Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland transfers/rumours [Mod Note Post #1, #750]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

stovelid wrote: »
    So much of the project is actually good, as in the local authorities getting behind a club and the community aspect. It's just a pity it's built on the sand of the same old profligacy that has sunk other clubs before.
    And yet they are placed up on a pedestal for all other clubs to admire and aspire to – absolutely baffling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Shams approach is better, club and authority work together but are separate entities.

It has been a rocky road..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    No, that looks unlikely. Chances are Fingal will follow the same path as your beloved Dublin City FC.

Not a hope thats just wishful thinking on your behalf and Gavin who thanks every post thats negative against Fingal :)

Cork City went the same path as Dublin City remember ? Foras will be gone before Fingal will .
    Its a sad situation we have with some followers of the League here when they enjoy the demise of other league clubs just because they dont like them.
    Sporting Fingal will be around for a good number of years yet so dont get excited about that article. At worst we would go part time but there will always be a SPORTING FINGAL.
    SPORTING ARE GOING SUPERSONIC ;)

JUST A NOTE

Can you please post something new instead of repeating posts you did last year about Sporting Fingal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Cork City went the same path as Dublin City remember ? Foras will be gone before Fingal will .
    Cork City are still playing football. Dublin City are extinct. The fans (i.e. FORAS) are here today, here forever. I'd be impressed if you could post about Cork City without any reference about CCIFL going bust.

Its a sad situation we have with some followers of the League here when they enjoy the demise of other league clubs just because they dont like them.
    It's sad the state the league is in. Most fans would like to see a healthy league with clubs living within their means, and a good geographical spread.

Sporting Fingal will be around for a good number of years yet so dont get excited about that article. At worst we would go part time but there will always be a SPORTING FINGAL. SPORTING ARE GOING SUPERSONIC ;)
    Surely Fingal wouldn't go part-time?! Ye can surely afford full-time professional football with crowds of a few hundred coming through the gate.

What amazes me is that you don't even appear to be concerned about the situation at Fingal, especially since you already lost Dublin City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How big was the crowd in Fingal tonight? I could literally hear a pin drop as I walked by about 8 o'clock.

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Cork City are still playing football. Dublin City are extinct. The fans (i.e. FORAS) are here today, here forever. I'd be impressed if you could post about Cork City without any reference about CCIFL going bust.

Cork City are extinct dont kid yourself, as you should know a new team was set up. I only post about cork city going belly up if its relevant to the post im replying to.

It's sad the state the league is in. Most fans would like to see a healthy league with clubs living within their means, and a good geographical spread.

True but some cant make up their minds to what they want. They complain that there are too many Dublin teams in the league and at the same time they called division one the Discover ireland league and was glad they got out of it.

Surely Fingal wouldn't go part-time?! Ye can surely afford full-time professional football with crowds of a few hundred coming through the gate.

That doesnt deserve a proper answer.

What amazes me is that you don't even appear to be concerned about the situation at Fingal, especially since you already lost Dublin City.
    There isnt a situation to be worried about unless Tom Coughlan has joined us yesterday.:D

All you need to worry about is how long the backers of Foras will hang around if you dont get promotion and dont be worried about us and i have far more things to be concerned about than a footy team going belly up.
    ITS ONLY FOOTBALL.
    IN SPORTING I TRUST ;)

SantryRed wrote: »
    How big was the crowd in Fingal tonight? I could literally hear a pin drop as I walked by about 8 o'clock.

How did you know it was a pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

1200 aprox. Bigger than shels against Mons, fact :) Not bad for a team 2 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

1200 aprox. Bigger than shels against Mons, fact :) Not bad for a team 2 years old.

Did they get lost on their way to Dalymount last week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

How many of them were Sligo? Decent crowd in fairness. Didn't Cork get a big gate too? And Bohs got nearly 3k? Hopefully all the crowds will hold up.

Hopefully a big crowd for us on Tuesday, given the holiday the next day.

Yea 3kish at Dalymount, app 30 Fingal fans.

Serious?? Jesus, I actually thought there was no one in there. Fair play on the crowd but it's all about sustaining it.

Serious?? Jesus, I actually thought there was no one in there. Fair play on the crowd but it's all about sustaining it.

Seriously. About 150 sligo lads who in fairness never stoped singing. Far stand wasnt used so maybe thats what made it sound quiet. Iv never seen our stand so jammed tbh. A lot of people had to stand and plenty of fans down around the Railings.

