Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issues with 407

• 26-11-2009 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone might have an idea whats wrong with my 407 at present.

Basically the air-con is not great at the moment. But the most annoying thing that when I have it on, and the car is stationery, fumes (smells like exhaust fumes, pretty toxic)seem to be coming into the cabin. I don't have this problem when the car is moving.

I am intending to bring it in to get it sorted but I 'd like to have some sort of idea what money it's going to cost to sort it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Hi hawker,
    What engine have you got...??
    If its the 1.6 hdi then the fumes maybe coming from one of the
    injector seals which will create a blackish carbon like substance around
    the offending injector.have a look under the engine cover....:)
    As for the aircon some members here had a similiar issues....:rolleyes:
    http://www.407owners.com/forums/
    Ron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Row wrote: »
    Hi hawker,
    What engine have you got...??
    If its the 1.6 hdi then the fumes maybe coming from one of the
    injector seals which will create a blackish carbon like substance around
    the offending injector.have a look under the engine cover....:)
    As for the aircon some members here had a similiar issues....:rolleyes:
    http://www.407owners.com/forums/
    Ron.

Fair play to you because now that you mention it there does seem to be a black carbon substance ok. Rather stupid of me to ignore that. Yea it's the 1.6hdi ok.

Is that a serious issue? Am I doing damage by staying driving it?

Appreciate the reply.

The seals can be got from Peugeot and i think the work out around
    15-20euro for all four seals....:eek:
    I had the same issue with one of my injector seals,It takes alittle time
    to remove the black carbon from around the injector,when thats done
    you have to remove the commonrail pipes and injector connectors.
    Remember there anything upto 1200bar pressure on the commonrail when the engine is running...:eek:...so after the engine is turned off wait for a 20mins or so.
    some of these injectors can be difficult to remove so if you don't feel up to it then i guess your local mechanic may help out...:)
    when the injector is removed you will find a copper washer on bottom were the injector sits into.
    The only issue with driving it for to long it may damage the bottom where the seal sits into the head..so don't leave it to long...:)

On the diagram No 7 is the copper injector seal,
    8 is a protector and 9 is an oil seal....i think when you order the seals they all come in a kit.
    Ron.

40716hdiinjectors-seals.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Row wrote: »
    The seals can be got from Peugeot and i think the work out around
    15-20euro for all four seals....:eek:
    I had the same issue with one of my injector seals,It takes alittle time
    to remove the black carbon from around the injector,when thats done
    you have to remove the commonrail pipes and injector connectors.
    Remember there anything upto 1200bar pressure on the commonrail when the engine is running...:eek:...so after the engine is turned off wait for a 20mins or so.
    some of these injectors can be difficult to remove so if you don't feel up to it then i guess your local mechanic may help out...:)
    when the injector is removed you will find a copper washer on bottom were the injector sits into.
    The only issue with driving it for to long it may damage the bottom where the seal sits into the head..so don't leave it to long...:)

On the diagram No 7 is the copper injector seal,
    8 is a protector and 9 is an oil seal....i think when you order the seals they all come in a kit.
    Ron.

40716hdiinjectors-seals.jpg

Gulp. Must ring my mechanic.

Seriously impressive knowledge there. Thanks for the info. It's always a good day when you leanr something.

I guess the way it works is I may need your help someday with
    a different issue....:)
    When you do get your mechanic to do the job...Cleanliness is very
    important when the injector pipes are opened make sure to keep everything clean..i think i used a finger from a rubber glove to push over the injector pipes/injector....:)
    I removed all the carbon first with a scriber,then i connected up my hover
    to a small 8 mm hose which sucked all the lose carbon from around the
    injector...using a airline may blow it all over the engine....:eek:
    Best of luck with it...if you sign up to the above site you'll see me there...;)
    Ron.

• Advertisement
Advertisement