Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland transfers/rumours [Mod Note Post #1, #750]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If he sorts out his attitude he could do well, if he doesn't well that's probably why Keely got rid of him.

Hey Gavin!:rolleyes:

Well your opinion isn't worth anything Gav :D

Anthony Flood has all the skills to make it in the PD bar one, and that's finishing. So unless you've got a player to spoonfeed him chances (ala Madden) he won't score anymore than 8 goals this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    Darragh was put rightly on the spot when they asked him if his heart was in Inchicore or Tallaght. :D

:D He gave the wrong answer, but at least he didn't fence sit

http://www.rte.ie/sport/loifootballshow.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Thomas Stewart to Shamrock Rovers? First I heard about this today during the Dundalk game. Because Rovers are lacking in midfield?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

SantryRed wrote: »
    Well your opinion isn't worth anything Gav :D

Anthony Flood has all the skills to make it in the PD bar one, and that's finishing. So unless you've got a player to spoonfeed him chances (ala Madden) he won't score anymore than 8 goals this season.

8 goals doesn't sound so bad right about now... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Saw this on shelsweb and it gave me a smile
    What the difference between shamrock rovers and a tree? A tree doesn't fall apart when it loses a twigg
    :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm hearing Ndo signed for Sligo?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Tis true.

Odd, we would have been happy to keep him, think he wanted somewhere better then realised he'd have to take what he could get.

Tis true.

May God have mercy on us all. He's one player that I'd absolutely hate if we signed.

fh041205 wrote: »
    May God have mercy on us all. He's one player that I'd absolutely hate if we signed.

Why? He's a quality player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sligo are looking like they could be Bohs biggest challengers.

Should be a good match on Friday. They have really put it up to Bohs in Dalymount in the last 2/3 years.

Should be a good match on Friday. They have really put it up to Bohs in Dalymount in the last 2/3 years.
    I don't know about biggest, but certainly expect a challenge.

Yeah, Friday should be a good clash, we really haven't hit full stride yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Don’t know about that – I don’t see anyone having a big enough squad to stay the course other than Shams. I’d say the other European spots are wide open though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

They weren't great against Fingal when I saw them (they were OK but not title-winning quality), and by all accounts they weren't great against Shams or Galway either.
    I'd say Pats will be the biggest challengers, unless Rovers can improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I really can't see why everyone is getting a horn over Sligo, apart from Ndo (who when interested is the best player in the league), who have they signed that elevates them to such grand heights? They were average last season and lost their two best players. IMO Rovers, Pat's, Dundalk and possibly Fingal are all stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Did Ndo play in the setanta cup for Bohs ?

FAI step in to help Cobh Ramblers
    0 commentsby Extratime Team
    Tue, Mar 23 2010

Cobh Ramblers have agreed a deal with the FAI that sees the association take control of St Colman's Park and help with the running of the Cork-based club.

The future of the club had been in doubt for some time, but a new administration group will be made up of Fergus McDaid, Mick Nolan, Michael O’Leary and Eddie Murphy, who will attempt to steer The Rams back to a solid footing.

The task facing the new group is quite massive though as they inherit a deficit of approximately €180,000 and a team that finished last in their Newstalk A Championship group with just six points from 16 games.

"I would like to welcome the new Administration, who have come on board in an effort to stabilize the Club and set about putting our club back to where it belongs in the League of Ireland," said Club Secretary Ernest O’Keeffe.

"I wish them well and urge you to give them every support and help in the year ahead. I ask that we all embrace the challenge together as one group."

