Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland transfers/rumours [Mod Note Post #1, #750]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

For the record, I'm not "anti new clubs", I like what Wexford Youths are doing (apart from when they had Pat Dolan on board, obv), I AM anti new clubs beibng wedged in places where they are not needed.

Look, if an area the size of Cork can't support even two clubs then there's no way Galway will.

I'd like to see a team from Kerry in the league, there is some good stuff going on down there as regards junior soccer, the midlands is well served with Athlone and Longford, with Kilkenny City gone (I'd say the midlands is comparable to the Cork/Galway areas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Good luck finding the Drom. I've been there about 20 times and I couldn't give you directions to it... :rolleyes:

Funs times, considering we managed to be late for both matches in Terryland last season I don't fancy making it to Drom on time.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

stovelid wrote: »
    Just that the real issue could be lack of LOI support generally in that region, and three clubs vying for supporters may well just end up with all three getting into more trouble because of even worse gates and as Civis said, stuff like sponsorship.
    Mervue have had zero effect on GUFC attendances. I'm not trying to be arrogant, I'm just giving the facts as I see them. I've seen better attended A league matches in Terryland. It's hard to say what Devon will do attendance wise, but their lack of any proper facilities will hamper any efforts to draw support.

One thing Devon has is the community spirit. They have hundreds of players in their ranks. Galway have a handful at most, as I am writing.

The underage structure that was abandoned years ago is being resurrected in order to build GUFC back into a community club.
    I don't know a lot about Mervue or Salthill and perhaps they will canvas the support?
    Mervue represent a housing estate, as far as I'm concerned. An estate which evidently can't be bothered going to watch them.

I can't see many outside of family members of players at Devon having much affinity to Salhill.
    Just that it seems there could well be three dogs fighting over the same meagre dinner now.
    Money from sponsorship has already practically evaporated, save for some lifesaving backing from a prominent local businessman.

Mervue AND Salthill going after that same pool is damaging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Surely you'd have to be a fairly stupid businessman to sponsor anyone but Galway if either club is as small or as poorly supported as you say above.

Those who drag whatever crowds there are to games will surely get the sponsorship..

dfx- wrote: »
    Surely you'd have to be a fairly stupid businessman to sponsor anyone but Galway however if either clubis as small or as poorly supported as you say above.

Those who drag whatever crowds there are will surely get the sponsorship..

He's not lieing about Mervue, been at every Shels match in Terryland against them and there's been literally a handful of people which I'm guessing would be people involved with the club, family of players and a few Galway fans who came out to see how we're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Could be another Kildare County on the cards down there so?

and there's been literally a handful of people which I'm guessing would be people involved with the club, family of players and a few Galway fans who came out to see how we're doing.
    At Mervue's promotion/relegation play-off against Kildare at Fahy's Field in Mervue, there were more Galway United die-hards than Mervue "fans" in attendance, despite a place in the LOI being at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Could be another Kildare County on the cards down there so?
    That's the thing - if Mervue can't attract the punters they will inevitably drop back out of the league. However, it’s up to the FAI to ensure that it’s a case of ‘survival of the fittest’, rather than ‘survival of the fiddliest*’.

* Yeah, it's a word.

Matt Gregg has signed for Dundalk and Ciarán Martyn has moved to Glentoran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Des wrote: »
    For the record, I'm not "anti new clubs", I like what Wexford Youths are doing (apart from when they had Pat Dolan on board, obv), I AM anti new clubs beibng wedged in places where they are not needed.

Look, if an area the size of Cork can't support even two clubs then there's no way Galway will.

I'd like to see a team from Kerry in the league, there is some good stuff going on down there as regards junior soccer, the midlands is well served with Athlone and Longford, with Kilkenny City gone (I'd say the midlands is comparable to the Cork/Galway areas).

To be fair Des, Mervue and Salthill are there on merit and you don't need huge crowds to run a sensible 1st division operation - look at Monaghan.

