Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland transfers/rumours [Mod Note Post #1, #750]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Prize fund for the new season has been announced - still relatively high despite all the cutbacks:
    Prize fund breakdown

Premier Division

1 €200,000
    2 €100,000
    3 €75,000
    4 €60,000
    5 €50,000
    6 €47,000
    7 €45,000
    8 €42,000
    9 €41,000
    10 €40,000

First Division

1 €50,000
    2 €20,000
    3 €13,000
    4 €11,000
    5 €10,000
    6 €9,750
    7 €9,000
    8 €8,500
    9 €8,000
    10 €7,500
    11 €7,250
    12 €7,000
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0305/airtricityleague.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Voltwad wrote: »
    What happened to Robert Bayly? Has he signed for anyone?

Was training and played in a couple of our pre-season games. We used the last of our budget on Faz. Would have liked to have signed Bayly as we're seriously thin at centre midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

doncarlos wrote: »
    Was training and played in a couple of our pre-season games. We used the last of our budget on Faz. Would have liked to have signed Bayly as we're seriously thin at centre midfield
    Faz is a great signing for Dundalk. Outside chance of Europe this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who got Cork's Europe place actually?

Des wrote: »
    Who got Cork's Europe place actually?
    Dundalk according to wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Dundalk according to wikipedia.

I heard it was given to Sligo because Foster does'nt have the coaching badges. I'd love it if that was true.

I heard it was given to Sligo because Foster does'nt have the coaching badges. I'd love it if that was true.
    Haha that'd be the most ridonkeykong thing ever. Didn't it turn out that Gareth Southgate hadn't the proper coaching badges when he took over at Boro?

Pfft. Sligo will just go and lose to Albanian nobodies again.

I think it will be between ourselves and Pats for third. If we avoid suspensions (lol) and injuries we might have a chance. Have made some quality signings but only have 14 full time players and the rest is made up of Youths and A-Team.

We got the European spot and should have no problems getting a licence. According to our communications manager Foster's lack of licence won't be an issue as he will be enrolled on a course before we play our matches and that is all that is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Letter to Liam Meaney

1. Sent: Monday, 1 March, 2010 13:27:37... See more
    Subject: Liam Meaney - Cork City Investments Ltd - Response Dan Connor (ex player)

Dear Liam
    Thank you kindly for extending me the courtesy of keeping me up to date with your endeavours to ‘save’ Cork City Football Club, and for the compassion you have shown towards me and my fellow ex-employees. You will have to excuse me, this correspondence caught me by surprise as I’m not used to being treated with any kind of respect by Tom Coughlan or Cork City Investments Ltd.

As you have been so kind please allow me to reciprocate with my 2 cents worth. Yes that’s €0.02 –Quite ironic really as this happens to be equivalent to the amount of cash I actually own given that I have not been paid since 14 November 2009, and here I am giving its equivalent value to you. Liam I know you are not that good with dates, (after all you failed to meet several commitments and promises made to me on various agreed dates over the past six months or more), but that’s approximately 15 weeks without wages. You can imagine that having not been paid approximately €20,000 in wages due to me under contract my bank account is severely in the red, and so it is that the 2 cents I found down the back of the sofa is all I have at this point. Anyhow back to your correspondence;

Based on what I have heard on what I actually know I find your actions laughable, incredible, insulting and angering simultaneously for the following reasons;

The company has been in trouble for some time now yet you wait until the 23 February 2010 to make this plea for support and assistance. This is either A) a sick attempt to make it look as if you and Tom Coughlan actually give a damn about the football club and its employees, or B) the actions of a bluffer whose bluff has been called and is now trying to salvage something, possibly squeeze some more blood from the stone?

Some say that the only reason Cork City Investments Ltd exists no more is because of the shambolic, negligent and reckless manner in which it was run. I hope this isn’t the case and I sincerely hope that the events of the past months will result in a thorough investigation of the company, its management, and directors by the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement and the Revenue Commissioners.

There are countless rumours circulating; people connected to the directors earning large salaries for distributing sandwhiches; people connected to the directors appearing on the creditors list for settlement as part of the takeover; misdirected funds; actions of the directors that were not in the best interest of the company etc etc – but I needn’t lay these out for you as after all they are only rumours which I cannot substantiate at all, but I am sure you know exactly the rumours I speak of.

I would hope that any investigation would clear this matter up and put to bed any unfounded rumours of money laundering or impropriety and clear the good name of the company’s directors and management.

