Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to trace CAT5 cable

Options
  • 26-11-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I moved into a new house which had CAT5 cable run from the utility to the tv points in the living room and a bedroom. I have since found two more CAT 5 cables and don't know where they go to.

So how would I trace each cable, is there an easy way to do it without any test equipment?

Thanks,
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi all,

I moved into a new house which had CAT5 cable run from the utility to the tv points in the living room and a bedroom. I have since found two more CAT 5 cables and don't know where they go to.

So how would I trace each cable, is there an easy way to do it without any test equipment?

Thanks,
    Neil.

I would imagine that in order to do any sort of verification of where they go to, you'd need to find the other end first to be able to check if they're connected, so it seems like a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Even with a cable toner (http://www.fluke.ie/comx/show_product.aspx?pid=35295&locale=ieen&product=ELT) you still have to have any idea where they are going...

One place may be to an eircom ETU on the external wall of the house?

Other locations may be to where the elec consultant / electrician thought would be a useful placefor a phone/data outlet - other bedroom, kitchen for a cordless phone - places like that. You will probably find blank sockets over the points.

What will you do with the points - network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

p15574 wrote: »
    I would imagine that in order to do any sort of verification of where they go to, you'd need to find the other end first to be able to check if they're connected, so it seems like a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

I have found all ends, sorry should have made that clearer. Just need to find out which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

if you've got each end found your laughing, Connect each port one by one at the utitily room, and then connect a laptop to each port untill you get an IP address from the router, Once you've done that label the ports

johnciall wrote: »
    if you've got each end found your laughing, Connect each port one by one at the utitily room, and then connect a laptop to each port untill you get an IP address from the router, Once you've done that label the ports

The problem is there are no connections on the cable, just bare wire behind a blanking cover. I don't have a signal tester either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Neilw wrote: »
    The problem is there are no connections on the cable, just bare wire behind a blanking cover. I don't have a signal tester either.
    Since you dont have a toner what you could do is twist a pair of the wires together then get a battery and a bulb and create a simple circuit. You get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

My suggestion to you would be finish the connections. RJ45 or wallplate, as this is going to have to done at some stage.

Plug one wire into your router, if have a laptop(get a loan of one if you dont). Plug it into the end of one of the wires.

Go down check the router, see if you have an green LED (network activity), then label as said room.

If you don't then you know the other cable has to be that room, again mark said label.

Then your done!!

Just a point, why on earth, do people not label there cables. Cause hassle for anyone coming into too do a job. //rant over.

msg11 wrote: »
    My suggestion to you would be finish the connections. RJ45 or wallplate, as this is going to have to done at some stage.

Plug one wire into your router, if have a laptop(get a loan of one if you dont). Plug it into the end of one of the wires.

Go down check the router, see if you have an green LED (network activity), then label as said room.

If you don't then you know the other cable has to be that room, again mark said label.

Then your done!!

Just a point, why on earth, do people not label there cables. Cause hassle for anyone coming into too do a job. //rant over.

Ok let me clarify.

There are some points in the house which have a single cat5 cable, others have two cables.
    Two cables in the utility, two in a bedroom, one in two different locations in the kitchen and two afaik in the living room. No idea where each of these go so looking for an easy way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Do you have a resistance meter? if not not a battery and a suitable bulb will do. Choose a wire (cat5) in your utility room, short say the white/white&blue twisted pair.Now check all the unknown ends with your meter or batt&bulb, on the same colours. Simples!

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Do you have a resistance meter? if not not a battery and a suitable bulb will do. Choose a wire (cat5) in your utility room, short say the white/white&blue twisted pair.Now check all the unknown ends with your meter or batt&bulb, on the same colours. Simples!

Cheers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I wish people would just call network companies, we need the business just like everyone else!!!! seriously though, for anyone reading this and in a similar situation, calling a pro aint expensive!!!

FusionNet wrote: »
    I wish people would just call network companies, we need the business just like everyone else!!!! seriously though, for anyone reading this and in a similar situation, calling a pro aint expensive!!!

So how much would you charge to sort out the problem?

Well most businesses like mine charge around 50+Vat per hour. I know in some areas they charge way more but surely there is someone in your area that would be able to give you a hand. As Ive said in other posts I have about 2 thousand euro of kit that just traces cables and gives me detailed results, that kind of kit makes the job very easy, so in a 50 euro call out your paying for that equipment and hopefully the guy will have years of knowledge too!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

hopefully the guy will have years of knowledge too!!!!

Hopefully . and a website would be nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Can we move back on topic?

This thread was about trying to trace cables. Now it's veered to the cost of kit for tracing cables and for some reason a post about a dead website.

Firstly regarding the topic, ok if you want to trace cables buy a cable tracer like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TEMPO-801K-PREMIUM-TONE-PROBE-CABLE-PAIR-TRACING-KIT_W0QQitemZ170413403039QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET?hash=item27ad6e2b9f

or you could buy and expensive fluke.. I think telling someone to get a buld and a battery is a waste of time. These kinds of tools get the jobs done in minutes where doing it with a multimeter or bulb and battery will take you all day. So thats why Id recommend using a professional in certain situations. This being one, the OP isnt 100% familiar with cabling so its only fair to advise either buy the tools or hiring the guy to do it.

Secondly, regarding the website, its not up becuase Im waiting on my web developer to finish it. Im a very busy guy and cant be a web developer and a cabler and all the other things I do. These websites cost a lot of money and often it takes time to develop such a thing, so enough with the crap on the website, judge me on my cabling, not on my ability to hire a web developer.

Finally,I have nothing to gain by calling to this chap and helping him out, my original point seems to have been lost. If you dont know how to wire an electrical socket call a sparky, if you cant plumb a sink call a plumber and for that reason if you have difficulty with tracing cables call an IT/cable guy. I do my fair share of helping people out here with detailed information on wiring systems etc so Id appreciate less of the personal attacks, lifes tough enough all ready...

And Rory, I didnt post to a dead website, its on my signature and I had a splash site up but when I change my web host the splash page never got replaced, Ill make sure its done straight away so theres no confusion.

Now if anyone has any questions regarding cabling tracing Id love to help but not with equipment from the 1920's..

I think telling someone to get a buld and a battery is a waste of time. These kinds of tools get the jobs done in minutes where doing it with a multimeter or bulb and battery will take you all day. So thats why Id recommend using a professional in certain situations. This being one, the OP isnt 100% familiar with cabling so its only fair to advise either buy the tools or hiring the guy to do it.
    A bit overkill to spend 150 euros to just distinguish two or so cables. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a multimeter or a battery and bulb (if really stuck) and it is not rocket science nor would it take all day to do. Even the slowest person would have it done in 30 minutes. Plus the OP specifically asked "is there an easy way to do it without any test equipment?" and the answer is "Yes".

Maybe the OP wants to learn how to do this. Maybe the OP doesn't want to spend 150 on a tool or even 50-100 euro calling you out.
    If you dont know how to wire an electrical socket call a sparky, if you cant plumb a sink call a plumber and for that reason if you have difficulty with tracing cables call an IT/cable guy.
    There is much less risk in someone attempting to trace a cable themselves (actually just distinguish between 2 or so cables) than there is to wire a socket or plumb a sink without knowing how. You'd swear it was rocket science.

OP: have you got or do you have access to a multimeter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

First of all as a warning to everyone, if you don't like a post please report it rather than dragging threads off topic. I'm sure most if not all of you know how to do it.
    I do my fair share of helping people out here with detailed information on wiring systems etc so Id appreciate less of the personal attacks, lifes tough enough all ready...

I'd be the first to acknowledge the contribution you make and we've discussed this before. As I said above, report posts rather than taking threads further off topic. Myself or Gavin will deal with them.
    And Rory, I didnt post to a dead website, its on my signature and I had a splash site up but when I change my web host the splash page never got replaced, Ill make sure its done straight away so theres no confusion.

Go back and read my post again. I said that the thread had veered into posting about the cost of flukes etc. and for some reason a post about a dead website. I never said you posted to a dead website, Sponge Bob posted the link to your website.

Now I'm off to indulge in some self-flagellation for doing what I've told you all not to do i.e. take the thread off topic.

axer wrote: »
    A bit overkill to spend 150 euros to just distinguish two or so cables. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a multimeter or a battery and bulb (if really stuck) and it is not rocket science nor would it take all day to do. Even the slowest person would have it done in 30 minutes. Plus the OP specifically asked "is there an easy way to do it without any test equipment?" and the answer is "Yes".

Maybe the OP wants to learn how to do this. Maybe the OP doesn't want to spend 150 on a tool or even 50-100 euro calling you out.

There is much less risk in someone attempting to trace a cable themselves (actually just distinguish between 2 or so cables) than there is to wire a socket or plumb a sink without knowing how. You'd swear it was rocket science.

OP: have you got or do you have access to a multimeter?

To answer some of your questions :)
    Yes I was looking for a cheap and easy way to trace where the cables go, I don't have any dedicated line test equipment nor do I want to spend the money on something that will be used once.

I do have a multimeter and plan on using the battery method mentioned earlier in the thread plus the multimeter to check the other ends of the cables.

Thanks for the advice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Cheap and easy way to do this is.. go to maplins get a cable tester for €16 a battery for €3. If one end is un-terminated put an RJ45 on it and slap on one end of cable tester and if the other end is terminate just jump down thru the patch panel til you get lights.

Warning on that tho make sure you have nothing that uses a nic or a termination back to the panel plugged in or turned on as it will give you a false positive.

• Advertisement

Axer:

Im sorry but I think those methods are a pian especially when there is tons of kit out there even if you ask a guy a favour to borrow it. Ill give you an example. I was at a house recently with a similar set up to OP. It took me 1 hour even with proper kit to figure out what the hell the sparkys had done!!! They had looped stuff all over the place, was a nightmare, so my point on the bulbs was that it could take a lot of time...

Rmacm:
    Sorry I miss understood your post, Ive gotten slagging here from people before because i dont have an amazing website and it gets tiring. I didnt mean to take it out on you.

Roryq:
    Great advice...

And to others:
    For the record Ive advised the original poster that I am in that area for contract work with other clients that I will pop by and have a look for the price of a large tea, and maybe a biscuit or two!!! Im all for good karma and hope others will follow suit.. Lifes too short for lost cables...

Axer:

Im sorry but I think those methods are a pian especially when there is tons of kit out there even if you ask a guy a favour to borrow it. Ill give you an example. I was at a house recently with a similar set up to OP. It took me 1 hour even with proper kit to figure out what the hell the sparkys had done!!! They had looped stuff all over the place, was a nightmare, so my point on the bulbs was that it could take a lot of time...
    I would not take long for just 2 or 3 cables when the OP already knows where the ends of the cables are. If someone wants to do it on the cheap and spend those extra few minutes testing then that is their choice. I already have the tools and would purchase just because I know I would use them a few times a year but not everyone would use them again. If I was stuck and needed a method urgently then I would have no problem using a multimeter (or if really really stuck) a bulb and battery. Its only a continuity test after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RockyTwoArms

Or if you have a stereo with speaker cable connection and speakers you can also test a few lines quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

Just to add one tidbit that might be useful - I have found that ethernet cable is often marked with a meter number, that increments by one every meter along the cable. As it happens there is a roll on the floor next to me, it has "2049M E158012UTP 4PR 24AWG ..." printed on the end, then a meter further along "2050M E158012UTP 4PR 24AWG ...", etc.

If your cables are marked in a similar way, and if there is enough slack showing that you can actually read the numbers, you can figure out which end goes with which.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

This thread is old. Seems that Eoghan is still waiting on that web developer though.

Advertisement