Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to head to a good, cheep spot where I can learn to surf on the continent.

Options
  • 26-11-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I've been looking forward to getting into surfing for ages now, and my birthday being on the way, I think it's an ideal time to try it out. What I'm thinking is heading off with a few mates (some of which have gone out once or twice) and going somewhere like France or Spain and having the craic. Thing is, we will need lessons and gear, and really I don't have a clue where to start.

So is there any spot you can recommend around that area, and if you know of any good surfing schools too it would be great to hear about them. We'll be doing things on a budget, so after looking at San Sebastian and Biatriz I have tried to start looking for somewhere a little more quaint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

munkifisht wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to getting into surfing for ages now, and my birthday being on the way, I think it's an ideal time to try it out. What I'm thinking is heading off with a few mates (some of which have gone out once or twice) and going somewhere like France or Spain and having the craic. Thing is, we will need lessons and gear, and really I don't have a clue where to start.

So is there any spot you can recommend around that area, and if you know of any good surfing schools too it would be great to hear about them. We'll be doing things on a budget, so after looking at San Sebastian and Biatriz I have tried to start looking for somewhere a little more quaint.

Get a cheap trip to lanzarote, there's a beach there called Famara which has a number of schools - there is a British run one that looked good

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Here's one, I was here back in March,going again tomorrow morning.

http://www.arrifanasurflodge.com/index.htm

Maximum 8/1 students to instructor, he's very good, there were only 4 students the last time I was there.
    Great spot too, quiet and nice surf.

It's family run, he's a real surfer and his wife cooks all the meals, it's usually all inclusive and around 400 for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

Would have to agree with Portugal.

I found Arifana to be a bit big for me - and a bit difficult for my friend who was a beginner.

The year before I stayed in Lagos and signed up for 5 days of surfing with a local surf shop. The instructor (Andre) was great and he took us to different beaches around the place. http://www.lagossurfcenter.com/surfari.php

The instructor called Jesus (pronounced hey zeus) was crap though.

A surf camp might be the way to go but if you stay in Lagos, they drive from there to the beaches every day. Also, LAgos is a great party town and a nice place to boot.

Portugal is a very friendly place and I'd go back there for a surf trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 welish

I've gone with a crowd called Surf-Atlantico twice this Summer. They were brilliant to be fair. Two sound lads from Devon direction, Ben and Dan. They supply all the gear, all accomodation, and some food too. They collect you at the airport and drive you around for the week. The tuition is great because it's more or less one to one, and they'll bring you to all the best breaks depending on your level. You boys being beginners, they'll give you a lash at all the best beach breaks in Northern Spain. The website is surf-atlantico.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

I was in Cadiz in the South of Spain this year around the end of October. In the city there is a nice beach (with a surf school) and nearby you have your pick of beautiful beaches.
    Cadiz

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Arrifana can be big alright, was 12ft there at the end of last week, too big for me, but the rest of the week was fine around 4ft.

I've been to the Cadiz area before, just messed about in El Palmer http://magicseaweed.com/El-Palmar-Surf-Report/121/
    for one day, lovely beach, there was some surf about 3ft, I did get hassle off the local cops on the beach, I rented a board for the day and they were trying to tell me to move upto the other end of the beach of something. Cadiz is lovely too.

I do recommend Arrifana but if you want to stay in a nice town too then Cadiz might suit.

Advertisement