Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland transfers/rumours [Mod Note Post #1, #750]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Signed him on Football Manager, they seem to have replicated his ability to send your blood rushing when the ball comes near the goalmouth in real life your post is anything to go by!

To be fair to him I'm sure he's gotton us out of more than one tight spot but I really can only remember the gaffs!!! He never seems to catch the ball, he prefers to punch it away, which can be dodgy sometimes. Our last home game of 2009 was against St Pats and their goalie nearly scored from a goal kick!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well Pat's have been linked with Glen Crowe. The don't come much 'bigger' than that

I have it on very good authority that Glen Crowe signed for Sporting Fingal last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Waterford United have signed Liam Kearney.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/news/index.aspx?c=sport&jp=eyeykfsnkfgb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Lollymcd wrote: »
    First of many I bet, it's like musical chairs in this league!

RE Dan Connor, not sure about him being the best in the league, I've had mini heart attacks watching him, not to mention grey hair! In fairness I do start having panic attacks when Skinner is in goal! ;)

We are finally around long enough to have former players. For the first time we have had lads ask us what certain players are like who played (notice the past tense word:D) for us before. We have a history:D:D:D:D:D. Now role on Fifa 2011 and we are set. Aha bitch€s.

A little too much I feel:o ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Aha bitch€s.

Bookmarked for when you don't exist/all goes down the swanny.

Turner was at Pre-Season training for us this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Lollymcd wrote: »
    First of many I bet, it's like musical chairs in this league!

RE Dan Connor, not sure about him being the best in the league, I've had mini heart attacks watching him, not to mention grey hair! In fairness I do start having panic attacks when Skinner is in goal! ;)

Williams put years on me with some of his antics this year. I'd sooner put Mathews in goal. According to MNS he's quite a decent keeper.:D

Paulw wrote: »
    I have it on very good authority that Glen Crowe signed for Sporting Fingal last night.

Its up on pfai.ie now. Apparently we beat Pats offer but Fingal came in late and offered him more. Glad we didn't get him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

fh041205 wrote: »
    Its up on pfai.ie now. Apparently we beat Pats offer but Fingal came in late and offered him more. Glad we didn't get him tbh.
    Pats have opted for Vinny Faherty instead - I'll take him ahead of Crowe any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Are pats part time this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

cymro wrote: »

Yup.

Happy with the Faherty signing :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Apparently we beat Pats offer but Fingal came in late and offered him more.

Quite devious of Fingal to offer him a skip of chocolate digestives to seal the deal, in fairness.

cymro wrote: »
    They were supposedly “part-time” last season too. The label means very little, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

djpbarry wrote: »
    They were supposedly “part-time” last season too. The label means very little, to be honest.

I agree. In general, the term is inaccurate. I assume that full-time means paying enough to a player so that they don't need another job and can train full-time, but what constitutes a full-time wage is subjective.

It's basically become a justification for overpaying players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

stovelid wrote: »
    I agree. In general, the term is inaccurate. I assume that full-time means paying enough to a player so that they don't need another job and can train full-time, but what constitutes a full-time wage is subjective.

It's basically become a justification for overpaying players.

Nope.

Full time is a 52 week a year contract. Part time a 40 week one.

How much they get paid and whether they work outside of football is not actually the distinction. So while very few, if any, Rovers player has or needs another job, they are all technically part timers.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Pats have opted for Vinny Faherty instead - I'll take him ahead of Crowe any day.

So would I. But galway players have a nasty habit of ending up back in Galway before long. Whispers of Neale Fenn up Drogheda way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Quite devious of Fingal to offer him a skip of chocolate digestives to seal the deal, in fairness.

He's screwed though; no Burdocks in Morton!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Yup.

Happy with the Faherty signing :D

Sad to see him go. If he could just score he would be an excellent striker.

He's screwed though; no Burdocks in Morton!:D

Not sure about that, it might be an advantage - shed a few extra pounds from not having a Burdocks !!! :D

Bookmarked for when you don't exist/all goes down the swanny.

633760665770101795-stalkers.jpg

;):p

Apparently the Fingal Council paid for the biscuits as well and had a council worker volunteer to deliver them:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Apparently the Fingal Council paid for the biscuits as well and had a council worker volunteer to deliver them:eek::D

Bet he got paid in Fingal season tickets and jerseys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Some interesting signings from Pats.

Whats peoples opinions on Paul Byrne?

I've always liked him, he is prob one of the best in the league in the air and is a natural finisher when he gets the service.

On the negative side he is a bit injury prone and has a bit of a lazy reputation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How much they get paid and whether they work outside of football is not actually the distinction. So while very few, if any, Rovers player has or needs another job, they are all technically part timers.

Player i know reckoned the difference between fulltime and part time was training 4 days a week during the day(4 hours) and training 3 times a week during the night (3 hours). Both with another session in a gym.

He actually believes the fulltime teams benefited more from it.

Pats players on around 500 pw and some getting a house to stay in. Roughly all on the same wage except Guy who would be on 4 times as much but looking to leave in July. Hopefully he will play his way out :D

Bet he got paid in Fingal season tickets and jerseys! :D

Ah now I think we are taking this thread off topic. I think a new thread should be started on this topic.

Hey DSB would you do us the honours. I even have the title for you.

Ahem " Possible bicky funding from Fingal County Council in Sporting Fingal."

Oh wait my mistake.

Possible (illegal) bicky funding from Fingal County Council in Sporting Fingal.

There that fixed it:D:p

According to someone on Drogs forum......Shels have signed Robbie Clarke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Paulw wrote: »
    Not sure about that, it might be an advantage - shed a few extra pounds from not having a Burdocks !!! :D

I know that through Fingal County Council Sporting Fingal are running a third level scholarship scheme with DCU and IT Blanch perhaps you could enquire to see if they got any courses in sense of humour / get the pun courses.

