Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Sale

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

BostonB wrote: »
    I've avoided steam for years. Is it ok now? No problems?

Steam is by far the best digital distribution service in existence.

I hated it back when HL2 came out as I was stuck behind a college firewall and it was a pain to use but it has really grown in recent years.

It has issues with pricing such as €1 = $1 and some very expensive games that can be had cheaper in bricks and mortar but this sale is a good example of the great value it offers.

Also new additions like the ingame overlay are great. For example you can browse the web in game without having to alt-tab out (which some games don't like doing).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

as much as i hated the steam platform, i had no choice but to come to terms and enjoy it for what it is. now i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Nevore wrote: »
    The complete pack with all 4 expansions vs Plays 2 is 13.60 on Steam. Not bad, considering.

Right, but Steam was selling the Beyond the Sword expansion pack, alone, for €6,79 at the time I posted - a expansion that's included in the play.com offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Street Fighter® IV : was 37,99€ now 9,49€
    Multiwinia + Darwinia: was 14,99€ now 2,99€
    Medieval II: Total War™: was 9,99€ now 2,49€
    Half-Life: Source: was 9,99€ now 2,49€
    Shattered Horizon: was 19.99, now 4.99

Hmm, I have M+D, Medieval II and HL:S already. No interesting in fighting games. Shattered Horizon gets medium-good reviews at http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/shatteredhorizon, but note you need Vista/Windows 7 _and_ a DX10 card to play it. Might take a punt on it.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Another drawback is that you can't get second hand steam games/sell steam games, since it's bound to your account.
    I'm not a big fan of steam, but I'll go to the dark side if a game is considerably cheaper than the hard copy.

Medieval II: Total War™ 2,49€
    Half-Life: Source 2,49€
    Street Fighter® IV 9,49€
    Multiwinia + Darwinia 2,99€
    Shattered Horizon 4,99€

Hmmm... half-life source reminds me- Damn... Black Mesa Source still isn't out! Hope it comes soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

oceanclub wrote: »
    Shattered Horizon gets medium-good reviews at http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/shatteredhorizon, but note you need Vista/Windows 7 _and_ a DX10 card to play it. Might take a punt on it.

I have it. It's fun to dip into how and again and the zero grav makes for some very interesting gameplay, not to mention it looks stunning. However, there isn't enough variation in weapons and levels to keep me coming back to it for long. Still, there are much worse ways to spend a €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Crysis is there aswell. The complete pack for €20

Crysis Maximum Edition - 66% Off

Waiting has paid off a little, was hoping for 10 or under for just crysis. I care not for the other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mantel wrote: »
    I care not for the other games.

Warhead is superior to Crysis in nearly every way. It's a much more rounded game. Crysis: Wars is also actually a very good online game, don't know why more people aren't into it. It can be as tactical as Battlefield or OTT fun like Quake depending on which mode you play.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

crysis wars is actually the best of the lot. its very good online. well worth it.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Warhead is superior to Crysis in nearly every way. It's a much more rounded game. Crysis: Wars is also actually a very good online game, don't know why more people aren't into it. It can be as tactical as Battlefield or OTT fun like Quake depending on which mode you play.

I tried Crysis: Warhead flavour thanks to a friend and something happened that tainted my game. All the speach stuff happened on top of each other so I got to listen to the several mission objectives at the same time or at least something along those lines, the same person talking over themselves left a mark that steared me away from crysis for awhile. It also felt like Operation Flashpoint did for me, I wandered around and didn't have a clue what was happening for awhile.

Thanks to Mech Warrior I'll hopefully be playing crysis and the warhead flavour and enjoy it! :) and of course stomping on things with a mech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yay for the Crysis! Boo for the bank balance!

(had been eyeing up the maximum edition for a while now, but couldn't see it for under €30 anywhere)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

they did it again today where they had prices dearer for games and then changed them down
    HL source was 7.49 and SFIV was about 20 euro, are they deliberately doing it to get early purchasers?

superfly wrote: »
    they did it again today where they had prices dearer for games and then changed them down
    HL source was 7.49 and SFIV was about 20 euro, are they deliberately doing it to get early purchasers?

