Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feral cat just been neutered

Options
  • 26-11-2009 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

We have a feral cat that we feed every day and we brought him to the vet this evening to be neutered. He is currently sleeping it off in our bathroom, covered in a towel with a litter tray and a fluffy bed beside him. But not sure how he will react once he comes around! Also wondered has anyone else had a feral cat done as not sure what happens now with the stitches. as he is feral, i would hope not to have to catch him again to bring him back in. Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Bitsie wrote: »
    We have a feral cat that we feed every day and we brought him to the vet this evening to be neutered. He is currently sleeping it off in our bathroom, covered in a towel with a litter tray and a fluffy bed beside him. But not sure how he will react once he comes around! Also wondered has anyone else had a feral cat done as not sure what happens now with the stitches. as he is feral, i would hope not to have to catch him again to bring him back in. Any advice appreciated!

If he's feral the vet may have used dissolving stitches. If not, he may do what my two did and pick the stitches out himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

the vet never mentioned the stitches and i forgot to ask. silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

Male cats do not require stitches when neutered;)

oh right really?? so its just an open wound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

. Male Cats
    Once anaesthetised, the hair is plucked from the cat's scrotum, which is then cleaned with an antibacterial wash. The scrotum is incised, the testicle removed, and the spermatic cord tied. (The spermatic cord consists of the tubes which take sperm away from the testicle, and blood vessels which supply the testicle). The procedure is repeated for the second testicle. The cat is injected with antibiotic, and a pain killer. There are no sutures.

:o Sorry fella's........lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just to say - well done on taking care of a feral!

I'm glad you have a litter tray for him - I brought a feral male cat for neutering and he peed in my car on the way home - took about 6 months for me to get rid of the smell!! :D

Once he has slept off the anaethetic (your vet probably told you to keep him inside for a day & night), he'll be grand to let outside again. The op. doesn't seem to affect cats at all from what I've seen.

well at the moment he has crawled into the little space behind the toilet where the duct is, he seems warm and cosy in there but hasnt come out since early this morning except i think to nibble on a small piece of sausage i left for him.....is this normal? Going to keep him in again tonight and then let him out tomorrow...if he comes out!!

Advertisement