Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Sale

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

You dont need to install it I think.

ah f*ck...

what the hell is GameSpy anyway? Some form of DRM?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ah f*ck...

It provides some server search features and the like, its not DRM as far as I am aware.

Im not really sure though . . . I never install it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

ah f*ck...

No. Just a tool for getting muliplayer games set up with friends. I think it also notifies you about patches for your games. Not much different than an IM client. If you've used xfire, it's fairly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

What's DMC4 like? Haven't played the series since no.2 on the PS2 years ago.
    Might grab Mass Effect just to have on Steam. I know my cd is fuxxed so if I ever need to re-install I have a rigmarole to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

How long did it take for people to do everything in mass effect? I've heard good things about it, but can't really invest huge amounts of time.
    Also, anyone played the sam & maxes? I heard some of them were good, but didn't realise there were so many chapters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Monotype wrote: »
    How long did it take for people to do everything in mass effect? I've heard good things about it, but can't really invest huge amounts of time.

Not answering your question, but very little outside the main quest is any good. It's the same, bland crap on most of the planets you can land on. The Mako (vehicle) controls are so bad, they dissuade you from wanting to explore.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Nevore wrote: »
    What's DMC4 like? Haven't played the series since no.2 on the PS2 years ago.
    Might grab Mass Effect just to have on Steam. I know my cd is fuxxed so if I ever need to re-install I have a rigmarole to go through.

Sure just use your existing CD key to import it into Steam, no need to rebuy it.
    Go to the games menu in the Games window of Steam and pick Activate.
    Monotype wrote: »
    Also, anyone played the sam & maxes? I heard some of them were good, but didn't realise there were so many chapters!

You can get thru the main quest quite quick but you can also spend a lot of time at it too. The quest is laid out in a way that once you've completed it you can cut corners on a second play. A lot of the side quests are pretty much copy/paste planets with copy/paste buildings which is annoying.

Definitely worth a punt tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kind of a word of warning. As far a Mass Effect goes anyway.

The main problem with buying Mass Effect on Steam is that if you want to play the sequel (Mass Effect 2) you will have to purchase it on Steam too to allow you to carry over your save game from the first one. Which means forking out AT LEAST €49.99 since the Euro pricing on Steam is, for the most part, out of control.
    Just something to think about before you jump in, wallet first.

Kinda tempted by Sam and Max myself but I know I will never get around to playing through them.
    Anyone play through them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The main problem with buying Mass Effect on Steam is that if you want to play the sequel (Mass Effect 2) you will have to purchase it on Steam too to allow you to carry over your save game from the first one. Which means forking out AT LEAST €49.99 since the Euro pricing on Steam is, for the most part, out of control.

Crap.Do you have to/is it necessary to carry your saves over?

5uspect wrote: »
    Sure just use your existing CD key to import it into Steam, no need to rebuy it.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement

Crap.Do you have to/is it necessary to carry your saves over?
    As far as I know, it's not neccessary. Mass Effect 2 will allow you to start a game fresh. But for those of us who have the first one can start ME2 using the character we created from the first on, carrying over the party/characters/choices. So if someone died in the first game on you, then they will be absent on from the second one etc.

This really only becomes a problem if EA/Bioware price the game like a lot of the other games on Steam, at €49.99. Also, I doubt the save games will be compatible between the Steam ME1 game and the retail ME2 game.

Suppose. Just wait and see what happens when it's released.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Kinda tempted by Sam and Max myself but I know I will never get around to playing through them.

Does it make a huge difference tho? I remember reading that your imported character is at the same level as a virgin character but there are different levelling paths available.

Also see above re importing...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its more from a story point that makes the save game important. Different decisions during your ME1 playthrough will have different results in your ME2 playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

This really only becomes a problem if EA/Bioware price the game like a lot of the other games on Steam, at €49.99. Also, I doubt the save games will be compatible between the Steam ME1 game and the retail ME2 game.

I'd be surpised at the 50 euro price point tbh, I'd put in the league of MW2 on steam, 60 euro. It's going to be popular after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Kiith wrote: »
    Its more from a story point that makes the save game important. Different decisions during your ME1 playthrough will have different results in your ME2 playthrough.

