Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone not accepting old Sim card.

• 26-11-2009 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Hi, there. I got a new mobile phone. It was purchased in N.Ireland, and I just assumed I could use my old sim card in it, but it won't accept it. Are UK mobile Sim cards different to Irish? Is there any way I can get my phone to accept my old card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms...probably more suitable for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Thanks, Rmacm, didn't spot that forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

As in it won't fit or the phone is network locked to a UK network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

no free credit from your network and now you have to pay some company to unlock your phone, hope it was worth the saving..

Any way, rant over. A uk phone takes a UK sim, an Irish phone takes an Irish Sim, you need to find an unlocking shop they'll probably charge you €20 - 50 depending on the phone .

It fits in the phone, asks for my pin no, says "Pin OK" then "Insert correct SIM card!" I guess it must be locked to Orange network. Is there any way out of that?

• Advertisement

yes it's locked to orange then, what phone is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kelle wrote: »
    It fits in the phone, asks for my pin no, says "Pin OK" then "Insert correct SIM card!" I guess it must be locked to Orange network. Is there any way out of that?

I take it, its a sony ericsson? You can get it unlocked to take the irish sim

the aerix site dosen't seem to work any more Davy, was going to suggest that if it was a sony.

miffed at the cross border shoppers though...

Yes, it's a Sony ericsson I couldn't get that particular one here which is why I got it up north (as my old phone is banjaxed!). But I'll be happy to pay that to get it unlocked, if it can be done.

shouldn't be a problem, loads of places to get it unlcoked, what model is it? (as in c905 etc)

• Advertisement

miffed at the cross border shoppers though...

Don't give out to me, drunkmonkey :), I believe in supporting my local shops. There was a particular toy I wanted to get from Argos, but It was "Out of stock" in every single store in Ireland which is why I went up north to get it, then I got that phone - and some drink for my husband! I stopped for 20 minutes only - and it's the only time i've gone since last year! Happy?
    shouldn't be a problem, loads of places to get it unlcoked, what model is it? (as in c905 etc)
    It's a w395. So if I take it into a Meteor shop would they be able to unlock it?

Don't give out to me, drunkmonkey :), I believe in supporting my local shops. There was a particular toy I wanted to get from Argos, but It was "Out of stock" in every single store in Ireland which is why I went up north to get it, then I got that phone - and some drink for my husband! I stopped for 20 minutes only - and it's the only time i've gone since last year! Happy?

Sorry Kelle, was just havin a rant in another thread about the same, you got the brunt of it:) Happy!

if your phone is listed here you may be able to unlock it for free yourself at home, http://www.aerix-group.com/supported_phones.html just dowload the software and away you go...other wise take it to you nearest phone shop, not carphone etc they don't do unlocks..or meteor. Just keep away from the chain stores for the unlock.

Thank you all for your help. I'll try that website, Drunkmonkey!

I'm back Drunkmonkey! My phone is not on that list, I'm not sure which shop to bring it into- all I know are the Meteor, Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse shops and you have excluded all those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Meath/ north Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Meath/ north Dublin area

Go into town. I work in Carphone Henry st and there's a dozen unlocking shops around the area. Moore St especially.

Advertisement