They probably have a sale discount anyway and the sale of the day is slow to catch up. Kinda like how most people that where first on the page missed the crysis discount. If they don't look again half an hour later they don't see it and wonder what everyone is talking about and don't realise until it's too late.

Best thing with steam, if it's too cheap to be true, buy it. If it's on sale and the price is meh, wait an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I thought the price had fallen for crysis maximum edition in general, obviously I was wrong.

I bought the disk version for £12 in september off sendit (Price raised and sold out now) But cant find it anywhere near that price now

EDIT: sorry never mentioned it was the maximum edition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

oceanclub wrote: »
    Shattered Horizon: was 19.99, now 4.99

God damn it, I only bought this the other feckin day for 20, balls.

Crysis is there aswell. The complete pack for €20

Crysis Maximum Edition - 66% Off

Waiting has paid off a little, was hoping for 10 or under for just crysis. I care not for the other games.

Yeah I'm interested in getting crysis just for that mechwarrior mod. hmmm.

Possibly a niche issue but just a heads up if you are thinking of buying the Crysis pack, the original Crysis has the support for running in 64bit mode removed (for some unknown reason :confused:) but Crysis: Warhead still has 64bit support.

Also the Crysis benchmark tool does not work with the Steam version of Crysis.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Possibly a niche issue but just a heads up if you are thinking of buying the Crysis pack, the original Crysis has the support for running in 64bit mode removed (for some unknown reason :confused:) but Crysis: Warhead still has 64bit support.

Also the Crysis benchmark tool does not work with the Steam version of Crysis.

My fully patched non-Steam Crysis still has 64 bit executables.
    I thought that Warhead had 64bit support removed and it was added after it was patched?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

Whoo-Hoo 'Evil Genius' on the PC for €2:D

It's a silly game, but can pass the time and for €2 cant go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

well I'm on win7 64 so cheers for the heads up. I might buy crysis just for that mechwarrior mod. Reckon its worth it?

Picked up Shattered Horizon today.
    I could only connect to one server and I can't figure out how to create a local server to get used to the controls before I spew ny noobness all over space.

From what littlw I've played it's a fun game, runs pretty well too.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    My fully patched non-Steam Crysis still has 64 bit executables.
    I thought that Warhead had 64bit support removed and it was added after it was patched?

Yeah, the non-steam version of Crysis still has 64bit support. Valve have never really released a valid reason as to why Crysis in steam has the 64bit support removed, but Warhead doesn't.

Warhead has always had 64bit support, but you could not connect to online with it due to an incompatibility with GameSpy, so it tended to force 32bit mode (you could select it manually be clicking on the 64bit exe in the games directory). I think this issue was resolved with the patch though
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    well I'm on win7 64 so cheers for the heads up. I might buy crysis just for that mechwarrior mod. Reckon its worth it?

The game will run in 32bit mode fine. I think you just lose a few FPS and better memory utilization by not being able to run in 64bit mode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got a new 3v voucher the other day and steam wont accept it,anyone else having the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Im getting errors trying to use paypal too, their payment system must be shagged

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pain in the ass,were missing all the good offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Portal - (€14.99) €3.75
    Mass Effect - (€14.99) €3.75
    Devil May Cry 4 - (€19.99) €14.99
    Sam & Max Complete - (€59.99) €14.99
    DOOM Pack Complete - (€39.99) €13.59
    RedLynx Trials 2: Second Edition - (€9.99) €2.49

wow 3.75 for mass effect,good deal.

Ugh, steam crysis comes with Gamespy crap :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Ugh, steam crysis comes with Gamespy crap :/

You dont need to install it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ooooh... Great price for Trials 2!
    Have been too stingy to buy Trials HD for the 360, so this will do me nicely instead!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I got a new 3v voucher the other day and steam wont accept it,anyone else having the same problem?

I have one too, sometimes I get purchase declines with it but when I try again in a few minutes it seems to process successfully.

Advertisement