Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland transfers/rumours [Mod Note Post #1, #750]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

;)

Aw feck, don't even have my new glasses a year.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Comfortable mid table, maybe an outside challenge for 3rd for Fingal with that squad Id say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

bohsman2 wrote: »
    Comfortable mid table, maybe an outside challenge for 3rd for Fingal with that squad Id say

Id take that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    With Turner, Chambers, Rice and Bradley, I can't see why MON would want another midfielder when we still need to strengthen in two other positions.

Striker?

Barrett, Twigg, Baker. And if Twigg goes mid season this time..

And Barrett is injury prone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

so thats 4 certain red cards from him then against the big club:p

Think he can be a good player if he gets the right guidance and defo wasnt getting it off that spoofer sean connors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

They'll stay up, but won't do anything spectacular.

They'll stay up, but won't do anything spectacular.

Agreed, its more the implosion around the league that gives them a shot at 3rd, who else is there, Sligo and Pats?

Agreed, its more the implosion around the league that gives them a shot at 3rd, who else is there, Sligo and Pats?

Pats are nowhere near good enough. Shams, Bohs, Us, and TNB FC/Gannon FC should be the top 4.

Although it would hinge on the final pieces of the jigsaw that we pull together. If we get Kudozovic in or in the very unlikely case Dan Murray, we're laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If we get Kudozovic in or in the very unlikely case Dan Murray, we're laughing.
    Make sure you sign them properly if you do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dfx- wrote: »
    Striker?

Barrett, Twigg, Baker. And if Twigg goes mid season this time..

I was thinking more of a centre-half ( Burns?) and a decent backup goalkeeper (even if we have Hughes?), but I guess Cowen will really have to step up to the mark to replace Podge as forward backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

major bill wrote: »
    Think he can be a good player if he gets the right guidance and defo wasnt getting it off that spoofer sean connors

Nope definitly not.... He wasn't in team of the season or nominated for player of the year last season :rolleyes:

If Turner wants to end up on the team of the season again this season and/or score 12 goals again this year, I'll live with the fact that he may not be the nicest or calmest lad around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Pats are nowhere near good enough.
    To do what? With Derry gone and possibly (hopefully) Cork too, it's game on for the European places I would say - no reason why Pats should not be in with a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

..................Rogers
    Lynch Mulcahy Guthrie Bermo
    Guy Mc Allister Byrne Sinnot
    .......Williams..Faherty

thats actually not a bad team, top6 and i be happy :)

• Advertisement

Pats are nowhere near good enough. Shams, Bohs, Us, and TNB FC/Gannon FC should be the top 4.

Who have sligo signed that make you feel that you are top four? I can't see Sligo finishing ahead of Fingal, Pats or Dundalk. Maybe if they held on to cretaro but not now.
    I'd say it'll be between Sligo, Drogs and Cork for the home play off spot.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ..................Rogers
    Lynch Mulcahy Guthrie Bermo
    Guy Mc Allister Byrne Sinnot
    .......Williams..Faherty

thats actually not a bad team, top6 and i be happy :)

I think Pat's could be the surprise team this season and might take 3rd place. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

doncarlos wrote: »
    Who have sligo signed that make you feel that you are top four? I can't see Sligo finishing ahead of Fingal, Pats or Dundalk.

I wouldn't put Dundalk that far up either. They've only 3 players so far that I'm aware of (2 technically). They'd want to get their skates on if they want to be top half IMO.

fh041205 wrote: »
    I wouldn't put Dundalk that far up either. They've only 3 players so far that I'm aware of (2 technically). They'd want to get their skates on if they want to be top half IMO.

I'd say we'll be top half but there won't be much in it. Last year there was only 2 points seperating the team in 5th and the team in 8th. I'd predict that the midtable will be close again this season but i'd say that the teams in 3rd and 4th will be right in the mix too. Dundalk will be fulltime again and that is worth a few extra points a season.

Dundalk will be fulltime again and that is worth a few extra points a season.
    I think it was mentioned earlier on this thread, but the full-time/part-time tag means very little in reality. Pats were supposedly "full-time" in '08 and "part-time" last year, yet there was virtually no difference in playing staff or wages.

• Advertisement

Who have sligo signed that make you feel that you are top four? I can't see Sligo finishing ahead of Fingal, Pats or Dundalk. Maybe if they held on to cretaro but not now.
    I'd say it'll be between Sligo, Drogs and Cork for the home play off spot.

Cretaro is overrated, and only was the cherry on top of some fantastic team performances. Bar the goal against Derry in the cup, he never produced anything special. Blinkhorn was the player who brought Raf to life completely.
    Everyone was working around Raf, getting him on the ball as he was so tricky, and I'm sure someone else will step up to the plate of being the crux in the Rovers.

It's happened after Faz left, after Turner left, after Mansaram left, after Hughes left, and countless others so I'm sure that we'll find someone to build our attack around.

We've the best centre back in the country in Peers, and what looks to be good signings in Foran, McCabe and Amond. Throw in O'Grady commanding the midfield and we've a half decent side.

However, we need two or three final pieces to get team going I'll admit and I feel our season will depend big time on who we bring in over the next few weeks. Turner would have been perfect if he wasn't such a mercenary, but that's football.

If Turner wants to end up on the team of the season again this season and/or score 12 goals again this year, I'll live with the fact that he may not be the nicest or calmest lad around.

I've a feeling it will all go very Bohs for Turner. Midfield by passed by O'Neill will see him left looking like a sitting duck, and he'll lose interest fast, start piling on the weight again and that.

I've a feeling it will all go very Bohs for Turner. Midfield by passed by O'Neill will see him left looking like a sitting duck, and he'll lose interest fast, start piling on the weight again and that.