People are of the opinion that the company could easily have been saved but because of the actions of the directors this did not happen. This seems like a reasonable conclusion to me. I’m no corporate finance expert but a willing seller + willing purchaser + more than willing creditors and employees = sale? I suppose the issue gets a little more complicated when the seller actively obstructs the sale, deceives the courts, deceives the Revenue Commissioners etc etc (although the motives for such action are somewhat unclcar). These are not my views but the views of the courts, the Revenue and the takeover group which I have read in the media.

I potentially have a lot to gain should the company be re-instated given that this would provide some hope of me recouping my lost earnings. But I have lost a lot in time as an employee of Cork City Investments Ltd. I don’t think for one second that either you or Tom Couglan has any idea of the personal stress I (and other staff) have been under in the past few months, the blame for which I lay firmly at the club’s door. A period of broken promises, deceit, lies, underhanded action, attempts to have me sacked (confirmed to me by the clubs football manager), suspensions and fines for speaking out against this travesty, my blocked transfers (negotiated with your agreement and which would financially benefit the club, only to be pulled down my some last minute machiavelian antics by the club designed to screw me out of my wages due), a Christmas with my wife and two children with no salary to provide for them and the stress that all that puts on a marriage. I would feel even worse if I though Tom Coughlan would get one more cent out of the company, or had any influence over the football club in the future whatsoever.

Personally I think you have some cheek to contact me to garner my support for any action you or Tom Coughlan would take in any regard. In all my time I have never come across such a despicable group of people.

Cork City (the football club) will survive albeit under the guise of a new company. Some jobs will be replaced by that new company I hope. I firmly believe that the interests of the football club and the supporters of Cork City are all the better to see the back of Tom Coughlan and Cork City Investments Ltd, god knows the supporters and staff have been through enough. I wish the club, the staff, and the supporters all the best for the future, the only pity being I can’t take part in the post Tom Coughlan revival.

I feel sad for you too Liam, I don’t know what the extent of your involvement exactly is in this mess but I fear the worst. But there is an old saying about bad things only happening when good people do nothing. Either you are complicit or stood idly by – I’m not sure which is worse, at the end of the day you only have your word and your honour, your nothing without these.

As for Tom Coughlan, I hope that the next time he crawls out from under his rock to do business, that people are of the nature of the man and treat him accordingly - run a mile!

Please feel free to contact me by return email, on my mobile at
    , by post, or pop into the house for a cup of tea with myself, the wife, and the kids (forgive them in advance if they’re not too friendly; when the two little lads asked me who killed Santa this year I told them it was you and Tom).

Yours sincerely and unapologetically,

Dan Connor

Former Employee Cork City Investments Limited
    Formerly almost an employee of Darlington FC (Scuppered by the clubs greed)
    Formerly almost an employee of St Patricks Athletic (Scuppered by your appeal against the wind up)
    ACTUALLY & CURRENTLY UNEMPLOYED & BROKE – BUT MOVING ON!

P.S For those of you CCd on this correspondence please do not hesitate to contact me. There is a queue of people as long as the creditors list only willing to share their experience of working with Tom Coughlan and we’ll be happy share them with you.

Didnt know where to post this, more a funny now than anything else :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

stovelid wrote: »
    Didn't he play for Drogheda or Dundalk pre-season?

Not Drogheda anyway.

That was the rumour and still is the case AFAIK, but Dundalk reckon he'll have started the course in time for Europe, which is enough for UEFA.

Faz is rubbish. He was a big fish in a small pond above in Sligo and he did alright, but since then he's been utter crap, no other way to say it.

Also I put Dundalk closer to relegation than 3rd tbh. I can see a situation like last year where you have a big clutter of teams scrambling around midtable/playoffs. 5th is the absolute best they could do, particularly with the poor squad they have atm.

fh041205 wrote: »
    Not Drogheda anyway.

That was the rumour and still is the case AFAIK, but Dundalk reckon he'll have started the course in time for Europe, which is enough for UEFA.

Faz is rubbish. He was a big fish in a small pond above in Sligo and he did alright, but since then he's been utter crap, no other way to say it.

Also I put Dundalk closer to relegation than 3rd tbh. I can see a situation like last year where you have a big clutter of teams scrambling around midtable/playoffs. 5th is the absolute best they could do, particularly with the poor squad they have atm.
    Dundalk are as good if not better than that mid-table bunch. I agree than themselves and Pats along with Fingal will probably make up the rest of the top half.

