Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen when the Germans say no

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MiniDriver

Look, they export machinery (also high value chemicals) that everybody wants.

If other countries can't afford them they will be willing to barter oil, natural gas, phosphorous, food, etc for them.
    If the Germans are reduced to bartering then they won't be throwing any chump change at Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

westtip wrote: »
    I agree they should pull the plug in the new year and say get on with it folks - you have done nothing but take since joining the EU, and we are fed up with you

This is the usual ignorant repetitive soundbite that irritates me. We have given back ten fold what we have gained from the EU. We got less than 50 Billion from the EU. For the 36 years Ireland has been in the EU, we have been in recession for almost 26 of them. An estimated 200 billions worth of fisheries was signed away to the EU, an estimated 80 Billion worth of gas (incredibly we agreed to do that and import our own) not to mention what Billions we have returned in tax from our Celtic Tiger years. Oh and dont forget that the EU faught our low corporation tax every step of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Irelands problems are of her own making, mostly. An unsophisticated electorate blindly re-elected FF'ers who used their position to look after their own (builders). Unfortuntely they weren't as cute as they believed and were unable to control the beast.

Germans do look on and laugh. But they also understand where we are at, probably better then we do. The situation is recoverable, but only if the electorate grow up. If the electorate vote FF next time, the Germans may just say no to a lost cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

MiniDriver wrote: »
    I think the German economy is a lot less strong than people think - they rely on the export of capital machinery and luxury cars to debt-ridden economies who can no longer afford to buy. In fact it suits them to lend to other European countries as a form of retailer-funding for their own industries.

Ye producing heavy machinery, cars and power plants sounds like an awful business model. Producing things and selling them to others. Terribly weak concept.
    I think they should change their national economy model to building houses instead. Much better plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

This is the usual ignorant repetitive soundbite that irritates me. We have given back ten fold what we have gained from the EU.

Ye right. You make me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MiniDriver

realcam wrote: »
    Ye producing heavy machinery, cars and power plants sounds like an awful business model. Producing things and selling them to others. Terribly weak concept.
    I think they should change their national economy model to building houses instead. Much better plan.
    I find it helps to read about a subject before passing an opinion.

http://fistfulofeuros.net/

http://germaneconomy.blogspot.com/

http://www.euro-area.org/blog/?m=200910

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

An estimated 200 billions worth of fisheries was signed away to the EU...
    Only if you re-define "estimated" to mean "fabricated out of thin air".
    Oh and dont forget that the EU faught our low corporation tax every step of the way.
    Corporation tax is not, has never been, and is unlikely to become an EU competence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

This is the usual ignorant repetitive soundbite that irritates me. We have given back ten fold what we have gained from the EU. We got less than 50 Billion from the EU. For the 36 years Ireland has been in the EU, we have been in recession for almost 26 of them. An estimated 200 billions worth of fisheries was signed away to the EU, an estimated 80 Billion worth of gas (incredibly we agreed to do that and import our own) not to mention what Billions we have returned in tax from our Celtic Tiger years. Oh and dont forget that the EU faught our low corporation tax every step of the way.

thats right , like jesus and the appostles , most of us could have become rich from angling cod this past three decades

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Are people still repeating this nonsense? The real figures for fish caught in Irish waters is about €8.5 billion since 1973, of which we've had about €2.9 billion. We've also had about €2.8 billion from UK waters courtesy of the EU (UK figures are here), so it's hardly a case of Ireland being always on the receiving end.

We haven't given the EU any gas - I have no idea where you get that idea from at all. We have two working gas fields, around the Old Head of Kinsale, and neither of them have anything to do with the EU.

The billions we returned to the EU in VAT haven't ever compensated from the billions we've received - figures are here, Table 10.

Finally, while the other member states (especially France) have complained about our low corporation tax, the EU hasn't done anything whatsoever about it.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

realcam wrote: »
    Ye right. You make me laugh.

You know its better to educate yourself on a subject before you express an oppinion. Otherwise the last laugh will indeed always be on you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

So, soo much drivel in this thread.

Advertisement