Quite an objective view there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

That's funny, because Ricer was our busiest player last season.

Can't see a midfield squad with players like Rice, Turner, Dennehy, Kavanagh, Bradely and O'Connor having the ball pumped long all the time....

Can't see a midfield squad with players like Rice, Turner, Dennehy, Kavanagh, Bradely and O'Connor having the ball pumped long all the time....

Bohs had one hell of a midfield under Connor too and they played nothing but hoofball.

Yeah said the same about Ndo Fahey and Kirby, its mad how other teams dont let you pass it around. Should be a law against that sort of midfield play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Cork City have blocked Dan Connors 3-month loan deal to Darlington at the last minute...having agreed to it last week :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bohs had one hell of a midfield under Connor too and they played nothing but hoofball.

Has Connor been appointed Rovers manager on the sly?

Last season's problem was in midfield..or the lack of control in midfield - namely through Rice's one-man-show at times when Bradley and Robinson, Chisholm and the other Scottish player who left mid-season who I can't remember..ahem...struggled. I can see why O'Neill wants to resolve that

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Should be a law against that sort of midfield play.

The Wenger Directive? :)

• Advertisement

I think Pat's could be the surprise team this season and might take 3rd place. :(

Have said that myself on the gambling forum on here and on the Shels forum. Mahon and Gill managing a half decent side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Have said that myself on the gambling forum on here and on the Shels forum. Mahon and Gill managing a half decent side.

Totally agree. There is always a team who seem to come out of nowhere to do really well when others dont expect it. UCD last year and Rovers challenging for the league a year or two before they expected to.
    Not going to make predictions about where we will finish because i dont do that but if we dont finish above Sligo there will definatley be something wrong.
    Actually if that happens Ill start of a thread at the end of the season on how much I love Sligo and the man himself Sligo Brewer.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Galway have confirmed a few contracts

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/united-confirm-new-contracts

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Cork City have blocked Dan Connors 3-month loan deal to Darlington at the last minute...having agreed to it last week :rolleyes:

That will save the cardiac unit at Darlington Memorial Hospital having to hire any new consultants. Mad Dan is guaranteed to give fans heart attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

the other Scottish player who left mid-season who I can't remember
    Cameron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Nope definitly not.... He wasn't in team of the season or nominated for player of the year last season :rolleyes:

team of the season????. fact of the matter i never rated him at bohs and connors a fcuken idiot!!!.

Striker?

That lad Edwards didn't look bad at all last night. And got a goal.

Barrett looked good, if a little bigger than last season, and Twigg was very sharp. Should have had three instead of one.

We also had a trialist in goal (Murphy?) who hardly touched the ball really.

Some nice ball played, albeit on a poor pitch and against a not-up-for-up side.

Was it raining in Longford? Always fecking is for Reds matches there.

What type of squad did they have out? On paper they have a decent first team squad.

Was it raining in Longford? Always fecking is for Reds matches there.

Rain held off thankfully.
    What type of squad did they have out? On paper they have a decent first team squad.

They were very poor last night, but it's early days I guess.

• Advertisement

Roll on Friday so.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

OK, lads, which of our clubs has cocked up? I hope it's not the Drogs. :(

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0203/failicence.html

LOI club fails to submit licence
    Wednesday, 3 February 2010 21:55

An unnamed League of Ireland club has failed to submit their licence application for the 2010 season, despite requesting extra time to complete the details.

The deadline for applications was last Friday and one club asked the Independent Licensing Committee (ILC) for three extra days to finalise their documentation, a request which was accepted.

However, the FAI have confirmed in a statement on the League of Ireland website that the application had not been received as of 5pm on Wednesday.

The club could not face punishment from the ILC as in 2008, a team was fined €15,000 for the late submission of audited accounts.

The FAI have warned that if the completed application is not received by 15 February, the day the ILC will meet to make decision on what licences are awarded, the club could face a much-harder punishment including demotion.

uhhh its Cork

fairly fcuking obvious tbh

Pats were the team fined 15k last year for being late.

Who'd ever thik it would be Cork? They havent done anything wrong in the last 18 months.:D

Ray Scully the defender I haven't a breeze why re-signed and Philiy Gorman the ex-red Striker both lined out today for the reds against a PFAI selection. That's all my transfer news.:D

Signed up officially now, along with Ian Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

PDN wrote: »
    OK, lads, which of our clubs has cocked up? I hope it's not the Drogs. :(

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0203/failicence.html

Cork city were given an extension til Wednesday, so obviously us. Nothing new there then :rolleyes:

Foras have submitted an application for the first division, which Fran Gavin confirmed on the radio last week.

• Advertisement

Cork city were given an extension til Wednesday.

Maybe the FAI should just fill out the application for them and have it be done with?

Incase anyone missed this..

Ryan Guy has signed a new deal with Pats. Not exactly the most technically gifted player in the world, but the guy's (no pun intended) attitude is terrific. Glad he's staying on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Aaron Greene came off the bench for us tonight, first I had heard about it

Played fantastically though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Aaron Greene came off the bench for us tonight
    Who is "us"?

I'm not really much of a regular here. He'll turn into a fantastic player for somebody, no doubt.

Case in point, this little bit of magic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Tbv2kUwLU&fmt=22#t=4m27s

Galway United's confirmed signings so far...

Barry Ryan, Derek O'Brien, Alan Murphy, Jason Molloy, and Cian McBrien all re-signed.

Ciaran Foley returns after being overseas and more recently, playing in the Galway & DL.

Jonathan Keane returns from his break from football to play GAA.

Tom King from Longford Town. Longford fans speak very highly of him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement