Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Makita back at B&Q

• 26-11-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭

B&Q have just reduced their Makita 18 volt drill plus 3 batteries & 30 min charger from €258 to €117. Brilliant Xmas pressie !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Is that in al stores? It it in Athlone folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Don't know but Galway has them. A guy was going mental at the CS desk as he had bought 2 of them last week !

I have one & it's a nice drill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Did you get the model number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Discodog wrote: »
    I have one & it's a nice drill

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Have they the dewalt for the same money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Kenny DNK

Theres an ad in the athlone advertiser for an 18v dewalt in BQ for around that money..

2 x 18V dewalt for 300 in caulfields too

ya can check out the digital edition of the paper on www.advertiser.ie/athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Is that in al stores? It it in Athlone folks?
    Athlone store had it marked at 117 on shelf alright, not sure if they are in stock though. They also have the dewalt 100ka 18V hammer drill reduced from 258 to 124 euro as posted above. Even at reduced prices not really great offer, ni-cd batteries and only 1.3ah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Have the dewalt and the makita.

Want to pick up another dewalt, excellent drill.

Would recommend people getting the dewalt over the makita, as much as I like makita, the dewalt is a superior drill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

mayto wrote: »
    Athlone store had it marked at 117 on shelf alright, not sure if they are in stock though. They also have the dewalt 100ka 18V hammer drill reduced from 258 to 124 euro as posted above. Even at reduced prices not really great offer, ni-cd batteries and only 1.3ah.

Ni-Cd is the best battery for the high use professional, Li-Ion doesn't cut the mustard at all in the pro ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Ni-Cd is the best battery for the high use professional, Li-Ion doesn't cut the mustard at all in the pro ranks.

Thats not the case ,milwaukee ,panasonic and hitachi all make decent li-ion gear.
    The ni-cd stock has been around a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

Ni-Cd is the best battery for the high use professional, Li-Ion doesn't cut the mustard at all in the pro ranks.[/QUOTE

Well I would prefer a ni-mh battry over ni-cd. No memory effect and should give more torque. There is surely some good li-on hammer drills out there now. Would like to try this one out :Dhttp://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=163214 . It actually has the same impact force as my corded Bosch gbh-2-26, but slightly dearer http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=124381

Sorry yes NiMh is what I was thinking of not NiCd

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Went down to Waterford B&Q this evening on the look for the Makita that the OP mentioned. They didn't seem to have any in stock but what they did have was tons of the DeWalt DC100KA that another poster mentioned. It was listed at €124 which was tempting, but then along came a staff member who said I could have it for €100 if I bought it there and then ... which I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Sorry yes NiMh is what I was thinking of not NiCd

In fairness NiCd will do as much as most DIY'ers will need.
    I still have a 14.4 NiCd DeWalt I got when I started out in 98

cork45 wrote: »
    In fairness NiCd will do as much as most DIY'ers will need.
    I still have a 14.4 NiCd DeWalt I got when I started out in 98

You bought quality so its hardly surprising it still works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

johnwd wrote: »
    Went down to Waterford B&Q this evening on the look for the Makita that the OP mentioned. They didn't seem to have any in stock but what they did have was tons of the DeWalt DC100KA that another poster mentioned. It was listed at €124 which was tempting, but then along came a staff member who said I could have it for €100 if I bought it there and then ... which I did.

cork ****ers. I bought the same one in cork for 125. still a good price at 125 though I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

johnwd wrote: »

I was looking at the Dewalt DC100KA up in B&Q in Belfast a week ago but it was 2 x batteries. The Makita the OP linked to has 3 x batteries. So how does the deal stack up now?

Dewalt + 2 x batteries @ €100 - €125
    v
    Makita + 3 x batteries @ €117

Due to pick something up in the coming days.

• Advertisement

Popped into B&Q today on the Belgard Road and loads of the Dewalt @ €125 there and Makita @ €117.

Anyone have any opinions on the Dewalt v the Makita?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

cargo wrote: »
    Popped into B&Q today on the Belgard Road and loads of the Dewalt @ €125 there and Makita @ €117.

For trade use I've always used Dewalt and never had a bit of bother,Having a Dewalt service centre local to me is a big plus as well, I picked up the Makita the first time the offer was on at B&Q and it's a fine tool for home use.
    One thing to check is that the Dewalt has a 13mm chuck like the Makita.

cork45 wrote: »
    For trade use I've always used Dewalt and never had a bit of bother,Having a Dewalt service centre local to me is a big plus as well, I picked up the Makita the first time the offer was on at B&Q and it's a fine tool for home use.
    One thing to check is that the Dewalt has a 13mm chuck like the Makita.

Yeah 13mm chuck on both. Very simillar specs. Only differences I spotted were the Makita comes with one battery more than the Dewalt and the Dewalt has max torque of 44nm v 42nm for the Dewalt.

Yeah would ahve thought the Dewalt was a good trade tool allright but thought I could rem hearing they weren't as good as previously but that could be just the voices in my head again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

cargo wrote: »
    Popped into B&Q today on the Belgard Road and loads of the Dewalt @ 125 there and Makita @ 117.

I put the question to some buddies who paid dues as chippies and they said dewalt is a generally higher standard than makita and the better brand to rely on

Advertisement