Agree with you though, it is important to sustain it but its not a bad start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

1276 - Official Figure
    How many of them were Sligo?

Not too many. 100-150 at the very most. AFAIK that was the second highest attendance ever at Fingal (The highest being Dundalk 2 years ago if I'm correct.

bohsman wrote: »
    Yea 3kish at Dalymount, app 30 Fingal fans.

I knew this would start again this year. I was at the game myself, it was close on 200 our end. Did a rough count. With more scattered in other areas of the stand.

Now I know your going to chime back in with plenty of :eek: and lots of "NO WAY THERE 200" and other such over dramatizations, but the fact will still remain that there was. I dont exaggerate on these things.

1276 - Official Figure

Not too many. 100-150 at the very most. AFAIK that was the second highest attendance ever at Fingal (The highest being Dundalk 2 years ago if I'm correct.

Close but not the highest. We got over 1400 at a shels game with half coming from shels. (que GAV rant;))

Actually I think both Shels games got around that figure last year. In our first year Dundalk did bring the biggest away crowds as far as i remember.

I knew this would start again this year. I was at the game myself, it was close on 200 our end. Did a rough count. With more scattered in other areas of the stand.

Now I know your going to chime back in with plenty of :eek: and lots of "NO WAY THERE 200" and other such over dramatizations, but the fact will still remain that there was. I dont exaggerate on these things.

Fair enough, 30 seemed to be the general consensus among Bohs fans. I was in the bar till just after kickoff and the far end of the stand for the match so will take your word for it. You're forgetting that Im not a Shels fan, my main objection to the club is that there's enough teams in Dublin but I do like this solution...
    Dublin City proved that one man bands cant survive in the LOI.

Buckley has his heart in the right place and is a lot more copped on than that fool Ronan Seery ever was, but even still a team with no tradition and a tiny support base backed by one of Namas customers is only going to last for so long.

My prediction is a year from now, Fingal and Shels will merge to be become Sporting Shelbourne or Shelbourne Fingal FC, soon afterwards the double barrel name will be forgotten and it will be refered to as Shels, they will vacate Tolka and try to base themselves in North County Dublin as per SF's current plans and Buckley will be CEO / mananger and Shels will end up back in the premier division.

A nice neat tidy solution that should sort out a few problems in one go!

bhs

Fair enough, 30 seemed to be the general consensus among Bohs fans. I was in the bar till just after kickoff and the far end of the stand for the match so will take your word for it. You're forgetting that Im not a Shels fan, my main objection to the club is that there's enough teams in Dublin but I do like this solution...

Im too used to those lads I guess:D.

Originally Posted by blackholesun viewpost.gif
    Dublin City proved that one man bands cant survive in the LOI.

Buckley has his heart in the right place and is a lot more copped on than that fool Ronan Seery ever was, but even still a team with no tradition and a tiny support base backed by one of Namas customers is only going to last for so long.

My prediction is a year from now, Fingal and Shels will merge to be become Sporting Shelbourne or Shelbourne Fingal FC, soon afterwards the double barrel name will be forgotten and it will be refered to as Shels, they will vacate Tolka and try to base themselves in North County Dublin as per SF's current plans and Buckley will be CEO / mananger and Shels will end up back in the premier division.

A nice neat tidy solution that should sort out a few problems in one go!

bhs

I seen that. No thank you.

This did come to mind when reading it though

NEVER

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

1276 - Official Figure
    Feckin' hell, that's pretty (surprisingly) good, if you can keep it up fair play.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Are you still offering Family tickets though?

And are prices the same as last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I was going to ask a similar question - how many of that 1,200 paid full price? Gate receipts rather than absolute attendances would be much more indicative of support levels.

And are prices the same as last year?

Still doing the family tickets and like last year, we dont automatically count them as four if that is where we are heading with this one.

Prices are now 15e a head, up from 12 last year and 10 now for a student up from 5 and the kids ticket have remained at 5.

Lads honestly, this was the crowd, SF have been promoting the club non stop and it payed off last night. Can we stop looking for something other than what it was and that was a good home support for fingal. The hard work is still ahead of us which is trying to maintain that support but its a good start. Im happy, stop ruining it:mad: :)

djpbarry wrote: »
    I was going to ask a similar question - how many of that 1,200 paid full price? Gate receipts rather than absolute attendances would be much more indicative of support levels.

It really doesn't matter, you couldn't pay half the people on this forum to go to games so they all count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Lollymcd wrote: »
    We've sold out to a snack food!!!! I hope they got a lot of money for it because it's a bit embarrassing!

I'm hearing some very nice figures about it. Its a two year deal, and its 6 figures which AFAIK includes the jersey sponsorship for this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

You all know the rules, stick to them or I'll start handing out bans rather than warnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

How many of them were Sligo? Decent crowd in fairness. Didn't Cork get a big gate too? And Bohs got nearly 3k? Hopefully all the crowds will hold up.

Hopefully a big crowd for us on Tuesday, given the holiday the next day.

4,401, kick-off was delayed for 10 minutes due to crowd congestion outside the ground. It was great to see the cross so packed :)

Great gate for Foras, as well as selling all of the 1000 printed programmes and new club scarves sold out (granted a limited number were available in time for the game). Hopefully the crowds keep coming back.

fh041205 wrote: »
    I'm hearing some very nice figures about it. Its a two year deal, and its 6 figures which AFAIK includes the jersey sponsorship for this season.

Good to hear. Unfortunate name but if yous get some decent funding then its worth it. Helps to make things hunky dory:o. Thats terrible:)

Buttimer still an absolute joke of a ref, at least it was a nothing game and it made amends for the penalty against Fingal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was going to go but got called into work. Looked a poor crowd on the tele, bar the away fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Hoops land Bayly
    Monday, 15 March 2010 15:47
    Shamrock Rovers have completed the signing of former Cherry Orchard, Leeds United and Sporting Fingal player Robert Bayly.

The 22-year-old – an attacking midfielder and nephew of former Hoop, Richie Bayly – has agreed a one-year deal and if cleared in time could feature in the squad for tomorrow’s (March 16th) game against St Patrick’s Athletic at Tallaght Stadium.

“Robert’s a talented player who had a very good season last year with Sporting Fingal,” says Rovers’ boss, Michael O’Neill. “He’ll make a welcome addition to our squad.”

Great news. (for rovers obviously, not so great for fingal) :)

Why is it bad news for Fingal ? He was let go by Fingal. He is a good player and i was suprised that he was let go. He always gave it 100% which sometimes got him sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Why is it bad news for Fingal ? He was let go by Fingal. He is a good player and i was suprised that he was let go. He always gave it 100% which sometimes got him sent off.

Sounds like you are undecided.

No. He was one of my favourite players and im glad he's been signed up.

So Bohs are collecting all the decent strikers in the league while Rovers have a midfield collection going or does this mean Turner isn't going to sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

So Bohs are collecting all the decent strikers in the league while Rovers have a midfield collection going or does this mean Turner isn't going to sign?
    The latter I think is probably closer to home.

Brilliant, hope thats the end of Turner.

Rovers are doing a good impression of Spurs with all these midfielders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anyone want to have a whip round and buy the name Cork City FC from their liquidators so that co-op crowd can't claim all their history?

They cant claim their history anyway. I'd like to find out how much it would go for :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Does anyone want to have a whip round and buy the name Cork City FC from their liquidators so that co-op crowd can't claim all their history?

We are waaaay ahead of you. Seriously. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Buying the name is not buying the history - afterall whats in a name?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That's the 5th player from our last seasons sqaud to sign for a Premier team.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That's the 5th player from our last seasons sqaud to sign for a Premier team.:eek:

What do you make of him Gavin ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not good enough for the PD, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If he sorts out his attitude he could do well, if he doesn't well that's probably why Keely got rid of him.
    Des wrote: »

Hey Gavin!:rolleyes:

Des wrote: »

I had heard on Tuesday night that Rovers were in for him again. My look of horror started there and stayed for a couple of hours..

Have just found and listened to the weekly RTÉ League of Ireland Podcast thing. Have to say it's decent. Sufficient Rovers presence with Darragh Maguire and John Byrne this week too.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

dfx- wrote: »
    Have just found and listened to the weekly RTÉ League of Ireland Podcast thing. Have to say it's decent. Sufficient Rovers presence with Darragh Maguire and John Byrne this week too.:cool:

It's a good show.

Darragh was put rightly on the spot when they asked him if his heart was in Inchicore or Tallaght. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

anyone got a link for that podcast lads?

Advertisement