Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house security

Options
  • 26-11-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

what are the best ways to secure your house against burglars? (hope i'm posting in the correct place).
    apart from the usual house alarm, keep doors locked, make sure there's no easy access, what is there? alot of people have house alarms and still get broken into.
    is there another way to send messages to potential thugs that your house is no good for breaking into?
    by presenting our houses in a particular way on the outside can we subliminally influence potential thieves? i know that sounds silly. but how can i protect my house and those living in it when i have not the faintest idea of what goes through the mind of a typical loser type that would steal and/or harm others.
    thankfully and touch wood ,my home has never been broken into and i have a dog which i know people say are good to have for home security (although my dog would probably lick they're faces if they broke in!).
    people who steal ect...possably may have spent time in prison which if what i read is correct is like a schoolhouse where the trades of crime can be learnt. is there such a thing on the outside for those of us lawabiding types that can counteract what these guys are learning on the inside?
    i know my post sounds ridiculous....but its a serious question and one on my mind, considering the time of year and our crisis economic situation.
    with thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One suggestion is to get a dog.

Know your neighbours.

Install outdoor lights.

Use anti-climb paint on the tops of walls.

Use curtains to keep nosy people out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Monitored security alarms are also a good idea; I'm with Top security and find them brilliant. I've set my alarm off coming home pissed the odd night and they ring me straight away.

Put up side gates and padlock them. Consider bars on secluded accessible windows. Lights on a timer aren't a bad idea either if you're away a lot.

As previously mentioned a dog is a serious deterrent. Having a solid front door helps also. Consider double doors if possible....eg an outside door and an inside door. Don't leave the key in the door on the inside; don't leave your car keys in a prominent place. Invest in a safe for valuables and bolt it down somewhere secure and hidden. Put blinds etc to good use and don't leave valuables in prominent places that are visible thru windows etc. Lock internal doors if going away overnight etc. Don't leave windows on vent when out of the house either.

If ever having antiques etc valued be sure not to give your actual address when showing them the item/photos of the item; stuff like that has a nsaty habit of disappearing in the aftermath of such instances.

Be sure to keep any outdoor sheds that contain anything which would aid a break in well secured and locked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

One thing I learnt the hard way was to ensure you secure your wheelie bins to the ground or to your house. I bolted a hook to the wall and I have the bins chained to it so they cannot be used to climb upon to get into an upstairs window

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

don't leave your car keys in a prominent place.

This one I don't get. I'd advise the opposite.

If people are breaking into your house because they want your car keys badly, I would rather they find them in the hall or kitchen, than come upstairs and threaten my family with baseball bats and knives just for a hunk of insured metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

spockety wrote: »

If people are breaking into your house because they want your car keys badly, I would rather they find them in the hall or kitchen, than come upstairs and threaten my family with baseball bats and knives just for a hunk of insured metal.

I completely agree.
    I always make sure there is nothing expensive left in my car and i leave the keys downstairs.

I would be freaked out enough knowing someone was in my house.
    The last thing i want is to give them any reason to come upstairs looking for car keys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

True, but then make sure your car keys and house keys are on the same bunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

There is a product ( google fake tv light) that makes it look like someone is at home watching the telly, its very energy efficient and could be set up in a front room, maybe upstairs, on a timer. Burglars would much rather break into a house that looks empty.

Consider bars on secluded accessible windows.
    Make sure you don't over-do this and compromise fire escapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

spockety wrote: »

I second this. If you come downstairs in the morning to find your car gone, it's not great, but it's better than waking up at night with a knife to your throat, and someone demanding your car keys.

the_syco wrote: »
    I second this. If you come downstairs in the morning to find your car gone, it's not great, but it's better than waking up at night with a knife to your throat, and someone demanding your car keys.

I should have been clearer in my initial post; I'm referring to not leaving your keys in a prominent place when you yourself are out of the house; obviously I can understand and agree with the personal safety aspect in the other instance.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Make sure you don't over-do this and compromise fire escapes.

Obviously. Its deffo worth doing in secluded windows of a bungalow tho; especially somewhere where access would be easy and concealed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Use anti-climb paint on the tops of walls.

What's that? never heard of it before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-climb_paint

It seems its not dissimilar to axle grease.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Might want to get some public liability insurance to go along with it.....!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd say that's some mess to clean off you!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kearnsr wrote: »
    I'd say that's some mess to clean off you!
    Yup. And in the dark, you'lll think it's just water, and wipe it on your clothes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If ever having antiques etc valued be sure not to give your actual address when showing them the item/photos of the item; stuff like that has a nsaty habit of disappearing in the aftermath of such instances.

I'm shocked and disgusted at that! :mad:

mikemac wrote: »
    I'm shocked and disgusted at that! :mad:

Horrible but true unfortunately; especially if it's something of decent value:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Some useful graphs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

grizzly wrote: »
    Some useful graphs...

Interesting about apts there Grizzly, is that the norm? (very low break-in %)

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Its difficult to get in through the sixth floor window. :)

Apartments also tend to be of newer stock with better doors and windows and are in supervised urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

gurramok wrote: »

I can only say from my limited experience, but I'd say apartments are generally more secure; less access points, more witness, more doors to bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was thinking of ground flr apts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

A dog would be my number one choice. All the houses on my road have been burgled at least once over the last 30+ years, yet ours hasn't. Obviously I can't say for sure but I'd say the dog is a large part of that. We've always had very yappy small dogs. They bark even in the middle of the night when people are entering other peoples' houses, let alone thinking of coming in our gate. They seem to have astonishing senses. Most of the time they'll only bark when there are strangers on our road. They know the footsteps/smell or whatever it is they use, of neighbours.

You might laugh but rather than big gaurd dogs, I'd recommend Pomeranians, Cocker Spaniels, Jack Russels etc. Much more alert and agressive.

Advertisement