Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black doors

Options
  • 26-11-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Walking over to Superquinn I see there are a lot of doors painted black in the Grove When I bought my house I was glad to see that all the doors and windows where teak and we were not allowed to change them, so my solicitor told me as well. I'm not a crank but if this keeps going, next thing it will be yellow windows and orange walls and we'll look a disater zone. Why don't pepole think before they do things like this and give others an excuse to copy them and why doesn't the managing agent do something? At the Grove AGM we were told we could not paint any other colur and everyone was in agreement.

I asked to have a porch in my house and they would not allow this and that is okay with me, I'm not going to throw my toys out of the pram. I read my leases and I agree to go with the majority.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I would recommend contacting the management company and asking them about the status of the situation.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:

If they own the house surely they can paint it whatever the feck colour you like

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

If they own the house surely they can paint it whatever the feck colour you like

Please read op before commenting.

Especially the agreement part.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Please read op before commenting.

Especially the agreement part.

i did read it. If people are leasing fair enough can't paint it but if you own the house you can paint it whatever colour you want regardless of supposed management agent thinks. Why would they be entitled to have a say about what you do on your property?

Why would anybody buy a house with a condition like that attached to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sparkle*

It is clearly stated in your contract of purchase. It means you are legally bound to keeping your door the same colour as everyone else (varnish). I dont understand why people cant just abide by this like the rest of us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

you have to keep your door the same colours??? living in charlesland sounds like living in communist north korea!!! fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I'm living in the grove and recently had all my outer doors and windows re-varnished with one of the 2 companies recommended by the management company. The colour that was agreed (by the management company) is a really really dark mahogany brown, which at night definately almost appears black. Also when you compare it to the houses that havent re-varnished - their varnish has faded significantly over time making them look very pale, and again making the re-varnished houses look very dark.

I suspect that the colour you're referring to is this one as a number of people in the Grove went with the recommended painters and so have this new colour. So its not against the "rules" or anything like that, its actually the colour the Mgmt Co. requested we use so that everyone looked the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

gar.k wrote: »
    you have to keep your door the same colours??? living in charlesland sounds like living in communist north korea!!! fun!!

These clauses are put in place to protect the aesthetics of the area long term. Go in to many housing estates and you will find a mish mash of different colour houses, some with porches sticking out others with satellite dishes stuck to the front and worst of all (in my opinion) fake stone wall cladding!
    duckieshouse_1.gif

With no restrictions in place some people will do strange things, my Aunt painted her house bright pink - it was a redbrick period house in a row of 12 other identical houses..bonkers. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fat cat

I totally agree with Donal OD. The terms of the lease that we all signed when we purchased our property in Charlesland obliges us not to change the colour scheme or the building shape of our property. Well you might ask what the management company are doing about residents who dont abide by the terms of their lease. It would appear nothing is being done as there are at least five or six houses with different coloured doors in the area. This sets a dangerous precedent and the next thing will be residents changing the colour of the external walls and the uniform appearance of our estate will be ruined forever. The management company sent out a flyer some time ago which I received stating that they intended initiating a maintenance programme for repainting walls and windows in the estate but they didnt proceed with this. There is no programme in place to repaint the exterior of our estate when it becomes necessary shortly. I think that such a programme exists in Charlesland Wood and Court but that is organised by a different management company. Would you call this omission good management ??. Dont tell me though , tell your management agent in the Charlesland Centre what you want in no uncertain terms. No Point whining on boards. Dont talk to the monkey when you can speak to the organ grinder !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mezery2008

Donal,

I am a solicitor living in the Grove and, unless you have a different Lease of Easements to me, your solicitor has misinformed you. There is nothing in the contract that requires your front door to be a particular colour. What the contract says is that if a member intends to redecorate or alter the outside of their property (this includes your garden by the way - front and back) you should be asking for the written consent of the MC. Strictly speaking all home-owners who have relandscaped their gardens/changed their outdoor light fittings, fitted a sky/broadband dish or even hung a garden trellis on their wall without the consent of the MC are in breach of this term! I can't imagine that there are many houses in estate that are NOT technically in breach!

