Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland transfers/rumours [Mod Note Post #1, #750]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »
    Pretty expected ever since he wouldn't sign the contract we offered him. Hopefully he manages to fulfil his potential with you.

We have adequate cover at left-full anyway. Stevens is a good swap, although it would be nice to have him on a longer contract.

Nah bermo a good defender, stevens great going forward. Be good to see them on the same side would balance out well.

Hes getting 500 a week at pats :confused: same as every one else and we only signing more once we get rid of gavin and guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I rate Bermo and think he has great potential. He missed a lot of games though which may have affected the new contract he was offered. We have other options there as well as Stevens though, so it's not a big as a blow as it could be.
    What does everything think the biggest signing of the close season will be?

Cretaro so far I guess. Only marquee player so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

stovelid wrote: »

Cretaro so far I guess. Only marquee player so far.

Turner back to us as well is a fairly big coup. One of the best midfielders in the league without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What does everything think the biggest signing of the close season will be?

Well Pat's have been linked with Glen Crowe. The don't come much 'bigger' than that

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well Pat's have been linked with Glen Crowe. The don't come much 'bigger' than that

Keane to Cork , thats "bigger"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Galway have appointed a new manager.

Official announcement tomorrow at noon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Galway have appointed a new manager.

Do you know who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Proberly between Tom French, Leo Tierney and Sean Connor

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Do you know who?
    As I said...

And...
    Foxx92 wrote: »
    Proberly between Tom French, Leo Tierney and Sean Connor
    None of these three.

Originally Posted by civis_liberalis

Watcha postin' here for then?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I'm hearing Mark Herrick's name mentioned. Also, 2 decent LOI players are joining Stan in England......http://www.loidland.net/article/display/463

None of these three.
    Care to give any more info...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

fh041205 wrote: »
    I'm hearing Mark Herrick's name mentioned.

Left Mervue yesterday afaik.

Left Mervue yesterday afaik.

But he is quoted as saying he's looking forward to a break from football...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

None of these three.
    I don't believe that.

Sean Connor is the new GUFC manager.

LOL. Let's see what he can do without a chequebook.

red-pants-big.jpg

Oh dear. I thought we'd got rid of him for a while. Theres no way Galway will let him take his mates with him this time. He'll show what quality of manager he is over there, I'm sure of that.

• Advertisement

None of these three.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

None of these three.

Whoops!

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Whoops!

If you saw my posts in the Galway forum, you'd know what that was about ;)

Read that

then put 2+2 together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Jason Gavin has officially parted company with Pats - no surprise there.

Gary Dempsey reported to have signed for Darlington (along with Tadhg Purcell)?!? Bit surprised at that one - I would have thought he'd have been capable of attracting an offer from a club at a higher level than that. Very under-rated player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

djpbarry wrote: »
    Jason Gavin has officially parted company with Pats - no surprise there.

Wouldn't mind him with the Reds, possibly another Gill and Keely teamwork job?

• Advertisement

I seem to recall a rumour that Rovers were interested in Gavin. Otherwise, I'd imagine he'll head back across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Doubt Shels could afford his wages tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I seem to recall a rumour that Rovers were interested in Gavin. Otherwise, I'd imagine he'll head back across the water.

Sweet mother of Jesus no we aren not. Thats so far off the mark its actually entertaining.

FYI he has moved to Australia.

But keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Eric Foley moves from Sporting Fingal to Shels.
    Dinny Corcoran goes from Sporting Fingal to Shels on loan.

Philip Byrne goes from Sporting Fingal to Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Paulw wrote: »
    Eric Foley moves from Sporting Fingal to Shels.
    Dinny Corcoran goes from Sporting Fingal to Shels on loan.

Philip Byrne goes from Sporting Fingal to Longford.

Is Eric Foley any good?

• Advertisement

He hasn't played that many games for the first team (5-6). Plenty for the A's though.

He's a handy enough midfielder. Plenty of chasing and bite about him. A very good working player, and good at passing. He's only 20 (well, he'll be 20 in 2 weeks).

I think he'll be a good signing.

I thought he was going off to Australia??? Was there not a story about that a few weeks ago?

Ross Gaynor, who was training with Stevenage in England is coming home and has agreed to sign for the Drogs apparently. Alex Williams signs for pats http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=3421.

Pats aren't holding back with the signings are they.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I thought he was going off to Australia??? Was there not a story about that a few weeks ago?

Ross Gaynor, who was training with Stevenage in England is coming home and has agreed to sign for the Drogs apparently. Alex Williams signs for pats http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=3421.

Unfortunately he never really showed what he was capable of with us.

Has potential, hopefully will come through for us this season, I was impressed last season.

He seems very critical of Fingal for some reason.

By Marcus CAVAROLI

Wednesday January 13 2010

LOCAL lad Ross Gaynor has turned down offers from two bigger Premier clubs and pledged his future to Drogheda United. Cork City, St Patrick's and Dundalk were all interested in luring the Ardee native away from the Boynesiders, but Gaynor feels he owes manager Alan Mathews a debt of gratitude for taking him on loan from Sporting Fingal last summer. Speaking yesterday ( Tuesday) from snow-bound London, the 22year-old winger told the Drogheda Independent: 'I spoke to two other managers, but I wasn't really thinking about going.

