Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Lecturer and Assignments

Options
  • 26-11-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

So we have a strange problem in my class..
    Got some results today of our CA's for the last few months and generally while we've received little to no negative feedback (we show it to the lecturer before hand to ask for any issues that might need correcting (as they offered))
    The marks awarded are terrible, leaving us and me wondering what exactly we could be doing wrong and why we weren't informed by the lecturer about these problems...

So I ask you folks whats the best course of action here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Make an appointment with the lecturer to discuss it. Mention that you were disappointed with the mark as you thought you'd fulfilled the expectations of the assignment. Ask him/her, politely, what was lacking and what they think you might do in the future to get a better grade on similar assignments.

If it's a class-wide problem, get together as a group if the above method has no luck and go talk to (or all email) the person in charge of your year/course, and explain that you felt the marks were low across the board and not indicative of your actual performance as a group.

But try the individual talk-to-lecturer method first.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Thanks for your advice.. I had been thinking as such.. but it helps to have outside conformation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

seithon wrote: »
    So I ask you folks whats the best course of action here ?

Certainly talk to the lecturer. Every assignment/assessment should have a marking scheme that explains what the lecturer was looking for. You should be able to have an informal chat about the CA and ask where you lost marks.

It is important to keep things civil, however if you are still not happy, there is usually an appeals process.

Advertisement