Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Wireless Set up.

Options
  • 26-11-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm good with computers but absolutley horrific with anything else IT related and am in need of a wireless network at home.
    I have a NTL router (the blue one) and an eircom wireless router if anyone could tell me how to get these to work together would be perfect, allass I know these probably won't work together but I should be able to get my hand on a Belkin one easily enough.
    What I really need is someone to tell me step by step how to set one of these up as at the moment I have my router plugged into the NTL router, the router to the computer and the computer to the laptop and a 10M cable running through the house doesn't make my laptop as free as I need it.
    Also if anyone could tell me what the story is with an existing NTL customer wanting to upgrade to a wireless account. If it costs anything extra, is the modem free etc.
    Thanks in advance hopefully can help me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Wireless. I'll leave a redirect in S&S for the next couple of days for you.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

can you set the eircom router to be used as an access point. ie. turn off all the router functionality.

if you current have the setup like this

bb -> ntl router -> eircom router -> pc + laptop

the eircom router should give out wireless and the laptop should pick it up
    try looking for access point settings. if there is, turn on and it'll just pass the internet through it and give out ips from the ntl router

EDIT: you get a wireless router with ntl with 10mb and 20mb (with a new account anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

To make you life a lot easier, i'd sugest getting a new router.

Get a belkin or linksys.

Your setup should be.

So NTL TV cable into the NTL Blue Modem, Network cable into your Wireless router, Cable/wireless to you computer.

1: NTL Modem.
    2: Wireless Router.
    3: Cabled PC / Wireless Notebook.

Very easy and no messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You may have a dhcp server running on both routers that's causing a conflict, turn it off on one of them, I'd turn it off on the wireless access point but I don't know if that's best practice or not. At the very least set one of the routers to a DHCP client.

I'd actually set the two routers and your laptop to static IP addresses, it helps to know exactly what ip address all the machines on your network have and that they won't change if any box restarts. Especially during setup if your having problems.

There's no reason why they shouldn't work together.

2 dhcp servers would be ok as long as the ip ranges are different.

how are you linking the ntl router to the eircom? through one of the ethernet ports on the eircom router?

• Advertisement

Whats actually happening? Can you see the wireless network but can't connect? Can't see the wireless network at all or can connect but no internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Blinky3J

Hey thanks for all of the quick replys, I've tried running the "phone wire" from the NTL router to the wireless router and it says wireless and the laptop picks up on it but there is no internet connection. This also happens when I run the ethernet from the computer to the wireless router.

Do you know the IP addresses of everything? Most routers work off 192.168.1.xxx but some do work off 192.168.2.xxx if they're in two different ranges they just won't be able to talk to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Blinky3J

:o where can I find that out??

what do you mean by 'phone wire'? a skinny cable or a thick cable?
    normal the eircom router would expect a skinny cable to supply the internet into the phone socket and the internet is shared over wireless and cables

since your internet is coming from the ntl router, you won't have that phone cable, you'll just have a network cable (thicker). plug that cable into one of the 4 (its usually 4) network cable ports.see if it has wireless then. if not you need to turn off the router functionality and just use as access point. not too familar with eircom routers so you might have to get another one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You really would be far better off just getting what is known as a 'cable' wireless router - that is one that has not got a integrated dsl modem like the netopia you are trying to use. The netopia has not got a wan port which is whats used normally to take the connection from the modem to the wireless router.

Various people on here have asked about this from time to time and one or two seem to get it working but you are far better off with a proper wireless router in the long run.

The linksys wrt54gl is often recommended on here.

dub45 wrote: »
    You really would be far better off just getting what is known as a 'cable' wireless router - that is one that has not got a integrated dsl modem like the netopia you are trying to use. The netopia has not got a wan port which is whats used normally to take the connection from the modem to the wireless router.

Various people on here have asked about this from time to time and one or two seem to get it working but you are far better off with a proper wireless router in the long run.

The linksys wrt54gl is often recommended on here.
    Ahh wheres the fun in that. :pac:

Blinky3J wrote: »
    :o where can I find that out??
    You should download the manuals for both, in those manuals it will tell you the default values. It'll tell you how to reset the two routers back to their default values as well so you know your working with those values.

The manuals do help allot when it comes to routers, if you download and have a quick look over them I'd say it would get you a long way to fixing your problem.

Advertisement