Ah now I think we are taking this thread off topic. I think a new thread should be started on this topic.

Hey DSB would you do us the honours. I even have the title for you.

Ahem " Possible bicky funding from Fingal County Council in Sporting Fingal."

Oh wait my mistake.

Possible (illegal) bicky funding from Fingal County Council in Sporting Fingal.

There that fixed it:D:p

Isnt it shocking that a Sporting Fingal fan could come up with a thread title like that and encourage a Shels fan to start it?
    And two weeks later to have people continuing with the theme. Well how embarassing must that be for the person in question?
    Imagine after all that embarassment if someone would be silly enough to reopen the can of worms.
    Now that would surely ill advised?
    Anyway ignore all the above what I really want to know is

As fans of a league of Ireland club how often have you seen your chairman at a league of ireland game?

(a) Many many times and I have spoken to him at games many times:D

OR

(b) Our chairman is in it because he is a genuine football fan and supports the team financially for that reason and goes to most of the games.

Heard a rumour that Quigley (our keeper from last year) might also be in talks with Pats as well as ourselves any Pats fans know anything about it?

I remember seeing that they (Pats) had re-signed Gary Rogers.

• Advertisement

I remember seeing that they (Pats) had re-signed Gary Rogers.

A lad on foot.ie had mentioned it, was just wondering was there any truth to it.

When embarassed change the subject and ensure that you thank the poster that tags along :D

Tomthepost wrote: »
    When embarassed change the subject:D

Feel like taking any of those "take the hint" courses yourself?

Rogers is on this list http://www.pfai.ie/transfer-list as having signed for pats. Where did Brendan Clarke go?

Rogers is on this list http://www.pfai.ie/transfer-list as having signed for pats. Where did Brendan Clarke go?

Oh I must be so slow! Would you like to impart your wisdom to me?

Is there a course in 'the truth really hurts' also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Galway are very light on strikers and that's saying a lot considering what we had for most of last season.

I hope Connor has something up his sleeves.

Galway are very light on strikers and that's saying a lot considering what we had for most of last season.

Didnt I read somewhere that yous will have a bit more money this year. Is it still the intention to go amateur

• Advertisement

With us.
    We had him on loan for half the season in our first year. Buckley tried to sign him last year but was unable. So I guess we finally got our man. Was hoping Quigley will sign too. Would mean good competition between the keepers.

Didnt I read somewhere that yous will have a bit more money this year. Is it still the intention to go amateur
    Where did you read that? fool.ie? :rolleyes:

We won't, not to spend on players anyway...

I'm not getting this from any sources within the club, but my best guess is that we will be doing well enough if we are able to match our budget for the 2nd half of last season.

But, on a much more positive note, work has commenced on resurrecting our youth set-up. The best people for the job have been put in charge of it also IMO.

But back on topic, there are whispers of some signings being announced on the weekend. No idea who they are.

Seamus Conneely, Alan Murphy and Derek O'Brien are the only 3 players I know who as good are confirmed as staying.

EDIT: Post no.1000!

I can haz cheesburger now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

well as things stand , we look likely to be heading into pre season with 6 players ( atm there is 3 signed )

Pre-season is starting for us tomorrow and all of last years panel as well a lot of other locals are rumoured to have been invited. Also, as per Sean Connor, some lads from across the water and New Zealand will be looked at...

Heard a rumour that Quigley (our keeper from last year) might also be in talks with Pats as well as ourselves any Pats fans know anything about it?
    I know Pete's looking for another keeper as we've only got Rogers at the moment, but haven't heard any names mentioned (Dan Connor was mentioned earlier in this thread).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

He does... your money :D

Shels have signed our defender Gareth Whelan. Good signing for them tbh. The lad played a fair few games for us last season when we had a lot of injuries and did quite well.
    A good young defender with decent pace and a good footballer aswell. Sorry to see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Crowe will suit Fingal down to ground. Thank God the speculation about Cook going after him was bs.

Sarge wrote: »
    well as things stand , we look likely to be heading into pre season with 6 players ( atm there is 3 signed )

Cherrie, Cawley,........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shels have signed our defender Gareth Whelan. Good signing for them tbh. The lad played a fair few games for us last season when we had a lot of injuries and did quite well.
    A good young defender with decent pace and a good footballer aswell. Sorry to see him leave.

He was with us before too, seemingly.

Des wrote: »
    He was with us before too, seemingly.

Didnt know that but then again if you go back more than 2 years, I didnt know much about the league;)

Anyway should be decent for yous. Especially considering your defensive problems last year. Doubt he will be hoofing that ball forward like Daisy. Unless he is told to, that is.

Oh, don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but in the DCC Development plan 2011-2017, Tolka Park remains zoned Z9 (recreational)

http://www.dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie/pdf/Map_E.pdf

What it means, is that if the development plan is implemented (still to be voted on), that Tolka won't be zoned for residential or commercial.

Good news all round, I think.

Didnt know that but then again if you go back more than 2 years, I didnt know much about the league;)
    Were you not a fan of CHF then? :p
    Anyway should be decent for yous. Especially considering your defensive problems last year. Doubt he will be hoofing that ball forward like Daisy. Unless he is told to, that is.

Good stuff, but the fact is that we've only 6 players on our books for next season, which is worrying.

Good stuff, but the fact is that we've only 6 players on our books for next season, which is worrying.

6 players ???? Holy crap. That would certainly be a concern.

Two of which barely got a look in with us last season. Eric Foley could go on to be quite good. Didnt really get to see much of him but he did look a tidy little player at times. He was our only signing (former celtic youth player) during the summer last year.
    Not sure about Dinny. Sometimes he looked out of his depth when played. Still, he is young and could develope this season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement