Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub £500 cars?

• 26-11-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭

Was looking on cbg.ie earlier and was spotted quite a few decent enough looking runarounds for well under a grand.

Obviously, they're mainly old, small engined, few nicks and scrapes cars (96/97 Fiestas, 106's, Astras etc.). Most of 'em probably need a good service and an NCT but I'm wondering if there's anything else to be concerned about if thinking about getting one for the other half as a run to the shops car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

If youre planning on getting NCT you could run into lots of expensive jobs ...pair of shocks for something japanese and slightly rare could be hundreds...rear brake imbalance on small french cars could break yer heart and wallet...ecu on a small italian etc etc or else just a pile of little jobs could soon turn your 500 euro bargain into a 1500 euro nightmare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Was looking on cbg.ie earlier and was spotted quite a few decent enough looking runarounds for well under a grand.

Obviously, they're mainly old, small engined, few nicks and scrapes cars (96/97 Fiestas, 106's, Astras etc.). Most of 'em probably need a good service and an NCT but I'm wondering if there's anything else to be concerned about if thinking about getting one for the other half as a run to the shops car?

Bangernomics my good man, i'm a subscriber to this wonderfull motoring way of life.

What ya have to look at are the basics.

Driving and running fine?
    Condition of the tyres?
    Timing belt last done?
    NCT and Tax?
    These are very basic things that a half wit can check, most rules apply to buying a car like this the same as buying a 4K car.

Older jap cars are a safe bet, but beware most of 'em have had a hard life, but check the basics and you should be golden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

This months Car Mechanics Magazine has an article on the mk 1 Fiat Punto and they reckon it's the best value in bargain basement motoring. Worth a read if you're looking at this end of the market even if you wouldn't touch a Punto with a barge pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Thanks VB! There really does seem to be some decent little motors out there if you're not bothered about style or number-plate!

Any thoughts on old Fiestas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

You should buy a car not the brand.

So instead of thinking that what would be good car brand to buy, you should see a car and make the decision based on that.

In my eyes, a car with one year NTC and maybe some tax could be worth 500e, if the same car does not have neither of those then it is worth maybe 100e, no more.

And there are things you should always remember to check, like tyres, timing belt are more important than you might think, because they can easily cost the same than the car.

Ready for NTC is usually waste of time and money, if you can get for same money a car with NTC. This because if you can see the NTC paper, you can check right away things like brakes, handbrake etc.

More you know about cars the better, but even you bought a lemon, well at least you did not spend too much money of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

My mate has a 97 Almera 1.5 I think getting ready to put up for sale...Daily run about, has had it most of its life and never gave a spot of bother..PM me if you're interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Sleepy wrote: »
    Any thoughts on old Fiestas?

Watch out for rust (under fuel cap, door seams, a-pillars, etc.), noisy suspension (knocking, squeaking) is probably one or many bushings which could set you back a few hundred depending what needs to be done (rear shock mounts cost the most for me, common failure after about 8-10 years), Endura-E engines (1.3 OHV) can be crap (look for a 1.25).

Non-funtioning rear window demister, rear wiper, or heater stuck on hot or cold are common enough problems but easy fixes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'm gonna be in the market for one next year, so something reasonably large to hold 4 adults comfortably would be the one for me.. diesel would be the preference as I'll be covering a few thousand miles in a short period of time.. lots out there, if only I had the cash now.. :)

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Advertisement