The aim is to restructure the club, wipe out existing debts and get them back into a position where Dave Hill's team have a chance of winning promotion to the First Division.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3116/

from last year:

Cobh members agree to sell ground

Monday, 12 January 2009 14:53

The members of Cobh Ramblers have voted overwhelmingly to support a proposal that would allow the FAI to purchase their ground, St Colman's Park, for €500,000, writes RTÉ Soccer Correspondent Tony O'Donoghue.
    The club hope to pay off their debts and lease back the ground over a period of ten years, a plan they say will save the club from folding.
    This was the third EGM of the Cobh Ramblers membership as the current chairman, Barry Walsh, tried to steer through a proposal by Cobh to the FAI that they would buy the ground for a ten-year period with the stipulation that the club remain in the League of Ireland during that time.
    Cobh, who own their own ground including bars, first proposed the sale and leaseback at an EGM in early December.
    The vote was carried by 51 to 4 but as seven days' notice of the meeting had not been given a group calling themselves Friends of Cobh Ramblers objected to the motion and a second EGM was convened for 21 December.
    At that meeting the proposal was defeated by 65 votes to 55, on the basis of an alternative survival plan being put in place by the supporters.
    According to Barry Walsh, no plan was forthcoming and so the proposal went to a third EGM last night, a meeting boycotted by the Friends' group.
    Cobh have a membership of 150 and out of a total attendance of 94 last night 81 voted in favour. The club now intend to bring their rescue plan to the FAI at Abbotstown.
    There is no guarantee that the FAI will agree to the proposal and bail the relegated Cobh Ramblers out of their current difficulties.
    At the moment the First Division side have no manager and no players are under contract.
    A spokesman for the Friends of Cobh Ramblers said last night that a number of financial questions remain to be answered by the club and that a legal action is pending. Three of the four trustees of the club have resigned and the club is currently without a treasurer.
    The Friends group believe the debts of the club are closer to €250,000.
    Cobh Ramblers have until the end of the month to obtain a licence to compete in the League of Ireland next season.

www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0112/cobh.html

FAI reject Cobh's ground selling plan

Monday, 26 January 2009 22:12

Cobh Ramblers have been handed a blow with the news that the FAI have rejected their plan to sell St Colman's Park to the organisation, who would then lease it back to the club.
    The club's members had voted to put the proposal to the FAI in order to help them clear their debts and attain financial stability, but the FAI have been unable to assist.

The FAI's board came to the decision that it could not provide financial assistance to any club involved in the League of Ireland as it could assist them in obtaining a license.

However, - they did agree to look at a financial solution to keep the club in football post the licensing process.

www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0126/cobh.html

FUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another ex-red striker on his way back it seems, goes by the name of Mark Leech, played last night for the "A" team against Phoenix. Also rumours of a certain "fat" player signing.:D And a player in the other direction too, should be officially announced tomorrow.:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

doncarlos wrote: »
    I really can't see why everyone is getting a horn over Sligo, apart from Ndo (who when interested is the best player in the league), who have they signed that elevates them to such grand heights? They were average last season and lost their two best players. IMO Rovers, Pat's, Dundalk and possibly Fingal are all stronger.

Peers and Blinkhorn > Raf and Boco for the millionth time.

Kthxbai.

And tbh, I'm rather meh about Ndo signing. We didn't need an attacking midfielder, but a defensive one instead.
    :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Another ex-red striker on his way back it seems, goes by the name of Mark Leech, played last night for the "A" team against Phoenix.(

Mark Leech is a striker? Well I never.

• Advertisement

Peers and Blinkhorn > Raf and Boco for the millionth time.

Just because you say it doesn't make it so. I'll admit that I haven't seen a lot of Blinkhorn but if he scores as many goals as Cretero I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. Really can't see it happening though. Any time I've seen Sligo play over past couple of seasons Boco always stood out for me. More than any other player.

Ndo was a good player last season for Bohs and they were interested in keeping him. There is no way he wont improve Sligo. As for a defensive midfielder. You'll have Russell coming back from Injury in the early Summer which will add plenty of defensive quality to your midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

And tbh, I'm rather meh about Ndo signing. We didn't need an attacking midfielder, but a defensive one instead.
    :s

Good replacement for Alan Moore. Like Turner and his Sean Connor crush I can see all non Fenlon managers struggling to motivate Ndo.

