Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland transfers/rumours [Mod Note Post #1, #750]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

fh041205 wrote: »
    According to someone on Drogs forum......Shels have signed Robbie Clarke.

Ye and Gaz Whelan (already posted here I know).
    Paulw wrote: »
    6 players ???? Holy crap. That would certainly be a concern.

Only 6 annouced, but we have signed more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Des wrote: »
    He was with us before too, seemingly.

Is that the same Gareth Whelan who started (in LOI that is) with Drogheda?
    Only 6 annouced, but we have signed more.

Its all announcements until the budgets get approved apparently. No contracts signed until after then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Good stuff, but the fact is that we've only 6 players on our books for next season, which is worrying.

Will we be playing 5-a-side in Tallaght on the 5th so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Is that the same Gareth Whelan who started (in LOI that is) with Drogheda?

Its all announcements until the budgets get approved apparently. No contracts signed until after then.

It is indeed. Good player who will only get better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He joined Drogs from Shels.

He's from Portmarnock, so that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

stovelid wrote: »
    Quite devious of Fingal to offer him a skip of chocolate digestives to seal the deal, in fairness.

No just a full time contract :D

Im a bit miffed now , the last time i was at the club office they said they didnt have any choccy digestives :mad::D

Heard a rumour that Quigley (our keeper from last year) might also be in talks with Pats as well as ourselves any Pats fans know anything about it?

Heard somewhere that he had signed for us. Dont know if its true though.

Oh, don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but in the DCC Development plan 2011-2017, Tolka Park remains zoned Z9 (recreational)

http://www.dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie/pdf/Map_E.pdf

What it means, is that if the development plan is implemented (still to be voted on), that Tolka won't be zoned for residential or commercial.

Good news all round, I think.

Shels are playing in Tolka for the time being then ?

He joined Drogs from Shels.

Thats odd. He only ever played for the U21's except once I think. Admittedly, he was captain for a period.

• Advertisement

cymro wrote: »
    Shels are playing in Tolka for the time being then ?
    I'd assume so, I've seen posts elsewhere saying we'd agreed some kind of deal to play at Dalyer, but it fell through due to us not being promoted. I never saw that on a Shels forum though, only over at fool, and other club forums.

I'd also think that if your lot plan to be in the PD for any length then you'll need to use Tolka or Dalyer at some stage, because you didn't get a Premier Licence for last season, because of Morton.

Which is why I said good news all round, because if we go up, there could be a problem as to where the three clubs would play.
    Thats odd. He only ever played for the U21's except once I think. Admittedly, he was captain for a period.

He would have left Shels as a youngfella, knowing he probably wouldn't have been given a chance under the Fenlon regime.

Oh, don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but in the DCC Development plan 2011-2017, Tolka Park remains zoned Z9 (recreational)

http://www.dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie/pdf/Map_E.pdf

What it means, is that if the development plan is implemented (still to be voted on), that Tolka won't be zoned for residential or commercial.

Good news all round, I think.

Happy about this. Some shit times for us there, but excluding our "manor", it's my favourite ground in Dublin. Always liked it and looking forward to going back as away fans.

Happy about this. Some shit times for us there, but excluding our "manor", it's my favourite ground in Dublin. Always liked it and looking forward to going back as away fans.

I like Tolka, although I wouldn't snub a new ground in Ringsend/Irishtown.:D

Find it gas over on fool.ie people moaning about how crap Tolka is, talk about irony.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Find it gas over on fool.ie people moaning about how crap Tolka is, talk about irony.:rolleyes:

Yes I agree, they should remember what LoI grounds were like in the past.
    Shels fans in the 1990s used to quote Ollie Byrne who used to suggest that Tolka Park should be one of the worst grounds in the league and not one of the better ones,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

6 players ???? Holy crap. That would certainly be a concern.

We have 0 players signed atm.

It will be nice when its finished and cleaned and level the pitch :D

• Advertisement

You can't really talk in fairness, aside from Limerick and Harps the pitch in Morton is the worse I seen last season.

This is fairly rich coming from a fan of a "club" with nowhere to call home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Can he not have an opinion? You's are full of them!

Aside from the names I've mentioned already, Jamie Harris, Robbie Martin and Brian King are all training with Drogheda atm.

Thats right, ye can all get your sights off Robbie "lethal fiinsher" Martin.:rolleyes:

You can't really talk in fairness, aside from Limerick and Harps the pitch in Morton is the worse I seen last season.

Only for the play off V Bray in the deep end. :D Apart from that its not too bad. For the shels game at Tolka the grass was up to their knees :) Its like running a cross country race.
    Tolka has potential if it was looked after.

• Advertisement

This is fairly rich coming from a fan of a "club" with nowhere to call home.

That doesnt make sense seeing that i wasnt claiming that our home was better than your home.

Few players signed today for Shels, only got two names and well one seems pointless and the other will be dividing fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Shaun Kelly will be training with Galway this week, as per Sean Connor in the interview below.

I would expect him to be among the names in the rumoured announcement of signings later on in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Apparently Bisto has been telling the world he's signing for City.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

squad.jpg

Bohs confirm the signing of Large, as well as the promising X-Large twins from Brazil

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bohs confirm the signing of Large, as well as the promising X-Large twins from Brazil

Crowe coming back?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Crowe coming back?
    No, we missed out on X-X-Large ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Rumours of McEvoy and Hughes going to Shels on loan, both have great potential.

bohsman wrote: »
    If it works out like it did with Madden we're laughing

Few players signed today for Shels, only got two names and well one seems pointless and the other will be dividing fans.

ah+go+on.jpg

• Advertisement

Casso and Nipper re-sign for Shels.

Nipper I'm glad about, Casso is a very good player, but Keely's hoofball ways means Casso doesn't show what he can do.

And it looks like Rob-ie-doyle is coming to Tolka.

I hate him. I won't be cheering him.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Apparently Bisto has been telling the world he's signing for City.

I'd say the contract would be able as valuble as a piece of rice paper.
    bohsman wrote: »

Ye seems that way, hopefully they do a Madden but instead get to stay with us the whole season. Seen Hughes a couple of times on the oul tele, looks quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Casso and Nipper re-sign for Shels.

Nipper I'm glad about, Casso is a very good player, but Keely's hoofball ways means Casso doesn't show what he can do.

And it looks like Rob-ie-doyle is coming to Tolka.

I hate him. I won't be cheering him.

:D

:D

Nearly as cringeworthy as this -

Ye seems that way, hopefully they do a Madden but instead get to stay with us the whole season. Seen Hughes a couple of times on the oul tele, looks quality.
    Unless we have terrible luck with injuries, I'd say Hughes at least will stay the full season

squad.jpg

Well, some of them finally have their names printed on a piece of paper.

That's a start. :pac:

Salthill Devon more or less confirmed as First Division participants for the coming season.

I hope it cripples them financially. Good enough for them, after holding Galway United to ransom over use of "their" facilities that was built with public money.

Another team in Galway?

Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

That means opposition clubs have potential to head to Galway for 4 league games this season plus whatever the cup turns up.

It could be worse we could be heading to <-Self Imposed Snip->.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Another team in Galway?

You complain about too many Dublin clubs, and now you're complaining about 2 Galway clubs?

You complain about too many Dublin clubs, and now you're complaining about 2 Galway clubs?

I count three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

3 clubs. Not to mention Galway cannot support one, let alone 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Salthill will survive, mervue won't.

3 is a bit much aswell.

Whatever argument you can make about too many clubs in the Dublin region (which is a valid argument), given how poor Galway's attendances were last season, it does seem silly to have another two clubs over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Whatever argument you can make about too many clubs in the Dublin region (which is a valid argument), given how poor Galway's attendances were last season, it does seem silly to have another two clubs over there.
    Maybe, but Mervue and Salthill made it into the league on merit. Introducing a system that allows 'junior' clubs to 'advance' into the league, while clearing out the dead wood from the First Division, is one of the best changes the FAI has made in my opinion. If Galway can't support three clubs, then it shouldn't be long before Mervue/Salthill occupy bottom spot in the First Division and a club from elsewhere in the country can have a stab at 'the big time'.

• Advertisement

Will they playing in Drom? Possibly 4 trips to Galway, lets hope there Friday nights.:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You could argue though that are they really affecting Galway United as the 'established' club? Especially compared the influences of each club in Dublin. If Galway were to be the only club again, would their attendances increase again...the last couple of times Rovers have been to Terryland, the home attendance has been woeful.

Whereas if Salthill or Mervue were to be No1...would they fare better at attracting crowds..

Will they playing in Drom? Possibly 4 trips to Galway, lets hope there Friday nights.:cool:
    Good luck finding the Drom. I've been there about 20 times and I couldn't give you directions to it... :rolleyes:

dfx- wrote: »
    You could argue though that are they really affecting Galway United as the 'established' club? Especially compared the influences of each club in Dublin. If Galway were to be the only club again, would their attendances increase again...the last couple of times Rovers have been to Terryland, the home attendance has been woeful.
    There being more than one LOI club in Galway has makes no difference to Galway United attendances. Mervue United often had double figure attendances. I'd say half of them didn't even pay in either.

The main problem I have with multiple LOI clubs from Galway is that the already scarce revenues to be had from sponsorship and the like is spread even thinner.

dfx- wrote: »
    Whereas if Salthill or Mervue were to be No1...would they fare better at attracting crowds..

I know that Galway's gates were poor last year and I wasn't actually questioning the inclusion of new clubs on playing (promotion) merit, or the argument that if a new club can offer more than GUFC, natural selection should prevail.

Just that the real issue could be lack of LOI support generally in that region, and three clubs vying for supporters may well just end up with all three getting into more trouble because of even worse gates and as Civis said, stuff like sponsorship.

I don't know a lot about Mervue or Salthill and perhaps they will canvas the support?

Note to Fingal supporters. Don't start thanking every pro-survival of the fittest new clubs type posts. :D I'm not opposing new, promoted clubs in Galway on that basis. Just that it seems there could well be three dogs fighting over the same meagre dinner now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement