisement