Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Octavia VRS

• 26-11-2009 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys

I'm currently looking around for a 03/04 octavia vrs. Anyone got any advice for things to watch for etc? I'm conscious of the timing belt, around the 60k miles mark this should be done shouldn't it?

Aside from that, any other issues? Any owners recommend it?

They seem quite good value at the moment, probably pick one up for less than 7k.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

petrol or diesel??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Apologies for gatecrashing this thread, but are these cars available in Auto Transmission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

At 03 or 04 it'd be the old model, so petrol only, 180bhp 1.8T. No automatic in this VRS. You can get that 1.8T at 150bhp in a non-VRS model with 4WD, and there's probably an auto in that. (might be a UK only model).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Yep, its the older model, so petrol only. I dont do big mileage (10-12k p.a.) so diesel isn't an issue really.

For the price, I think there is good value in these at the moment. I need a family sized saloon / hatchback with having two kids. However, I'd still like something with good poke and fun to drive. This car seems to tick all those boxes while still costing little. Ideally I dont wanna get a big loan to get anything more extravagant with things the way they are at present.

Anyone have other suggestions or advice on this car or others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Biro wrote: »
    At 03 or 04 it'd be the old model, so petrol only, 180bhp 1.8T. No automatic in this VRS. You can get that 1.8T at 150bhp in a non-VRS model with 4WD, and there's probably an auto in that. (might be a UK only model).
    I'm pretty sure the 1.8T 4wd is manual only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

my brother had a 02 one for 3 years great car just keep them maintained ,he had to use a petrol additive because they only run right on high octane petrol if you dont you will get engine managment light coming on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

R.O.R had one for a few years so i'm sure he'll be along with plenty of advice!

AFAIK he loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Apologies for gatecrashing this thread, but are these cars available in Auto Transmission?

In the new model yes

EPM wrote: »
    In the new model yes

Bloody Irish websites are brutal! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Go onto any manufacturers site and the info is there

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Go onto any manufacturers site and the info is there

I haven't got a clue where to start looking!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Theres a 03 one for sale in martin barretts in waterford:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

kasper wrote: »
    he had to use a petrol additive because they only run right on high octane petrol if you dont you will get engine managment light coming on

Well thats not true at all, the ecu will adapt and hold back timing if run on lower octane fuel. Management light was prob because of an underlying problem.
    I run my car on maxol E5, it's 99 octane.

As for vRS's, don't have on ebut I have a car based on the same engine/chassis.

Coil packs give trouble, if one goes replace all 4 as the other will start to fail shortly after.
    Coolant temp sensor can cause problems, if you buy a car replace the sensor with a green one (updated design) and there will be no issues.
    Air flow sensors can give trouble although I have never had one go.
    Look out for boost leaks caused by split pipes, breather pipe on the rocker cover splits and also one under the intake manifold.

Engines are good for big mileage but make sure a good fully synthetic oil is used and changed regularly. Get the water pump replaced along with the t-belt, go for one with a metal impellar as the plastic on is known to crack and lead to overheating.

Sunpension bushings should be checked for wear, front wishbone and arb bushings don't last too long.

And finally, get a remap, transforms the 180bhp engine into something it should have been from the start :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

kasper wrote: »
    my brother had a 02 one for 3 years great car just keep them maintained ,he had to use a petrol additive because they only run right on high octane petrol if you dont you will get engine managment light coming on

It is recommended to run the 1.8T on 98RON but they can run perfectly well on 95RON. If a knock is detected the ecu retards the timing to allow for lower octane fuels. You shouldn't get a MIL warning regardless of which fuel is used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

bet me too it Neil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Neilw wrote: »
    Well thats not true at all, the ecu will adapt and hold back timing if run on lower octane fuel. Management light was prob because of an underlying problem.
    I run my car on maxol E5, it's 99 octane.

As for vRS's, don't have on ebut I have a car based on the same engine/chassis.

Coil packs give trouble, if one goes replace all 4 as the other will start to fail shortly after.
    Coolant temp sensor can cause problems, if you buy a car replace the sensor with a green one (updated design) and there will be no issues.
    Air flow sensors can give trouble although I have never had one go.
    Look out for boost leaks caused by split pipes, breather pipe on the rocker cover splits and also one under the intake manifold.

Engines are good for big mileage but make sure a good fully synthetic oil is used and changed regularly. Get the water pump replaced along with the t-belt, go for one with a metal impellar as the plastic on is known to crack and lead to overheating.

Sunpension bushings should be checked for wear, front wishbone and arb bushings don't last too long.

And finally, get a remap, transforms the 180bhp engine into something it should have been from the start :D
    What sort of bhp would you get from a VRS as a mater of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

bonzos wrote: »
    What sort of bhp would you get from a VRS as a mater of interest?

Standard 180bhp :p

Remapped, about 200-210 depending on the map, add some mods such as intercooler/exhaust/downpipe/cat/turbo intake pipe and you should see 230bhp ish and about 250lb ft torque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Briskoda is a great site for tips, what to look out for, and reviews. It's a dedicated Skoda Forum and well worth searching before you buy.

Unfortunately it's been having major technical problems for the last week (at least), so it mightn't be much good to you. All the info is still there, just a bit harder to get around.

Advertisement