Personally I have no issue with the black doors - in fact I think they look much better than the peeling brown varnish. Maybe we should all follow suit?! At the end of the day, as neighbours, we need to be reasonable and considered in the governance of our estate. Thankfully we live in a free country and I think we need to respect the fact that property owners have the right to put their own individual stamp on their home. Do we really want to live in Stepford?! In any event, planning laws are there for a reason. Someone mentioned stone cladding - radical changes like this generally require planning permission so you are entitled to object to this sort of redecorataion if you find it offensive.

MC's are a new enough concept in Irish law and I think they can sometimes be misunderstood and abused. I really hope that this doesn't happen in Charlesland. It is my personal view that our MC should be used to increase community spirit in the estate, particularly with so many people out of work at the moment. Instead of bickering over door colours could the MC not be used towards a more positive objective - how about working together to organise fun community events to cheer us all up? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Here, here.

In a climate of negative equity and tough times a lot of us ain't movin' any time soon. I'd imagine the colour of doors is just the tip of the iceberg. If we can't move then I'm sure a lot of people will be keen to make the most out of their property which means extensions, conversions, building up, digging down, you name it! We all bought our houses and signed a contract in a very different climate. It seems a bit crazy that considering how much money we paid for our properties that our hands are tied in terms of trying to squeeze out a few extra square feet for a growing family or bringing a bit of personality into our own bricks and mortar.

By the way, community spirit is alive and kicking in Charlesland Park! Neighbours invited us all for coffee and pancakes during the big freeze - a lovely morning was spent getting to know everyone and a barbeque on the green is now on the cards when the weather gets better. Now surely that's better than getting hot under the collar about the colour of your neighbour's door?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Black door colour? How very British (no offence)...Queen Victoria is smiling down on a few houses in Charlesland.

Whats great about these bleeding leases is it gives the moany feckers something to moan about.

this will be locked shortly!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Such is Charlesland the Modern way of Management Companys and Ridicolous Fee's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Thank God for voices of reason - Mezery2008, can I hire you as my brief when the villagers with the torchlights arrive at my door, with the Kangos, to take up the sandstone in my back garden ?!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fat cat

Mezery 2008 makes some interesting points and unwittingly raises some questions about the future of our estate. Firstly, it is my understanding that the Management Company stated that there should be no change of colour scheme. This presumably was in the interest of maintaining the original intended appearance of the estate. If this is not the case ,does this mean that I can paint the external walls of my house and my door a luminous shade of purple for example ?? ! If I paint them purple and my neighbours object,can I tell them to go jump in the lake because other residents have already changed the colour scheme of their property by painting their doors black or pink or yellow etc ?. If this really is the case we can look forward to a chaotic eyesore on the face of greystones . Does anarchy rule or does the Management Company have responsibility for the upkeep of the estate's appearance ? If not .for what are we paying good money ?? There is something not quite right here Mezery !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

This was discussed at the Grove/Park AGM last year - specifically in relation to one member who had built a relatively large building in their back garden but also with reference to the ongoing controversy about satellite dishes.

Whatever the lease says, the only recourse available to the management company to enforce the lease is court action against the offending party. This requires the agreement of the other members of the management company. To this end a vote was taken at the AGM authorising the management agent to take action against transgressing members but the wording of this resolution was (in the opinion of many of those at the meeting) fairly vague.

I can't see CBKW being too keen to instigate potentially very expensive court action against people who have changed the colour of their doors, but if you feel strongly enough about it go to the next AGM and put it on the agenda

WRT people painting their house luminous purple or whatever - is there anything to prevent residents of Hillside, or the Burnaby from doing this? (the original planning permission perhaps, though in the case of the old Burnaby this wouldn't apply).

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

I can't see anything wrong with people painting their doors is'nt it better than looking at faded paint or varnish.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Personally I think they look great! However I think people should be more concerned about the apts and houses who still haven't paid their last years fees!!!

Advertisement