Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of warrenty iPod broken

Options
  • 26-11-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have an iPod over a year now, so its out of warrenty. Basically freezes whenever I try put music on it. I've searched the problem on the internet and thousands of people have the exact same problem.
    Anyway, I'm certain there is some sort of Irish law that says electronics have to be fit for there use for six years or something along those lines but just can't find that information anywhere. I plan on ringing apple and quoting this to them but need proof to back it up. Anyone know where I can find this information, I've spent the past hour looking it up and can't quite find it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Julez wrote: »
    Ok, I have an iPod over a year now, so its out of warrenty. Basically freezes whenever I try put music on it. I've searched the problem on the internet and thousands of people have the exact same problem.
    Anyway, I'm certain there is some sort of Irish law that says electronics have to be fit for there use for six years or something along those lines but just can't find that information anywhere. I plan on ringing apple and quoting this to them but need proof to back it up. Anyone know where I can find this information, I've spent the past hour looking it up and can't quite find it.
    Thanks

If the product is out of it's guarantee, apple are well within their rights to charge for the repair. If you contact them however, you may be able to negotiate with them. I have dealt with them regarding laptops, ipods and itunes tracks and they have always been very helpful, I hope ya manage to get it sorted:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

matt70iu wrote: »
    If the product is out of it's guarantee, apple are well within their rights to charge for the repair. If you contact them however, you may be able to negotiate with them. I have dealt with them regarding laptops, ipods and itunes tracks and they have always been very helpful, I hope ya manage to get it sorted:)
    Depends on how far out as any electronical item should last a "reasonable time" and below 2 years on an IPOD would not meet that and Apple has to fix it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

2 Year EU Repair Law
    Worth having a read, if you bought the ipod within the EU that is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

majiktripp wrote: »
    2 Year EU Repair Law
    Worth having a read, if you bought the ipod within the EU that is.
    Don't apply to Ireland and UK though as their existing legislation was considered to give better cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

give apple a call, they tend to be quite reasonable for out of warranty issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Noodles5

Send it to mactivate in Dublin 15, don't know their phone number off... Should be online. I worked in a phone shop couple of years ago and we sent all out of warranty repairs there, u will have to pay for it but they tell you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Don't pay for anything. It is reasonable to expect an iPod to last longer than a year in your case, and Apple should repair or replace it. Ring them and quote the Sale of Goods And Supply of Services Act 1980 and say that you believe it is reasonable to expect your iPod to last longer than it has. Try to get through to their irish support staff, the english or indian staff won't have a clue what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

matt70iu wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Thank god someone else posted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ch750536 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Thank god someone else posted...

He is right though unless Apple was the actual seller. All guarantees are the responsibility of the seller and not manufacturer.

• Advertisement

He is right though unless Apple was the actual seller. All guarantees are the responsibility of the seller and not manufacturer.

Nope, he is wrong. Electronics have at least a mandatory 2 year guarantee in Ireland regardless of manufacturers warranty. Contract is with the seller not the manufacturer.

Nope, he is wrong. Electronics have at least a mandatory 2 year guarantee in Ireland regardless of manufacturers warranty. Contract is with the seller not the manufacturer.

He is technically right. Apple can charge for the repair if did not buy from them and he went to them directly for repair. He wouldn't have to pay anything if he went directly to the seller as the contract is with them, assuming it wasn't Apple.

You are incorrect. What 2 year guarantee are you talking about? The EU directive? That was not implemented in Ireland because our consumer law provides for even more protection. There no defined length of a guarantee for anything in law, other than a "reasonable period". There is however a limitation period in which you can bring a case against a seller, and that is 6 years.

Elessar wrote: »
    He is technically right. Apple can charge for the repair if did not buy from them and he went to them directly for repair. He wouldn't have to pay anything if he went directly to the seller as the contract is with them, assuming it wasn't Apple.

You are incorrect. What 2 year guarantee are you talking about? The EU directive? That was not implemented in Ireland because our consumer law provides for even more protection. There no defined length of a guarantee for anything in law, other than a "reasonable period". There is however a limitation period in which you can bring a case against a seller, and that is 6 years.

Exactly what I said.

Exactly what I said.

That's not what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Take it easy people

dudara

Yeah, you're right, both saying the same thing.

As ever with these things be careful if you do go direct to the manufacturer as any future issue may have to go back to them if the unit is not the same one you purchased from the supplier.

With apple you may be safe (though I have heard good and bad examples).

Advertisement