They're outlined a few of the differences awhile ago, like with a new game they assume you didn't save Wrex and choose particular things at the end of ME and a few other choices during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

5uspect wrote: »

Lads, it's not on the list, pretty certain this won't work.

Thanks for the heads-up. Don't they save on your harddrive? I had a quick look around, and both versions seem to dump in my documents, but there's conflicting info going around. It won't be a worry for me anyway, as it would probably be two years time before I get to ME2, which will hopefully €3 by that stage. New steam games are such a rip-off, no wonder they can sell them temptingly cheap later on.

+1 Re anyone with experience on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

The main problem with buying Mass Effect on Steam is that if you want to play the sequel (Mass Effect 2) you will have to purchase it on Steam too to allow you to carry over your save game from the first one.

You sound very sure of yourself. What are you basing this assumption on?

The following thread gives me hope that you are mistaken: [Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Fnz wrote: »

Yeah that's actually not true as far as I know. The game game doesn't make save files in the steam folder. They're put into my documents which should be the same as the retail copy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah that's actually not true as far as I know. The game game doesn't make save files in the steam folder. They're put into my documents which should be the same as the retail copy.

Aye, thats usually the case with most games on Steam that do not use Steamworks/are not Steam exclusives. Most games are identical to their retail counter-parts, meaning save files will be located in the same place as retail installs.

Just looking at my own system now, that is the case with Battlefield 2, Oblivion, Morrowind, UT3, Fallout 3, Company of Heroes and Borderlands.

• Advertisement

Fnz wrote: »

It appears I am mistaken then. Apologise for any confusion lads.:o

No worries.

Ok countdown! This is the last day of the sale, afaik right?
    Should be something good in there, to cap it all off with a bang

C&C red Alert 3 24.99 -> 8.49
    Trine 19.99 -> 4.99
    Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind GOTY 19.99 -> 4.99
    Counter-Strike:Source 19.99 -> 4.99

Todays stuff:

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - 8,49€ | 66% Off!

Counter-Strike: Source - 4,99€ | 75% Off!

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition - 4,99€ | 75% Off!

Trine - 4,99€ | 75% Off!

Painkiller: Collectors Pack - XX | 75% Off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Morrowind GOTY - €4.99
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert - €8.49
    Trine - €4.99
    Counter-Strike Source - €4.99

None of them interest me really.

New set of deals tomorrow too, "up to 80% off through January 3rd"

One thing that strikes me as decent value is the valve pack which is €67.49.
    It includes all valves games including the two Left for Deads.
    Includes: Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Ricochet, Half-Life, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2

That reminds me... finish morrowind. Don't think there's anything there I need. I bought C&C3 and barely started it!

Maybe they might put more up, four seems a bit low.
    Painkiller: Collectors Pack - XX | 75% Off

Did they take that down?
    New set of deals tomorrow too, "up to 80% off through January 3rd"

Wahoo!
    One thing that strikes me as decent value is the valve pack which is €67.49.
    It includes all valves games including the two Left for Deads.

That is pretty good value, especially with l4d2, but it pisses me off that they have a price for DMC, TFC, DOD, (ricochet as well?), when they were mods for half-life. If you were paying full price for those, you'd be paying over €20 for a nearly 12 year old game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hmm tempted to buy morrowind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

ALL THE DEALS ARE BACK. ZOMG

Edit: Only some are back lol :(

Yeah some repeats today:

Killing Floor - 4,49€ | 75% Off!

BioShock™ - 4,99€ | 75% Off!

Grand Theft Auto IV - 7,49€ | 75% Off!

Defense Grid: The Awakening - 2,25€ | 75% Off!

Torchlight - 3,99€ | 75% Off!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - 2,--€ | 90% Off!

Left 4 Dead 2 - 33,49€ | 33% Off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Bit disappointing if you've been following the deals daily, but handy if you've missed one or two of the big ones like GTA IV such.

Nice while it lasted.

Advertisement