Dundalk are as good if not better than that mid-table bunch. I agree than themselves and Pats along with Fingal will probably make up the rest of the top half.

Disagree entirely. Their squad is poor and quite small, I've seen them. Plus their manager consistantly throws in the towel against big teams claiming its not possible for smaller clubs to compete with them.

IMO Pats Fingal Sligo and poss. Drogs will all be ahead of them. Those 4 definately have better squads and first XI's. I'd place Dundalk and ourselves around the same come the end of the year, mostly because we'll underachieve and they are perennial over-achievers. This is all humble opinion obviously but I was seriously unimpressed by what I saw from them pre-season.

IMO Pats Fingal Sligo and poss. Drogs will all be ahead of them. Those 4 definately have better squads and first XI's. I'd place Dundalk and ourselves around the same come the end of the year, mostly because we'll underachieve and they are perennial over-achievers. This is all humble opinion obviously but I was seriously unimpressed by what I saw from them pre-season.

Yeah your right, drawing our first game and winning 6 in a row is a terrible pre-season..... ;)

Player for player Dundalk's first team is stronger than all the teams you've mentioned bar Pats in my opinion and we are at least as strong as them. I would agree that we have a small squad though and this could go against us. Sligo are weaker than last season. Fingal were poor last season and I don't think they'll be up to a whole lot this season either. Pats while losing some good players I feel they will have a stonger team. Mahon will have them well organised.

You think that drogs will be the same as Dundalk at the end of the season. Well you should put your money where your mouth is as you'll make a killing in the bookies. On head to head betting. Dundalk are 1/7 to finish ahead of Drogheda.

You say drogs have a better first 11. What Drogs players would get on to this Dundalk side in your opinion?

Cherrie

Kelly Burns Breen Hatswell

Mahar Miller Melligan Gaynor

Faz Fenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

He played up front with Guntars for a lot of last season. We'll have better forwards this year, part-time, in the First Division. Amazing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The idea of the Drogs squad being as good as the Dundalk squad is a bit laughable in fairness. If Drogs do manage to finish ahead of Dundalk (which is a big if) it'll be for other reasons than the general quality of their squad.

• Advertisement

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    He played up front with Guntars for a lot of last season. We'll have better forwards this year, part-time, in the First Division. Amazing really.

Aye, Sillybollix isn't that what they called him. One of the greatest nicknames of a LOI player I've ever heard.
    CSF wrote: »
    The idea of the Drogs squad being as good as the Dundalk squad is a bit laughable in fairness. If Drogs do manage to finish ahead of Dundalk (which is a big if) it'll be for other reasons than the general quality of their squad.

I'd be quite willing to argue that point tbh. Certainly squad-wise, we have more depth and players who can play a better range of positions, particularly in midfield.
    You think that drogs will be the same as Dundalk at the end of the season. Well you should put your money where your mouth is as you'll make a killing in the bookies. On head to head betting. Dundalk are 1/7 to finish ahead of Drogheda.

You say drogs have a better first 11. What Drogs players would get on to this Dundalk side in your opinion?

Cherrie

Kelly Burns Breen Hatswell

Mahar Miller Melligan Gaynor

Faz Fenn

Harris, McNally is better than both those CBs although I was never a fan of Burns, far to slow. Kendrick, anyone who has seen him pre-season would agree there. Crowley, Gareth O'Connor, Michael Daly( who would have been in that team had yis offered him a contract when he wanted one) Brendan McGill (Best proper winger I've seen in a long long time) and John Flood upfront (thanks btw for him:D).

So I reckon this would be a much better team (with possibly Burns instead at CB, I just can't stand him).

Cherrie

Kelly McNally Harris Kendrick
    McGill O'Connor/Daly Crowley Gaynor
    Flood Faz

tbh I'm not sure if i'm just so hyped up for tonight that I'm building it up to be more than it will be, but I'm quite excited about our chances this year, which I couldn't have said about 2 weeks ago. Enjoying all this banter once again is great for the heart...:cool: Which Maher is that on right-mid?

Richie Baker and Robbie Doyle have signed for Brayruit btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Aye, Sillybollix isn't that what they called him. One of the greatest nicknames of a LOI player I've ever heard.

I'd be quite willing to argue that point tbh. Certainly squad-wise, we have more depth and players who can play a better range of positions, particularly in midfield.

Harris, McNally is better than both those CBs although I was never a fan of Burns, far to slow. Kendrick, anyone who has seen him pre-season would agree there. Crowley, Gareth O'Connor, Michael Daly( who would have been in that team had yis offered him a contract when he wanted one) Brendan McGill (Best proper winger I've seen in a long long time) and John Flood upfront (thanks btw for him:D).

So I reckon this would be a much better team (with possibly Burns instead at CB, I just can't stand him).

Cherrie

Flood Faz

tbh I'm not sure if i'm just so hyped up for tonight that I'm building it up to be more than it will be, but I'm quite excited about our chances this year, which I couldn't have said about 2 weeks ago. Enjoying all this banter once again is great for the heart...:cool: Which Maher is that on right-mid?

I admire your optimism, but I just can't agree. You've seriously underrated Burns, Melligan and Cawley if you ask me. And you've gotta be mental to rate John Flood ahead of Neale Fenn. John Flood would not have seen a minutes football in the Bohs squad last season. Damien Brennan is also a donkey so I don't wish you luck having him in your team. I appreciate Drogs have more players than Dundalk, but it is a mixture of both quality and quantity that makes a good squad and I think Dundalk absolutely destroy Drogheda in the quality stakes.

CSF wrote: »
    Damien Brennan is also a donkey so I don't wish you luck having him in your team. I appreciate Drogs have more players than Dundalk, but it is a mixture of both quality and quantity that makes a good squad and I think Dundalk absolutely destroy Drogheda in the quality stakes.

Fair enough, sure life would be boring if we all agreed with each other. I basically feels the same way you do, only about some of the Dundalk players, I think a few of them are overrated and won't be up to much this year. Cawley is a mouth and not much more, Fenn won't score many goals and he's had his moment in the sun. Flood is quick and strong, the one thing we've been missing since last year.

Incidentally, Brennan is injured until after the summer and apparently hasn't signed for us because of it. I suspect he wasn't offered a contract.

Also, if we win tonight, we'll have equalled our tally for the first 9 games last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Perfect replacement for Raf.

• Advertisement

I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Perfect replacement for Raf.

See you only saw the good side of him. He played in probably the best team we've ever had and he was shown up big time.

See you only saw the good side of him. He played in probably the best team we've ever had and he was shown up big time.

He was playing for the probably the most defensive and anti-football manager the league has ever seen. I'm prepared to give him a chance to play for a more attack minded manager.

Cherrie

Flood Faz

Still think that McNally and Harris are quality center halves and Flood is the answer to your goalscoring problems? Well as a frequent visiter to the Drogs forum it would appear that you're the only one

He was playing for the probably the most defensive and anti-football manager the league has ever seen. I'm prepared to give him a chance to play for a more attack minded manager.

Still think that McNally and Harris are quality center halves and Flood is the answer to your goalscoring problems? Well as a frequent visiter to the Drogs forum it would appear that you're the only one

Wouldn't expect you to feel any differently. You play the hand you're dealt and all that. Whatever the attributes of Doolin's team, it was a much better team than Dunadalk have now.

What a dissapointment Harris was last week. A lot was expected of him and he delivered nothing really. His shortcomings were as plain as the nose on my face. There hasn't been any comment on Flood or McNally really. Give them as much a chance as you're giving Faz maybe. Still think Flood is decent and McNally would be great if he only had someone else to help him defend.:eek:

it was a much better team than Dunadalk have now.
    Of Course it is, that's the difference between 45k a week and 8.5k a week wage bill! :D

What a dissapointment Harris was last week. A lot was expected of him and he delivered nothing really. His shortcomings were as plain as the nose on my face. There hasn't been any comment on Flood or McNally really. Give them as much a chance as you're giving Faz maybe. Still think Flood is decent and McNally would be great if he only had someone else to help him defend.:eek:

What has Flood ever done in his career for you to hold him in such high regard? If we had of signed him which I'm not sure we would have, he would have been fighting it out with Mulvenna for a place on the bench. McNally is ok but will struggle badly after losing Kenna who I feel is a quality centre half.

If we had of signed him which I'm not sure we would have, he would have been fighting it out with Mulvenna for a place on the bench. McNally is ok but will struggle badly after losing Kenna who I feel is a quality centre half.

Mulvenna is injured and Fenn will never score goals at the rate he's expected to. Which means you're relying totally on Faz fro goals, not a good place to be IMO. Excellent point about McNally there. He needs a good defensive partner. TBH if Kenna was still here, I could say without reservation that our two CBs are better.