'Drogheda is close to home, but the main factor in choosing them was that they were the only club who came in for me last year.

'Alan Mathews gave me that chance and it was good on him, and hopefully I will pay him back.

'I was having such a tough time at Fingal with the pressure we were under, but at Drogheda we knew what we had to do and the manager didn't put any extra pressure on us.

'He had us playing relaxed and there was a good bond between the players. It was good to be involved in – so different to Fingal.

'We did well against the bigger teams in the last series of games, and I don't think we will be involved in relegation this year.'

Gaynor, who started his career in England with Millwall, has been training with Conference club Stevenage Borough during the winter, and they were keen to keep him for at least another week, but the Republic of Ireland Under-23 international turned them down.

'I said I'm signing for an Irish club. I didn't want to be messing around in the Conference because it's easy to get stuck playing in that division.

'I want to get a full season under my belt with one club, which I haven't had since I was 18, and try and get noticed by one of the bigger English teams, because I do want to go back there eventually.'

Pre-season training is due to begin on Sunday, and Mathews expressed the view yesterday that local youngsters Eoghan Osborne and Darragh McNamara would be able to make a bigger contribution to the first-team squad this year.

'Eoghan played last season and got a taste for it, and hopefully he can progress, while Darragh was injured for a lot of last year.

'I would think they can come in from the start and add to the squad,' he said.

Meanwhile, Drogheda have announced five further pre-season friendlies, either side of the Jim Malone Cup game with Dundalk on February 16th.

Venues have yet to be confirmed, but the Drogs will play Shelbourne on January 29th, Monaghan United (February 5th), Glebe North (February 9th), Athlone Town (February 20th) and Bray Wanderers (February 28th).

• Drogheda Town will be confident of finally staging their FAI Intermediate Cup third-round tie with Swilly Rovers on Sunday at Marian Park (2pm) – at the fifth attempt.

we had 3 players 3 weeks ago :D

Pats had budget accepted by FAI only club so far :cool:

Dan Connor rumoured to be signing morrow along with another striker and midfielder, Faherty and Gareth o Connor the main rumours :cool:

ohhh we have a team now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

St Patrick’s Athletic are pleased to announce the signing of 26 year old Scottish striker Alex Williams.

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=3421

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pats had budget accepted by FAI only club so far :cool:

Dan Connor rumoured to be signing morrow

Now thats interesting. Connor is the best keeper left in the league IMO. Thats one hell of a team alright bar one or two who don't take my fancy. Williams will be more trouble than he's worth.

I thought Cork and Galway were to be the first to present their budgets?

Don’t remember hearing anything about it to be honest.
    Paul Byrne and Shane Guthrie also added this week – the latter is a good signing.

Pete is certainly putting together a very interesting squad – the question is can he make them play?

• Advertisement

Ian Bermingham playing for Pats too :), great potential IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Ian Bermingham playing for Pats too :), great potential IMO.
    As long as he can stay off the gargle and keep fit true. Pats may be dark horses this year.

Anyone got any idea how the league formation is shaping up?

He seems very critical of Fingal for some reason.

Nothing in that quote is critical of Fingal. Just seems like he said it the way it was. Plenty of competition for places, and under pressure from the manager to get promotion. Nothing strange there, and I certainly don't read anything he's quoted as saying as being critical, never mind "very critical".

Nothing strange there, and I certainly don't read anything he's quoted as saying as being critical, never mind "very critical".
    there was a good bond between the players. It was good to be involved in – so different to Fingal.

i could say what I think he's trying to say in other words, but I'll refrain.

Voltwad wrote: »
    As long as he can stay off the gargle and keep fit true. Pats may be dark horses this year.

Anyone got any idea how the league formation is shaping up?
    Only lives around the corner from me :pac:.

Nothing strange there, and I certainly don't read anything he's quoted as saying as being critical, never mind "very critical".

Tbf I'm not basing my opinion solely on that article, and I'd say he held back a bit for that interview. In any case, he seems not to have had a nice experience there.

This one is only from today but its been in the air for a while AFAIR. Losing two great players. http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/robinson-and-gavin-set-to-take-aussie-route-2011666.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Tbf I'm not basing my opinion solely on that article, and I'd say he held back a bit for that interview. In any case, he seems not to have had a nice experience there.

This one is only from today but its been in the air for a while AFAIR. Losing two great players. http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/robinson-and-gavin-set-to-take-aussie-route-2011666.html

Sometimes it works at a club and sometimes it doesnt I guess. The first half of the season was terrible for all involved tbf so im not surprised to hear him say that. Hope it works out for him anyway.

EDIT:

Oh and now we have a reason to boo a Drogheda player :D;)

Its all part of induction to LOI premier division...:D.

First of many I bet, it's like musical chairs in this league!

RE Dan Connor, not sure about him being the best in the league, I've had mini heart attacks watching him, not to mention grey hair! In fairness I do start having panic attacks when Skinner is in goal! ;)

• Advertisement

Lollymcd wrote: »
    In fairness I do start having panic attacks when Skinner is in goal! ;)

Signed him on Football Manager, they seem to have replicated his ability to send your blood rushing when the ball comes near the goalmouth in real life your post is anything to go by!

Advertisement