We all want a formal pyramid in place, until that happens there will be anomolies like three Galway clubs. Any club with ambition and a sensible plan can make the LoI at the moment. What were the FAI suppsoed to do, tell Salthill to get lost? I can't see either of the two pretenders to the throne going mental and splashing crazy cash, so lets wait and see how it settles down.

Also, in shocking news that no-one could have predicted, B*hs revised budget submission was rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Approx 120 at the Mervue V Youths match last summer, with around 30 of us travelling from Wexford. A few GUFC heads in the 'crowd' too.
    Nice lads in the team though when they came to visit us

Reading on a few other forums that (admittedly in The Mail) the revised budget submitted to the FAI by Bohs has just been KB'd and the player embargo is still on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

djpbarry wrote: »
    Matt Gregg has signed for Dundalk

To sit on the bench behind Peter Cherrie all year? Seems like a bad move for him.

Ciarán Martyn has moved to Glentoran.

Is it just me that rates him very highly or has he gone epically 'off-the boil'. I'm surprised no-one tried to tempt him down South

Previous topic...Galway really shouldn't be too bothered by the presence of other clubs if they are still the only club with even reasonable support as is made out to be.

fh041205 wrote: »
    To sit on the bench behind Peter Cherrie all year? Seems like a bad move for him.
    I guess he thought it better than sitting behind Barry Murphy and Chris O’Connor all year! Besides, I think he’s branching into coaching at the moment? So probably not too concerned if he’s not playing week-in week-out.
    Is it just me that rates him very highly or has he gone epically 'off-the boil'. I'm surprised no-one tried to tempt him down South
    Yeah, I was surprised nobody snapped him up. I believe Sligo and Galway were interested (maybe someone could confirm/deny that). It does seem like a pretty major step down for him – maybe he’s just thinking of European football next season (all 180 minutes of it)?

Reading on a few other forums that (admittedly in The Mail) the revised budget submitted to the FAI by Bohs has just been KB'd and the player embargo is still on?

See my post above... ;)

This is potentially huge. If B*hs have to cut their cost projections, presumably players will be asked to renegotiate. My understanding is that Nutsy has a clause in his contract that he can walk if his playing budget is cut. Well, you can figure the rest out yourself...

Further wage cuts (or cuts to wages offers, really) at Bohs?

I would like to state emphatically that I am in no way pointing my finger at Cretaro and laughing.

If you can think of another way they can either knock €250k off their wagebill or raise it, say nothing!!! :D

I would like to state emphatically that I am in no way pointing my finger at Cretaro and laughing.

Or Baz..... :D

"...Remember, Bohs are there to be laughed at...."

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The mail says "A club source said last night that there was 'nothing unmanageable' in the changes that were required for the champions" so I'm not panicing. I'd rather hear it from a more reliable source though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Previous topic...Galway really shouldn't be too bothered by the presence of other clubs if they are still the only club with even reasonable support as is made out to be.
    We aren't worried about it impacting on our crowds in any way. What it can impact on is the amount of sponsorship money going around.

Mervue United's participation in the LOI is only a money pit and Devon are well on their way to that also.

Devon are making a fortune from their facilites, built with public money, but it will not be enough to sustain them in the league.

We aren't worried about it impacting on our crowds in any way. What it can impact on is the amount of sponsorship money going around.

Mervue United's participation in the LOI is only a money pit and Devon are well on their way to that also.

Devon are making a fortune from their facilites, built with public money, but it will not be enough to sustain them in the league.

Business would only sponsor successful teams or those with the most exposure. That is quite clearly Galway of the three locally, they should not be bothered by the other two in the long term.

Most fans = most exposure = most sponsorship

If they’re not drawing crowds then it’s not really an issue – businesses aren’t going to put much into a club that’s averaging attendances in double figures. If Galway concentrate on getting Terryland at least half-full, the sponsorship should take care of itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

See my post above... ;)

This is potentially huge. If B*hs have to cut their cost projections, presumably players will be asked to renegotiate. My understanding is that Nutsy has a clause in his contract that he can walk if his playing budget is cut. Well, you can figure the rest out yourself...

If you can think of another way they can either knock €250k off their wagebill or raise it, say nothing!!! :D

Or Baz..... :D

"...Remember, Bohs are there to be laughed at...."

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I reckon ONYD is still wondering why that massive deal with the pub chain/Coca Cola buying Rovers is taking so long. Believe in your wet dreams and tabloid stories at your own peril.

I guess he thought it better than sitting behind Barry Murphy and Chris O’Connor all year! Besides, I think he’s branching into coaching at the moment?

True. Possibly a coaching role for him in Dundalk? That would make sense. Weren't Dundalk after Martyn too. I think he's a great player. Has scored some fantastic goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Garry Sheahan of Wexford Youths having a week long trial with Exeter City. If he gets an offer, I'll wish him the best but I'd love to see him paired for us with Danny Furlong, who is just back from long term injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

bohsman wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

I reckon ONYD is still wondering why that massive deal with the pub chain/Coca Cola buying Rovers is taking so long. Believe in your wet dreams and tabloid stories at your own peril.

Seems to be a lot of this going on in Dalymount at the moment.

enviromental-head-in-the-sand.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In fairness, nobody but the mail has reported it, and they aren't exactly Ron Burgundy. You'd imagine other sources would have reported it if it was the case, nothing particularly substantial to the story at the moment.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

In fairness, nobody but the mail has reported it, and they aren't exactly Ron Burgundy. You'd imagine other sources would have reported it if it was the case, nothing particularly substantial to the story at the moment.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, ITK in LoI circles knew this was going to happen. Take a look at fool.ie or the Rovers forum. Phil Quinn is the place the FAI leak to at the moment.

Bohsman sums up their problem. He would rather crack a crap joke and try and point score than deal with the massive problems staring them in the face.

If you can find a bookie who will take it, lump on Nutsy to be the next Arabs manager. Kitchen sink job.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/bohs-confident-new-boys-will-start-season-as-they-wait-on-fai-clearance-2024430.html

Bohs wait for FAI clearance

Thursday January 21 2010

LEAGUE of Ireland champions Bohemians are confident they can get the paperwork sorted to begin the new season with a full complement of players after their first budget proposal was rejected by the FAI on Tuesday night.

Authorities in Abbotstown are going through the process of meeting with the league's clubs who have to present their financial plans for approval before being granted a licence for the new campaign.

Bohs are still subject to a transfer embargo arising from difficulties suffered in 2009 and while they have signed seven new players who are training under Pat Fenlon and getting paid, no new arrivals -- or re-signing of stars who were out of contract at the end of last season -- will be sanctioned until the FAI are satisfied.

Bohs were only allowed to factor league prize money of €40,000 -- the amount available to the team that finishes last in the Premier Division -- into their figures, although they were previously planning to account for a finish of no worse than third in the table.

Bohemians secretary Gerry Conway said yesterday that he is not worried about the delay and is sure that all players will be registered by February 28.

The Gypsies have recruited Stephen Gray, Ruaidhri Higgins and Gareth McGlynn from Derry City; Barry Murphy from Shamrock Rovers; Chris O'Connor from Bray; Raffaele Cretaro from Sligo; and Mark Quigley from St Pat's.

Confusion remains regarding the make-up of next year's Premier Division, with Cork City's participation in doubt in light of their difficulties, and fears also expressed about the well-being of Galway United. Bray Wanderers and Shelbourne are on standby.

The FAI are believed to have sought clarification from a couple of clubs in relation to original budgets submitted, with proof of guarantees of friendly matches needed before wage bills and other outgoings can be rubber-stamped.

P.S - why do I think I see a potential loophole in guarantees of friendly matches?

How can you know how many people will show?

Or that something mad won't happen like when Rovers and Sunderland was rained off the season before last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

P.S - why do I think I see a potential loophole in guaranteed friendlies? How can you know how many people will show. or that something mad will happen like Rovers and Sunderland the season before last?

We have a "high" profile freindly in July not in our budget afaik.

ps its birmingham ;)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    We have a "high" profile freindly in July not in our budget afaik.

ps its birmingham ;)

:D

If the Bohs shortfall is only between budgeting for last place and third, it's only about 50k in fairness. If that's the only shortfall.

enviromental-head-in-the-sand.jpg
    Makes a change to it being stuck somewhere else... ;)

(I'll get my coat)

Shels have Steve Williams as back up to Dean Delaney.

Weird, but nice.

He's signed on amateur terms too.

He's signed on amateur terms too.

Thats about his level these days.

Weird, but nice.

As I've posted before, Deanos missus is due a baby in March so Williams could be in to replace him for a couple of matchs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

As I've posted before, Deanos missus is due a baby in March so Williams could be in to replace him for a couple of matchs.

He's started doing more coaching too, could he compliment the coaching staff also?

Lollymcd wrote: »
    He's started doing more coaching too, could he compliment the coaching staff also?

If it's goalkeeping coaching I doubt it, can't see Fred Davis leaving or even sitting back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Willo and Delaney as the two keepers? I feel like I've hopped in a DeLorean and hit 2005 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

If it's goalkeeping coaching I doubt it, can't see Fred Davis leaving or even sitting back.

Yip, did some of his badges while with Drogheda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

fh041205 wrote: »
    Thats about his level these days.

Best keeper in the league when he was with shels last time.

Few players signed today for Shels, only got two names and well one seems pointless and the other will be dividing fans.

That being Willo. The other one seems to be down training in Cork.

Willo seems pointless? :confused:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Best keeper in the league when he was with shels last time.

At first yes, but not by the time he left. He was thoroughly awful last year. He could easily have been blamed for all 4 goals against Bohs when we lost 4-0. That was the worst point.

In other former-Shels players movements, Glen Fitzpatrick is supposedly coming back to Drogheda. I can't see that going down well, especially if he doesn't score goals early in the season.

Willo seems pointless? :confused:

Well he would have been if he was on a semi-pro contract and being paid, since it's not (which I didn't know when posting that) he's a great signing.

Report from RTE which may be of particular interest to Drogs and Galway fans:
    The Football Association of Ireland have welcomed the latest UEFA Respect Fair Play Rankings, which open the possibility of the League of Ireland earning an additional place in next season's Europa League.

The latest figures show that Ireland is in fifth place in the UEFA Respect Fair Plan Rankings, just .01 points behind third placed England. With the top three countries set to be rewarded with an additional Europa League place, the League of Ireland is within striking distance of claiming an extra European qualification spot.

The final rankings, which are based on club and national team performances until 30 April, will not be released until May.

The additional place would be awarded on the basis of the League of Ireland's Fair Play table. Bohemians finished top of the Fair Play table, with Shamrock Rovers in second place. As both of these clubs have already qualified for European competition next season, the additional place would go to either Drogheda United or Galway United, who finished in joint third position in the League of Ireland Fair Play table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Report from RTE which may be of particular interest to Drogs and Galway fans:

And so comes the Pro-License debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Heard on Newstalk that George O'Callaghan is back with Cork.
    Did I miss this?

I thought they were well suited before, but they are a perfect match now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Heard on Newstalk that George O'Callaghan is back with Cork.
    Did I miss this?

He has been training with City the past week or so. Roddy said in an interview recently that he is hoping to agree financial terms with George soon.

City actually have a friendly next week, which I might end up taking a drive down for...
    Breaking News: Buzz O'Connells Crosshaven are to face Roddy Collins new look Cork City in a friendly match in St Colmans Park, Cobh on Friday night 29th Jan. Kick Off 7:45pm. Buzz is expected to include a few guests while Roddy is set to try out a few potential signings. All in all should be a great night out. Come along and support the lads!

Advertisement