As for Raf, hes looking like he could form a great partnership with Byrne once he gets fit, we're more than happy with him so far.

stovelid wrote: »
    Mark Leech is a striker? Well I never.

:D

Him and Brucie banging them in.

Leech was superb for us until Dundalk broke his leg, showed a lot of promise.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Ye think he's signing for us to regain his fitness levels and try and not get injuried, most likely wil be on a Steve Williams type contract aka a Pay-as-you-play one. Has to be better than Dinny anyway.

Ye think he's signing for us to regain his fitness levels and try and not get injuried, most likely wil be on a Steve Williams type contract aka a Pay-as-you-play one. Has to be better than Dinny anyway.

he played for us again after the leg break just between his fitness and kenna it didnt really work out for anyone.

But he did look handy before the injury think he was our top scorer for a bit too.

And a player in the other direction too, should be officially announced tomorrow.:(:(:(:(

Kevin Doherty has decided to hang up his boots and retire from the game.

He has been undecided since the end of last season whether to continue on playing, as the number of injuries he sustained over his career had taken their toll and he was finding it harder and longer to recover from knocks and tough games.

Dermot Keely had persuaded him to re-sign for this season, but Kevin finally decided last Saturday to call it a day on his playing career. Dermot however has left the door open, should he change his mind and wish to return.

Kevin now hopes to begin studying for coaching badges.

Best wishes to him in the future.

Sad news, his parents still go to Shels matches, even remember a match last season with his dad on our supporters bus with some cans the gent. Hopefully Kev will start going to matches with his parents.

Big loss to the team imo.:(

Get out of it, he broke his own leg. Neither injury in that match was caused by a Dundalk player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Gutted about Doc retiring, a hero and a legend. Hopefully his coaching goes well and we will one day see him back with the Reds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Another ex-red striker on his way back it seems, goes by the name of Mark Leech, played last night for the "A" team against Phoenix. Also rumours of a certain "fat" player signing.:D And a player in the other direction too, should be officially announced tomorrow.:(:(:(:(
    Who is the 2nd rumoured signing?

CSF wrote: »

Assume its Mikey Keane given the "fat" reference :)
    Get out of it, he broke his own leg. Neither injury in that match was caused by a Dundalk player.

2 broken legs in the one game vs a team that ended out playing most of their games with 10 men. yeah they broke their own legs :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

2 broken legs in the one game vs a team that ended out playing most of their games with 10 men. yeah they broke their own legs :|

Seem to remember both being very unlucky tbh

A

Well I was at the game and witnessed both incidents and viewed them again on MNS. They we both accidents. I take it you seen neither and just jumped to wild accusations.

Neither incident was even a free kick. The first happened when two players slid in together. It was a 50/50 ball and fair challenge from both players.
    The second seem to happen with your player getting his studs caught in the turf as the ball was at the other end of the pitch at the time.

If your going to come out with a statement that Dundalk broke your players legs you should back it up. Can you provide any match reports that say they were results of bad tackles or even "a hefty challenge"? If not you should withdraw that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If your going to come out with a statement that Dundalk broke your players legs you should back it up. Can you provide any match reports that say they were results of bad tackles or even "a hefty challenge"? If not you should withdraw that statement.
    Banter: Good humoured, playful, typically spontaneous conversation; To engage in banter or playful conversation; To play or do something amusing; To tease mildly.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Banter: Good humoured, playful, typically spontaneous conversation; To engage in banter or playful conversation; To play or do something amusing; To tease mildly.

Where is the good humour in accusing a team of breaking someones legs?

• Advertisement

Assume its Mikey Keane given the "fat" reference :)

Tis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Has he lost any of it? Could be a big signing (pardon the pun) for the first division if he is at any kind of level of fitness.

Could be a big signing (pardon the pun) for the first division if he is at any kind of level of fitness.

Only a rumour though.;)

Just because you say it doesn't make it so. I'll admit that I haven't seen a lot of Blinkhorn but if he scores as many goals as Cretero I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

Blinkhorn doesn't score goals, he makes goals. Plays the lone striker role for the benefit of the other striker, this year it's Amond, last year was Raf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm up in Dublin for the next few months, planning to catch a few LOI games and I'm wondering where the closest club to me is - I'm living just off the Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin. I suspect it's Boh's in Phibsboro?

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    I'm up in Dublin for the next few months, planning to catch a few LOI games and I'm wondering where the closest club to me is - I'm living just off the Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin. I suspect it's Boh's in Phibsboro?

Bohs or Shels are both walkable.

If I was you I'd be going to Tolka.;)

The Santry Siro is close by too.

you should just try to get to whichever team is playing at home on the Friday, that way you can catch a game every week, and make a decision on which club "feels right".

You could even meet up with Boardsies for a pint if you were so inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Santry Siro? I thought there was only one Siro in Ireland, the Flansiro :D

Yeah I must try catch a game at both of them and see who should be getting a few of my Friday nights. I'm predisposed to whoever creates the better atmosphere. :)

Sound Des.

cson wrote: »
    I'm predisposed to whoever creates the better atmosphere. :)

That will probably be Bohs then, being champions they get bigger crowds than Shels are getting at the moment.

But we're an all round nicer club.

There wouldn't be much of an atmosphere in Santry, unless they're playing one of the bigger clubs at home.

Actually, now that I think of it, you should definitely get to Tolka for the visits Cork City Foras and New Derry, both games will have a decent atmosphere, we always had a very good rivalry with both sets of clubs, and they always bring decent aways, they'll probably be they best attended games in either division those weekends, if Rovers aren't at home in Tallaght, but there'll definitely be a very good atmosphere at both.

I've a bot of a softspot for Shels so I'd go there personally. :o

But, if you go to Bohs this week you get to see Rovers play. :)
    No brainer so.;)

Don't think Ndo has any interest whatsoever in the well-being or betterment of Sligo (or Drogheda if he was ever to come here). All he wants is a paycheck. Even in the past he's been happy enough to stay out injured when other players would have beeen busting their balls trying to get back playing.

I thought Peers was playing CB for Sligo?? Boco is definately a better RB than he is/was. He ripped us apart everytime I saw him.

fh041205 wrote: »
    Don't think Ndo has any interest whatsoever in the well-being or betterment of Sligo (or Drogheda if he was ever to come here). All he wants is a paycheck. Even in the past he's been happy enough to stay out injured when other players would have beeen busting their balls trying to get back playing.

I thought Peers was playing CB for Sligo?? Boco is definately a better RB than he is/was. He ripped us apart everytime I saw him.

He's on **** all plus appearance fees afaik so I don't care too much about hims costing us money.

And yeah Peers is CB, but I was arguing against those who said that Raf and Boco were our two best players last season. And as a RB, Peers is superior as defending is a main part of being a RB.
    :o
    He played RB for us back in 2006 when initially came and only was shoved into CB in an injury crisis and seems to have found his calling.:p Similar to a lot of people who have had rebirths in the Showgies, (see Faz when he was shoved upfront from CM, Turner when he was shoved from RB to CM, Raf when has shoved from RB to RM to CF and Hughes when was shoved from RM to AM).
    :o

I see the clowns at RTE are at it again.

Idiots.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/soccer_tables_airtricityfirstdivision.html

newteam.jpg?t=1269475148

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Des wrote: »

:pac:

Crap. Why didnt somebody tell me. Sure there just a mile up the road from me. Here I am supporting fingal:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

:pac:

Crap. Why didnt somebody tell me. Sure there just a mile up the road from me. Here I am supporting fingal:rolleyes:
    About time that question popped into your head ;)

He's on **** all plus appearance fees afaik so I don't care too much about hims costing us money.

I don't currently believe that, although I would be interested why you do. Didn't he ask for almost 2k when Rovers (i think??) approached him? Fair point on the rest.

Does anyone know if the away fans are covered from the rain in Morton Stadium btw?

• Advertisement
Advertisement