Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The perfect hot whiskey?

Options
  • 26-11-2009 11:33pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am on a quest. Can anyone tell me a good toddy recipe? What am I missing. Somehow others make it and it appears to be more than the sum of its parts. My toddys just don't have that same oomph factor. Cloves, lemon, honey, whiskey etc.... What am I doing wrong?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Maybe using too much water - try pre heating the glass and use less water.
    I also like a sliver of fresh ginger in a toddy, too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have that! Nice one. Will give it a go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I generally use brown sugar instead of honey although I dunno if the difference is that great?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Chuck in a cinnamon stick as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Doc, you need a glass like this with a handle...

9d3c90f7a40b7ecf8f5b692dfd0b56a_thumb.jpg

It's so you don't burn yourself when holding it.

Use a good 50ml measure of whiskey
    Brown sugar to taste
    Stud cloves into your lemon - but not too many cloves unless you really like them. Oh and I use a full wedge of lemon, some people/pubs only use a little slice. Some people also squeeze some lemon in... you're essentially making an alcoholic lemsip!!
    Leave a spoon in the glass - this is because the spoon will absorb some of the heat and prevent the glass from cracking as well as cool it down a bit so it's drinkable.
    As was said, preheat the glass - I just hold it over the kettle after it's boiled.

It also depends on what whiskey you use. More whiskey and less of the other stuff = more oomph.

The ingredients are all more or less the same, I suppose it's the measures and method. I'd use the 50mls anyway and go ... whiskey > sugar > water > lemon w/ cloves all the while leaving the spoon in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Powers is your man for Hot Toddies and Irish Coffees.

As said before the trick is water to your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Always pre-heat the glass. Pour it 1/2 full of hot water, then empty.

For my own ones, a spoon and a half of brown sugar, then add in the whiskey (Jameson for me, though I'm not picky about it in the slightest between the 'regulars' i.e. Jameson, Paddy, Powers) and fill up the glass to just under 3/4 full with hot water. Still thoroughly and add the lemon and cloves.

*looks out the window* Yeah I'm gonna be needing one of them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Strong and sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

I add tea instead of just hot water, tasty!

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Doc, you need a glass like this with a handle...

9d3c90f7a40b7ecf8f5b692dfd0b56a_thumb.jpg

It's so you don't burn yourself when holding it.

Heatons for €2.50

• Advertisement

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Heatons for €2.50

Powers gift packs have two of those glasses in them. Have to get some myself :cool:

Powers gift packs have two of those glasses in them. Have to get some myself :cool:

€18 Powers plus €2.50 x 2 = €23 which is about 4quid cheaper than that Powers pack. though, the Powers glasses are "branded".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭dasdog

It might be bitter for some but I squeeze about 1/3rd of a lemon in a hot glass then put the lemon with rind on in and crush it with a fork. That comes out and honey and whiskey go in and I mix. Then add hot water while stirring the lemon/honey/whiskey mixture with a spoon and I end up with a cloudy bitter hot whiskey very unlike what is served in a pub.

Advertisement