I see Foster has been accepted into a UEFA pro license course with the English FA, which should allow Dundalk play in Europe if they can get the ground up to UEFA standard by June/July.

Mulvenna is injured and Fenn will never score goals at the rate he's expected to. Which means you're relying totally on Faz fro goals, not a good place to be IMO. Excellent point about McNally there. He needs a good defensive partner. TBH if Kenna was still here, I could say without reservation that our two CBs are better.
    Well they would have been together for years both with Drogs and UCD. Kenna is a far bigger loss than Chambers in my opinion. Breen seems to be a big improvment on Heary from last season. It's hard to judge their partnership after one game but hopfully it'll be solid.
    I see Foster has been accepted into a UEFA pro license course with the English FA, which should allow Dundalk play in Europe if they can get the ground up to UEFA standard by June/July.
    I doubt we will to be honest. Oriel was one of the best stadiums in the country in the 70s/80s unfortunately until very recent times no major work was carried out.
    We are very lucky to have a builder as owner as we're getting a lot of cosmetic work done which by itself doesn't seem like much but it all adds up. Since he has arrived, he rebuilt the shed, put a new roof and side panels on stand, new player and officials dressing rooms, refurbished the Enda mcguill suite. built a sponsors lounge, new club shop, new toilets on the terrace, dressing rooms for pitch rentals on the terrace and is currently building a youth development centre.
    Everything he has built he has built that he will get a return on investment from, so according to the man himself the away terrace is way down his list of priorities at the minute unfortunately.
    There is a project team looking at the viability of staging the game in Oriel but it would be a mammoth task as we would need to add an additional 1500 seats as well as replace some of the existing ones in the stand as the are not of the correct standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I don't think you lot ever played him in his best position which hardly helped matters , Big fish in small pond thing doesn't make much sense he was never one of our big earners and was hardly the outstanding player in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Well they would have been together for years both with Drogs and UCD. Kenna is a far bigger loss than Chambers in my opinion. Breen seems to be a big improvment on Heary from last season. It's hard to judge their partnership after one game but hopfully it'll be solid.

I doubt we will to be honest. Oriel was one of the best stadiums in the country in the 70s/80s unfortunately until very recent times no major work was carried out.
    We are very lucky to have a builder as owner as we're getting a lot of cosmetic work done which by itself doesn't seem like much but it all adds up. Since he has arrived, he rebuilt the shed, put a new roof and side panels on stand, new player and officials dressing rooms, refurbished the Enda mcguill suite. built a sponsors lounge, new club shop, new toilets on the terrace, dressing rooms for pitch rentals on the terrace and is currently building a youth development centre.
    Everything he has built he has built that he will get a return on investment from, so according to the man himself the away terrace is way down his list of priorities at the minute unfortunately.
    There is a project team looking at the viability of staging the game in Oriel but it would be a mammoth task as we would need to add an additional 1500 seats as well as replace some of the existing ones in the stand as the are not of the correct standard.

I'm sure you can rent Century Homes Park again lol

In fairness a lot of good work has been done and its a pity you wont get there in time but i suspect that your right it will have to go elsewhere

gustavo wrote: »
    I don't think you lot ever played him in his best position which hardly helped matters , Big fish in small pond thing doesn't make much sense he was never one of our big earners and was hardly the outstanding player in the squad

Played him on the left mostly and upfront sometimes. Never showed anything in either position. Point is, he can't cut it in better teams, once the pressure is on to perform.

Thats true about the seats. I pointed this out to some people before (on a very lazy day I read the licensing documentation for the grounds). AFAIK Dundalk fall behind even the FAI's licensing criteria somewhat (people in glass houses I know), as do most clubs. Actually I would recommend everyone to take a look at the info on loi.ie website. Theres some interesting stuff in there.

They'd hardly go to Dublin to play the 'home' leg would they? Where else I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

United Park = Hunky Dory Park .... I don't know if I'll be able to keep a straight face!

• Advertisement

Lollymcd wrote: »
    United Park = Hunky Dory Park .... I don't know if I'll be able to keep a straight face!

I was hoping that wouldn't be mentioned for a while.:D Feck all difference it'll make though, except more money for us which is always good. Plus free Hunky Dorys the odd game......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I was hoping that wouldn't be mentioned for a while.:D Feck all difference it'll make though, except more money for us which is always good. Plus free Hunky Dorys the odd game......:)

We've sold out to a snack food!!!! I hope they got a lot of money for it because it's a bit embarrassing!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I can see it now, "The Airtricity League, live from Hunky Dory Park!"

Glamour and glory lads

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I can see it now, "The Airtricity League, live from Hunky Dory Park!"

Glamour and glory lads

Hoping for a crisp performance.

Get a result in the bag etc etc.

Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I see Turner is free agent now, so ill guess he will be officially signing for Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0311/turnerc.html

Sligo Rovers and Chris Turner are under investigation by the director of the League of Ireland as the midfielder's future was finally resolved by Disputes Resolution Chamber (DRC) in Dublin today.

Turner joined Sligo last November, but on a form that proved to be invalid, and the former Northern Ireland under-21 international then agreed to move to Shamrock Rovers.

Sligo disputed the switch, claiming their deal with Turner was still legal, and the FAI withheld his registration pending the outcome of a hearing.

The DRC ruled that neither contract is valid and that Turner is a free agent, but that he will only be able to register with a new side when he returns a €5,000 payment made to him by Sligo.

That leaves the former Dundalk player free to join Shamrock Rovers, providing Sligo do not object to the judgement by the DRC in the next 10 days.

However, both Turner and Sligo are under investigation by the league for the way their original agreement was carried out and could face penalties if found guilty of any breach of league rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Dont worry, we wont be doing a Cork :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Accounts just filed for Sporting Fingal FC Ltd state that Gannon paid €750,000 by way of “non-refundable contribution to the club during the year under review (year to November 30th 2009)”. He paid €499,900 in “non-refundable sponsorship” in 2008.

This success has come at a price though. Sporting Fingal lost €75,358 in the year to the end of November last – a chunky sum for a club whose average crowd is usually measured in the hundreds.

Sporting Fingal closed the year with accumulated losses of €36,353 and its auditors stating that its ability to continue as a going concern was “dependent on the continuing financial support from its major benefactors”.

Sporting Fingal’s other major shareholder is the local county council, which played a central role in establishing the club.

Bagging Gannon as an investor was probably considered a coup at the time. But with Gannon set to be one of the first 10 borrowers placed into Nama, with loans of €1 billion-plus, it might now be considered an own goal.

Gannons money is now "sponsorship". Surely NAMA/Government can't allow Gannon to continue putting "sponsorship" into a football club when he's about to transfer a billion or so to NAMA!?

I'd really like to see Fingals book for the year, in how they managed to spend Gannons €750,000 along with the other few grand in sponsorship off Keelings, etc... along with making a loss of €36,353.

• Advertisement

Dont worry, we wont be doing a Cork :D

No, that looks unlikely. Chances are Fingal will follow the same path as your beloved Dublin City FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Quick question - how does one contact the LOI by email?

The 'info@loi.ie' email on the Airtricity League site just bounces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I really don't like how Fingal have done things.

There is nothing organic about it.

Xavi6 wrote: »

It's probably modelled on the Bohemians cheque protocol.

If Gannon sticks around (and stays solvent), it's fine, but if not...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Quick question - how does one contact the LOI by email?

What are you trying to get answered? Might be better off emailing Fran Gavin, etc...

• Advertisement

If Gannon sticks around (and stays solvent), it's fine, but if not...

Not really if he keeps pumping €750,000 each year into the club while throwing over a billion of "debts" to the tax-paying public to pay for.

Not really if he keeps pumping €750,000 each year into the club while throwing over a billion of "debts" to the tax-paying public to pay for.

I didn't mean fine as in it's a nice thing to do, just fine in the sense that SF will survive.

So much of the project is actually good, as in the local authorities getting behind a club and the community aspect. It's just a pity it's built on the sand of the same old profligacy that has sunk other clubs before.

I just wish the FCC had got behind an existing club and insisted on a prudent fiscal model.

I didn't mean fine as in it's a nice thing to do, just fine in the sense that SF will survive.

So much of the project is actually good, as in the local authorities getting behind a club and the community aspect. It's just a pity it's built on the sand of the same old profligacy that has sunk other clubs before.

Mistook your comment.

As for the local authorities being behind them, but when they own supposely 26% of the club and the local authority is paid for by the Government that's a different story. Shams approach is better, club and authority work together but are separate entities.

I just wish the FCC had got behind an existing club and insisted on a prudent fiscal model.

Shows the logic behind the FAI, pay thosands for the Genesis report and then a couple of years later back the setting up of another Dublin club.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What are you trying to get answered? Might be better off emailing Fran Gavin, etc...

Looking to get permission to use some photographs or the contact details for someone who has a good range of LOI pics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement